One Amtrak code to rule them all

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
One Amtrak code to rule them all

The fun's been taken out of the Amtrak discount code game recently, thanks to the introduction of a "super code" -- a discount code that works to get you 25 percent off any train, any time except holiday weekends between now and Dec. 14, according to this report by Sascha Segan published by www.frommers.com. More on that later.

If you're looking for major savings on the rails, your first stop should still be Amtrak's weekly specials page, where they sell tickets on specific routes from a few days to a month in advance at up to 90 percent off.

If you can't find your route on the weekly sale page (and remember, it changes every week), don't despair. Discount codes cover many of Amtrak's most popular routes. Sometimes they're also combinable with senior, children's, or AAA discounts. So pile on the discounts to get the absolute lowest fares.

To use a discount code, start booking a ticket on www.amtrak.com. On the page with the list of trains, marked "2 - Select Train" -- there's a promotion code field near the bottom. Enter the code before you click the "View Fare" button. If one code doesn't work, try another.

Codes almost never work during peak holiday travel times. That means from Sept. 1-4; Oct. 6-9; Nov. 9-12; Nov. 21-28; and Dec. 15-Jan. 7, you're on your own. Also, in general, code fares require a three-day advance purchase.

What's The Super Code?

The super code that's driving everyone crazy is H570. It works in the Northeast Corridor, on Acela high-speed trains, in the Midwest, the West, the South ... all over our fair land. Punch it in, and pow, it's 25 percent off.

H570 is an Amtrak Guest Rewards promotion, so if you want to follow the rules, sign up for Amtrak's free frequent-traveler program at www.amtrakguestrewards.com and get a membership number. And Amtrak told me it doesn't work on the Auto Train or 'selected California services,' but works on all other trains nationwide.

The only better discount available to the general public is Amtrak's group fare, and you need four people to make that cheaper. If you are, indeed, traveling in a group of four to six adults in the Northeast, use code H620 for travel between now and December 14. That gives the third through sixth people 75 percent off.

But I'm not one to count on a code lasting forever. So let me arm you with a true arsenal of smaller-gauge codes out there right now. If H570 falls to pieces, you'll still be able to save with one of these other deals.

On the East Coast, codes V617 will take 20 percent off the fare on the Carolinian (trains 79/80) and Piedmont (trains 73/74) running between New York City and Charlotte, NC for travel through Dec. 3. The code works with any two stations on those lines. Code V662 extends your 20 percent discount all the way south to Miami, working with any two stations on the Silver Star, trains 91/92. That one will work well into '07.

Pairs can bump their savings up to 25 percent each using companion fare codes. (Amtrak phrases this as 50 percent off the second ticket, but I like to think of it as 25 percent off each of two tickets. Same difference.) Use codes V383 (through Sept. 11) or V769 (through Dec. 11) to knock 25 percent off of pairs of tickets in the Northeast, except on the high-speed Acela/Metroliner trains. Code V707 works for any trip within the state of New York, as far north as Plattsburgh and as far west as Niagara Falls.

Midwesterners aren't left out of the code fun. Code V663 only gives 10 percent off, but it works on a wide range of trains, like the Texas Eagle (trains 21/22 from Chicago all the way to Fort Worth) and everything that runs from Chicago south to St. Louis and Kansas City, through Dec. 14.

Head north for code V524, giving you 15 percent off all destinations on the Empire Builder train from Chicago to Minneapolis, Montana, and ultimately Seattle and Portland Oregon through December 14.

In the West, code H625 gives a powerful 25 percent off all trips on the Cascades trains between Oregon, Washington State, and Vancouver through Oct. 31.

There's one code I want to warn you against, because I've seen some rumors swirling around the Internet without explanation. If you hear about V675, which supposedly offers tremendous savings, don't bite. It's an Icelandair employee discount, and you need an Icelandair employee ID number. Stick with the codes I list above.

Codes That Are, You Know, For Kids

Kids up to the age of 15 ride free this summer on two Amtrak trains: the Auto Train any day through Sept. 3 (use code H608) and the Hiawatha between Chicago and Milwaukee, though that one's only on Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays through Aug. 27 (use code H615). In both cases, you can bring along two free kids per full-fare-paying adult.

Parents of teens have an even more flexible option. High schoolers traveling with an adult can get a free ticket anywhere in the US by filling out the form at www.campusvisit.com/amtrak and pledging to visit a college campus on their trip. Interesting fact: did you know that nearly every town of any size in the USA has a college in it? I'm just sayin'.

