Orlando Light Rail

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Actually, A LOT of Florida cities could use improved public transit. Wouldn't you agree jph? I lived in Miami, and it's a real mess there.

How do Florida's millions of elderly retirees get around with little or no practical public transportation? Do they simply clog the roads with half blind slow reaction drivers?

Last edited by a moderator:
In the area where I live (Brevard County at the so called Space Coast) there is a significant so called Paratransit network consisting of scheduled or on call service. And like almost everywhere in the US as far as transit goes, it is less adequate than desirable. This is in addition to the local bus network, which is a large network with less than desirable frequency of service.

In the more rural parts of the county where villages are many miles apart, it is still a case of transportation provided by someone you know among your network of friends. Both the paratransit and transit system operates more or less exclusively closer to the shore. A lot of the area between the St. Johns River and I-95 in Brevard County is sparsely populated farmlands and orchards outside the incorporated cities and villages, with no public transit system in place.

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually, A LOT of Florida cities could use improved public transit. Wouldn't you agree jph? I lived in Miami, and it's a real mess there.
Orlando and suburbs at least has a viable and usable public transit system with a relatively dense bus network. Even that much cannot be said about many smaller cities and towns in Florida.

Lynx isn't perfect, but they are gradually growing in size and improving service. In August they are introducing another new route to the Bithlo area, which only has one route in that area (past Alafaya Trail that is). As for how people put up with 30-60 minute frequency on many routes, we learn to live with it.

How do Florida's millions of elderly retirees get around with little or no practical public transportation? Do they simply clog the roads with half blind slow reaction drivers?
The second choice is my experience.
I don't know about all of the state, but drivers in the Miami area are pretty much the same as New York or New Jersey, with a Latin flair. But maybe there aren't as many retirees in Miami anymore. One of my grandmothers never learned to drive - well she got her license after my grandfather died at my father's insistence - but she never drove, and she lived on the Beach for 20 years and got around fine by bus.

Back