NYP-Club Acela-Closed for refurbishment?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just heard from someone who works from Amtrak (not in New York) who casually stated that the Club Acela in NYP is closed for renovations now. I sort of cross-examined him and he backed off and stated that it was scheduled to close, but he is not sure it is closed. He said he would check on this and get back to me. Steve, I know that you are very interested in the answer to this question and I will try to find out the answer and I will post here.
@Thirdrail7 : do you know the renovation schedule for the Club Acela in NYP? Thanks.

I appreciate your penny and thirdrail. This is hardly life and deaf. I enjoy the lounge. But since I’m in a sleeper on the Silver Meteor on Monday 4/15 I can always sit in the main waiting room. I wouytry to negotiate a later checkout from my hotel if I knew it was closed for sure.

I heard from my friend, who heard from someone else that the lounge is open at this time. :)

Are the business travellers in the lounge going first class, or just going often enough to get Select status and thus have access to the lounge?

I'm there weekly and I would say based on non-scientific methods like how people are dressed, whether they are alone or with a partner, and what their phone conversations are like, it is about 2/3 business travelers and 1/3 pleasure folks. Whether they are FC or Status doesn't really matter to the question of why there are fewer people there during the summer: there are fewer government and business travelers over the summer due to gv't off-season and business vacations and both FC and S+/SE travelers most often fall into those categories.

I'd tell you whether I notice fewer travelers over the summer except that I don't use it at all then, so one less person right there. ;)

I'm just so relieved it isn't shutting down. It makes my life so much easier.

I'm relieved as well.... I'm there a few days each week, and even though it's only for about a half hour before getting on the 4:40 Empire, it's totally worth it. Just a quick run up the stairs from the A train, after grabbing my single serve Sauvignon blanc from the wine shop below. It's one of the reasons I don't take the metro north

The CA is open and functional. The agent greeted me and when I told her I was on 97 she confirmed I was in the sleeper and excepted my verbal confirmation. I was already taking my phone out to show my ticket. Nice touch.

The air circulation is poor and the drink station is out of service. Bottled water and sodas are kept in a refrigerator that is not refrigerating. As always the seats are comfortable so I’m fine. The new lounge will be interesting to experience.

Back