Pacific Parlour Car Temporary Withdrawal

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The whole train has never had wifi. It was only available (and barely at that) from the PPC.
Thanks.
They even unplug the modem in the PPC at night, and put it away in a cupboard. It continues to operate until the battery runs down, then it goes off. So if you get up in the morning before the attendant does, there won't be any wi-fi.

They can take the modem into an SSL, if one is substituted for a PPC. But if there is no first-class lounge on the train at all, I expect there is no wi-fi at all. It is always possible they could put a modem in the attendant's compartment of a sleeper-car (as they did on the SWC I was just on), but that would only be one car... I expect eventually they will do that on all LD sleeper cars (that's what my SWC attendant told me is the plan), but so far I've only seen it on the Chief. And of course, they operate off cell towers, so anywhere there is no cell service, there is no wi-fi (lots of that kind of terrain on the LD trains).

Nobody saying it is a matter of survival. But it is a matter of 1) convenience, 2) getting the amenities advertised, and 3) saving money on cellular data bills.

Whilst I think that we will all survive, it would suck to be someone that was able to take the time off work to take the train predicated on being able to use the wifi to remain connected to the office and then not have a connection.

Anyone know when in the spring they'll return?
Called Amtrak this AM, and the agent I spoke with told me (after putting me on hold twice) that they (the folks at the Amtrak call center, at least) didn't know when the PPCs would be taken out of service, or when they'd come back. :(

Called Amtrak this AM, and the agent I spoke with told me (after putting me on hold twice) that they (the folks at the Amtrak call center, at least) didn't know when the PPCs would be taken out of service, or when they'd come back. :(
The National Timetable says they'll be gone from mid-Jan to mid-March IIRC.

The National Timetable says they'll be gone from mid-Jan to mid-March IIRC.
Thanks! I'm looking at the old paper timetable here, which of course doesn't have that info.

i couldn't see where it said the ppc would be gone from mid january to mid march. at least not in the cs timetable in the national schedule which takes effect next month. i remember last year that they seemed to be taken off just to save money during the low ridership months as many folks reported the cars were just stored. do we know for sure about the fra mandated reglazing or is that just a rumor?

Earlier this month both the PPC attendant and my SCA said the cars would be out for 45 days beginning in mid January.

The PPC attendant said the glass was fine in the upper level. The lower level is currently closed because it does not have the FRA compliant glass. He did not believe they had the glass panels needed for the lower level and he strongly doubted the lower level panels would be replaced during the 45 day window. He also added that 45 days was the official word, but it might be longer. He just hoped that the cars would return.

Who knows how much inside information the crew actually had. To me it was just good speculation.

i couldn't see where it said the ppc would be gone from mid january to mid march. at least not in the cs timetable in the national schedule which takes effect next month. i remember last year that they seemed to be taken off just to save money during the low ridership months as many folks reported the cars were just stored. do we know for sure about the fra mandated reglazing or is that just a rumor?
It's in the National Timetable that is currently in effect. Page 89. Since it went into effect back on April 6, 2015, I have assumed that the "mid-January though mid-March unavailability" is referring to 2016.

The lower level is currently closed because it does not have the FRA compliant glass.
I just rode the CS leaving LAX on 12/16, we had a PPC, and the lower level was most definitely NOT closed. They had a seasonal Disney movie playing. I went down there to check it out, but did not stay for the movie.
I guess this just shows the inconsistency in Amtrak, even on the same route. On Dec 6, the lower level was closed and the glass was given as the reason. Maybe some of the five parlour cars have been retrofitted with the compliant glass. Maybe one crew just did not want to bother opening the downstairs. Maybe one crew opened the lower level, when they were not supposed to. Perhaps, there was some other reason - or not. The lower level really does not matter to me, I just hope they bring back the back the cars after the shutdown.

I just received the following email from Amtrak:

Important Amtrak Alert (Reservation number xxxxxx)

We are contacting you today to inform you that starting January 6 through March 1, 2016, the Pacific Parlour car will be removed from the Coast Starlight trains for maintenance. During this period, the Dining car and Sightseer Lounge car will continue to be available for passengers.

I expect more than a 1 day notice from Amtrak regarding this. I'm on the train leaving tomorrow and will report if they have a replacement. Who would I call to moan about this if they have no replacement? Amtrak or Amtrak guest rewards since it's an agr redemption?

i am on the cs leaving pdx on friday and will miss the advertised amenity of the ppc also. last year, amtrak did not substitute a ssl or ccc as a first class lounge. i doubt they will this year. last year there was little if any maintenance done to the cars. it was evidently a cost cutting move. same this year i would guess

Then I must be a sinner, I'm riding it in February. :eek:hboy: I just received that email too and it sounds as if there's no replacement car, such as a CCC. Just the usual SSL between coach and the diner. At least I'll be in on the train in a bedroom.

I just received the following email from Amtrak:

Important Amtrak Alert (Reservation number xxxxxx)

We are contacting you today to inform you that starting January 6 through March 1, 2016, the Pacific Parlour car will be removed from the Coast Starlight trains for maintenance. During this period, the Dining car and Sightseer Lounge car will continue to be available for passengers.
I'll be on the CS in a couple of weeks and I got the email, too. Bummer. Can't say I'm surprised.

We are traveling mid January on #11 and received email from Amtrak today regarding the Pacific Parlour car. It will be removed from Jan 6 through March 1,2016. The dining car and sightseer lounge car will continue to be available.

#11 and #14 will operate just like the other western LD trains with crowded SSL forcing Sleeper and Coach passengers back to their cars. If the Consist is still 3 sleepers and 4 coaches, that is a lot of passengers for the two food/lounging cars.

I guess business class pax don't rate an email. I'm on the CS on Sunday and didn't get one. Was looking forward to the wine tasting. I guess that's not on?

the ppc is, of course, an advertised amenity for both sleeper and business class. we are getting the shaft and keep coming back for more. i'll probably call customer relations but won't hope for much from them. doubt they are even aware of this brilliant move their management is patting themselves on the back for

Back