P42 Cab Cam?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fredevad

Lead Service Attendant
I noticed this in the cab window of a P42 Saturday when Amtrak Hiawatha 337 arrived in Milwaukee. Is this a video camera, and is it "standard" aboard Amtrak trains?

DSC00027.jpeg

If so, it seems like it would be invaluable to the NTSB and/or Amtrak.

Thanks in advance! Now back to video editing... err.... I mean work.

Yes, it is a camera. Yes, they are eventually being installed on every locomotive/cab car in the system.

AFAIK that program rolled out a couple of years ago and was completed sometime last year. Each of the diesel road motors (with the exception of the P-32-8s) should have them. IIRC they're working on it for the electric fleet but there's not as much of a rush since they run on cab signals all the time and there are only a handful of grade crossings.

I noticed this in the cab window of a P42 Saturday when Amtrak Hiawatha 337 arrived in Milwaukee. Is this a video camera, and is it "standard" aboard Amtrak trains?

DSC00027.jpeg

If so, it seems like it would be invaluable to the NTSB and/or Amtrak.

Thanks in advance! Now back to video editing... err.... I mean work.
I think that's where you put the quarter in.

We are all in grave danger now. That camera is what the demon locomotive uses to find it's prey.

Last edited by a moderator:
I got a good shot of that looking out of the front of 27's lounge and into the rear cab. It's labeled "Silent Witness".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back