Pacific Parlour Car Permanently Retired February 2018

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Our cars are exempt from ADA and we have gutted rebuilt the interiors as recent as 2016 and 2017. One was built in 1947 and one was in 1948. As long as the actual shell was built prior to the ADA cutoff I'm not sure about what the legislation says but it should be exempt.

Now that I think about it buying all five of the PPCs could make a good dinner train. #badideas

How is anything on the upper level of any of the cars ADA compliant? You'd have to climb the stairs to get there.

How is anything on the upper level of any of the cars ADA compliant? You'd have to climb the stairs to get there.
As I understand it, for the most part, so long as disabled passengers have access to the same services and amenities as able-bodied passengers, it's allowed. Since disabled pax can get rooms or seats on the lower level, can get their meals brought to their rooms, etc, it's allowed.

Now that I think about it buying all five of the PPCs could make a good dinner train. #badideas
Or first reduce oneself to a Hundredaire from a Millionnaire as the necessary mechanical repairs and upgrades are completed using hand crafted replacement parts - or something like that. And then one has to figure out the food stuff and the rest of it.
default_help.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Or first reduce oneself to a Hundredaire from a Millionnaire as the necessary mechanical repairs and upgrades are completed using hand crafted replacement parts - or something like that. And then one has to figure out the food stuff and the rest of it.
default_help.gif
There a bunch of Hi-Levels at Ozark Mountain Railcar. He could buy one or two of those for parts. And there are a lot of rail fans who would love to take a ride in the PPCs once again. Not saying that he should do this, but it is theoretically feasible.

Last edited by a moderator:
Does the cost and severity of maintenance change if you remove them from active interchange duty and keep them isolated on private tracks? Just wondering how relatively tiny tourist railroads keep their rolling stock funcational without running into Amtrak level maintenance problems.

I think a lot of volunteer labor and the relatively few pieces that have to be maintained to run at generally much slower speed with much lower accepted reliability makes a huge difference. Running stuff on an isolated tourist line is a very different thing from running cars attached to Amtrak trains on main line at track speed.

But Seaboard I am sure can give a much more knowledgeable answer.

I've never actually worked on an isolated network so I actually don't have an answer at least from experience. But I do have some anecdotal experience from friends in the industry.

The only completely off network one I've been exposed to by a friend is Stone Mountain Scenic and they purposely took their interchange out so they wouldn't be under the same regulations as every other railroad by no longer being under the FRA. Now I'm not sure how true that really is.

But one key fact to remember the slower you run the less wear and tear from operations you'll have. Now as far as HVAC that's a different story. So electrical stuff will still face the same load as before. I'll have to ask a few friends who are Carmen for an isolated road and see what they get back to me with.

For the record I wouldn't actually buy the PPCs I hate one of a kind equipment and try to avoid it when purchasing. Unless it's a Cascade Club from the Southern Pacific (Three unit diner, club, lounge) that's a one of a kind car that majorly interests me.

Does the cost and severity of maintenance change if you remove them from active interchange duty and keep them isolated on private tracks? Just wondering how relatively tiny tourist railroads keep their rolling stock funcational without running into Amtrak level maintenance problems.
My son volunteers with the Black River & Western in NJ. Their idea of "head end power" is 120VAC single phase running the lights in each car from a portable generator up front with twist-lock connectors between cars. Of course we're talking heavyweight cars with windows that open. What with sealed windows, three-phase HVAC, and on-board cooking equipment, the PPCs are a whole different kettle of fish!

Just saw a Pacific Parlour car on the end of a westbound UP freight at Benson, AZ today. What's up with that?
As they were all sold a while back, perhaps the car is just being moved (deadhead) to a new location (owner?). Unoccupied passenger cars may be moved as part of a freight train.
If you had the number it could likely be traced.

Back