In Canada, They Don't Use Codes

Canadians don't have codes. They just have discounts. A few summer discounts on our northern neighbour's VIA RAIL system are definitely worth mentioning.

On Saturdays through Sept. 9, trips of around three hours or less in Canada's most-traveled rail corridor are 50 percent off. That includes trains from Montreal to Ottawa or Quebec City and Niagara Falls to Toronto. Book on www.viarail.ca and pick the "Comfort Discounted Fare" when you're buying.

You can combine that promotion with VIA's impressive kids-travel-free promo, which gives you one free ticket for a child 11 or under for every adult ticket you buy, anywhere in Canada in Comfort (coach) class, on any day -- not just Saturdays. That promotion runs through Sept. 15.

If you're 60 or older, you can take along a companion of any age for free in Comfort class, and at a 75 percent discount in first class. VIA labels this somewhat complicated discount as "for seniors," but I'm laughing at the age requirement. My dad is in his early sixties, and he has absolutely no resemblance to a senior citizen whatsoever.

(The preceding report by Sascha Segan was published by www.frommers.com on Friday, July 28, 2006.)

July 31, 2006

What makes you think this is an "ethical list". This is from Frommers, who publish lists of codes that are designed for specific purposes and specific target markets. This is not ethical and this issue has been discussed on this Forum before. I don't understand why BNSF would post this either. As I have stated before, if those people on this Forum are truly interested in the success of Amtrak, they will use the NARP discount of 10% and ride as often as possible to generate revenue for the company, not look for ways to spend less.

I will agree with the last "guest" post, but some of my closest friends have been "on the fence" on taking Amtrak due to the cost. The coach fare always looks great, but leaving from Lincoln NE in the middle of the night, people start to look at the sleeper accomodations and that always scares them off no matter how much "selling" I do. (its your hotel, your not racking miles up on your car, you don't have to drive all night, you get all your meals free) I have recently checked out the H570 promo code and it does make coach travel very commendable. I guess in my opinion, if Amtrak didn't want these codes used at all, they wouldn't have them. If your grocery store chain has been reported to have low earnings, would you stand in line and tell the checker at the stand that you would rather pay full price for the case of Coke instead of paying the $3.00 per warm case that they are advertising in the newspaper? ;)

If it's published in the general media, and I include Frommers in that, then I say it's available, and everybody should be encouraged to use the information. Get over it.

The Frommers article undoubtedly will get more passengers for Amtrak, and more passengers = more clout with the politicians which = harder for Bush to kill Amtrak. If Amtrak doesn't like that, then they can change their codes, which they are always free to do in any case. At which point they will have fewer passengers, rather than more of them, and their support base will shrink instead of grow.

And in case you aren't able to connect these very large and obvious dots, here they are:

Amtrak has discount codes as a marketing tool, to increase the number of passengers that ride on Amtrak. That's what promotions are FOR. They don't do their job if you make them, program them into the reservations computer, and then lock them up in a vault so nobody can find out about them and therefore have nobody use them. Frommers did them a favor by publishing them. They will gain new passengers. And some of those new passengers will like the experience enough that they will ride Amtrak in the future, and they will tell their friends and relatives about the experience, which will also tend to increase passenger counts for the future. All of which is the whole reason behind discount codes, and none of which will happen if those codes are held in a vault and not disseminated. It's called marketing and that's how it works.

Golly Mr. Atmtrak WPK, thanks for the marketing lesson.

I am specifically referring to those people on this forum who profess to want to keep Amtrak alive. It does Amtrak no good if people who are planning to take a trip already begin to convert their full fares - or 10% discount fares to deep discount fares. Even if it means one more trip. I would rather see two fares with a 10% discount than two fares at 50% off.

That's called Math.

What makes you think this is an "ethical list". This is from Frommers, who publish lists of codes that are designed for specific purposes and specific target markets. This is not ethical and this issue has been discussed on this Forum before. I don't understand why BNSF would post this either. As I have stated before, if those people on this Forum are truly interested in the success of Amtrak, they will use the NARP discount of 10% and ride as often as possible to generate revenue for the company, not look for ways to spend less.

This is a totally bizarre response to a very good & helpful post. Frommers.com is a consumer-focused website & this information will probably be referenced in some way in "Frommer's Budget Travel" magazine. The entire article was carried on today's UTU website, utu.org, in their Amtrak/Commuter News section. I'm sure the UTU is interested in enhancing Amtrak's revenue, not diminishing it. If one isn't interested in taking advantage of a legitimate discount Amtrak offers, that is certainly one's choice. Don't try to make one person's choice the imperative for others.

Besides that, the more money one saves on a given trip increases the ability to take more trips.

60 years ago when I was a kid, my parents took us to fair. Rides were 6 for $.25, less than a nickle each ride. The rides were always full and held probably 30-40 kids each ride.

When my kids were small we would take them to the fair. The rides were $1-$2 each and there were maybe 4-5 kids on the ride each time.

Doesn't take a rocket scientist to do the math.

Lower the price a little and they will come.

Want a full ride at a smaller price, or a not-full ride at a high price?

I'm now over 62 and I get a discount every time I ride Amtrak just because of my age. Am I cheating the system? I don't think so.

For the Guest that posted: " I would rather see two fares with a 10% discount than two fares at 50% off. That's called Math. ", the 'super discount code 'posted was "a discount code that works to get you 25 percent off any train, any time except holiday weekends between now and Dec. 14,". Now, two fares at 25% off, doesn't equate to 50% off. That's also called Math.

And I suspect that the discount code in question is set to 25% because Marketing decided that a 10% discount would not be sufficient to trigger the non-buying public and turn them into a buying public, and that 25% would be necessary to do that. And selling tickets is the goal in Marketing. Raising market share. You lower prices a substantial percentage for a limited time in order to create a surge in purchasing, usually from the folks that would not otherwise have tried your product. You lower it by an amount calculated to get the increased sales that you are interested in. 10%, 25%, 50%, 5%, whatever it is, you set it according to your goal of sales and your perception of what percentage will be required to meet that goal. And that goal may be for more than one purpose. One purpose may be to increase overall sales, and you are gambling then that the increase in sales will net you a higher profit in the end, even at a lower profit per unit sold. Another purpose would be to generate sales from people who had never tried your product but may be enticed to do so if the price drops far enough to make it appear to be a real bargain. Another reason to drop prices incrementally would be for a given, small segment of the market (geographically), to drop it in increments to see what price level is necessary in order to start significantly growing that geographical market. It's Amtrak's decision as to what level of discount to offer, and it is Amtrak's Marketing Department that makes that decision, subject to review from on high. I doubt very much that the discounts are set arbitrarily without any real thought. They don't have to get our approval.

Last edited by a moderator:
Golly Mr. Atmtrak WPK, thanks for the marketing lesson.I am specifically referring to those people on this forum who profess to want to keep Amtrak alive. It does Amtrak no good if people who are planning to take a trip already begin to convert their full fares - or 10% discount fares to deep discount fares. Even if it means one more trip. I would rather see two fares with a 10% discount than two fares at 50% off.

That's called Math.
there are no 50% off codes. Why not become a member of this group instead of being listed as a guest?

If it's published in the general media, and I include Frommers in that, then I say it's available, and everybody should be encouraged to use the information. Get over it. The Frommers article undoubtedly will get more passengers for Amtrak, and more passengers = more clout with the politicians which = harder for Bush to kill Amtrak. If Amtrak doesn't like that, then they can change their codes, which they are always free to do in any case. At which point they will have fewer passengers, rather than more of them, and their support base will shrink instead of grow.

And in case you aren't able to connect these very large and obvious dots, here they are:

Amtrak has discount codes as a marketing tool, to increase the number of passengers that ride on Amtrak. That's what promotions are FOR. They don't do their job if you make them, program them into the reservations computer, and then lock them up in a vault so nobody can find out about them and therefore have nobody use them. Frommers did them a favor by publishing them. They will gain new passengers. And some of those new passengers will like the experience enough that they will ride Amtrak in the future, and they will tell their friends and relatives about the experience, which will also tend to increase passenger counts for the future. All of which is the whole reason behind discount codes, and none of which will happen if those codes are held in a vault and not disseminated. It's called marketing and that's how it works.
thanks for giving our guest a lesson on marketing. I even learned something and my name is available as well.

For the Guest that posted: " I would rather see two fares with a 10% discount than two fares at 50% off. That's called Math. ", the 'super discount code 'posted was "a discount code that works to get you 25 percent off any train, any time except holiday weekends between now and Dec. 14,". Now, two fares at 25% off, doesn't equate to 50% off. That's also called Math. And I suspect that the discount code in question is set to 25% because Marketing decided that a 10% discount would not be sufficient to trigger the non-buying public and turn them into a buying public, and that 25% would be necessary to do that. And selling tickets is the goal in Marketing. Raising market share. You lower prices a substantial percentage for a limited time in order to create a surge in purchasing, usually from the folks that would not otherwise have tried your product. You lower it by an amount calculated to get the increased sales that you are interested in. 10%, 25%, 50%, 5%, whatever it is, you set it according to your goal of sales and your perception of what percentage will be required to meet that goal. And that goal may be for more than one purpose. One purpose may be to increase overall sales, and you are gambling then that the increase in sales will net you a higher profit in the end, even at a lower profit per unit sold. Another purpose would be to generate sales from people who had never tried your product but may be enticed to do so if the price drops far enough to make it appear to be a real bargain. Another reason to drop prices incrementally would be for a given, small segment of the market (geographically), to drop it in increments to see what price level is necessary in order to start significantly growing that geographical market. It's Amtrak's decision as to what level of discount to offer, and it is Amtrak's Marketing Department that makes that decision, subject to review from on high. I doubt very much that the discounts are set arbitrarily without any real thought. They don't have to get our approval.
keep talking I'm learning a lot. And I purchased my ticket to reno because of the price when using the promo code,when I was just going to Phila to a museum. So they got more out of me plus I just like to ride anyway. Train 5, & 6 are fast becoming my faviorte.

Although I have to agree that I'd prefer Amtrak getting a fair price for the passengers it carries, all of the 'good news' in recent months has been about passenger increases: ridership on this route, that route and yonder route. No-one expects Amtrak to turn a profit, but when passenger numbers jump 10, 20 or 30%, as some routes have done in the last six months, then politicians, pundits and media hacks notice. If a Frommers article like that can get just 100 extra folk to take the train this month, and 1000 to even consider it as a possibility next time they plan a trip, then I'm happy.

*j*

So, if your a GM fan, and want GM to prosper (which they aren't doing right now) and you walk into a GM dealership and say, "I want to pay full price for the car, I don't want the rebate, and I don't want the 0.0% financing for 5 years, I want the 6.5% APR" wouldn't people think your a little crazy? I have been sharing the H570 code with people who are "considering" riding Amtrak for the first time. One is a family of 4, they are the ones who got ME to ride Amtrak by telling me that they have thought about taking Amtrak. They planted the seed in me! So, I'm riding in 4 weeks with my girlfriend, we are taking her two kids (newbies to Amtrak) and the family of 4 is checking fares for the first trip and may be booking soon, thats what its all about!!! Getting more hind ends in the seats!!!

So, if your a GM fan, and want GM to prosper (which they aren't doing right now) and you walk into a GM dealership and say, "I want to pay full price for the car, I don't want the rebate, and I don't want the 0.0% financing for 5 years, I want the 6.5% APR" wouldn't people think your a little crazy? I have been sharing the H570 code with people who are "considering" riding Amtrak for the first time. One is a family of 4, they are the ones who got ME to ride Amtrak by telling me that they have thought about taking Amtrak. They planted the seed in me! So, I'm riding in 4 weeks with my girlfriend, we are taking her two kids (newbies to Amtrak) and the family of 4 is checking fares for the first trip and may be booking soon, thats what its all about!!! Getting more hind ends in the seats!!!

Anyone want to argue with this? I didn't think so. Good job, r.r.! :D

I can see both points of view, but do agree that the incentives with the 570 code have boosted ridership numbers, something which Amtrak really could use in its corner in its funding battles. Congress would be less likely to give the trains a hard way to go when they show increasing ridership.

Yes, the code has INCREASED the amount of times I'll be riding this year. In fact, tomorrow, I'll take my SHORTEST trip on Amtrak as a result of a code - a 15 minute trip from Baltimore to BWI to attend training. In September, the low rates for Amtrak to Chicago encouraged TWO of my friends to join me on this rail voyage round trip, since it was about $80 cheaper for each of us (and more versatile in setting our return course), than using Southwest.

Besides, soon enough, our precious 570 code will run its course and be retired. Hopefully, as a result, new riders will be introduced to the appeal of the rails and return for more voyages in the coming years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back