NYP Acela lounge experience

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tracks moved outside Penn Station itself. It is still around. Not sure if the new location is open yet or not.

True, I meant gone from the station and a bit less convenient. I was walking down 31st across the street from the main MSG service entrance about a month ago and saw what looked to be it's future location. Haven't checked since.

Most people taking the Acela can't get in, ironically. You have to be FC or S+/SE if you're doing the Acela. But as I said, the reason to be there isn't the amenities, it's the early track announcements and the clean bathrooms. I just kind of hoped there'd be a seat while I was waiting... we'll see how that goes. I'll be there Friday and will find out for myself.

I also find it's convenient for charging electronics so you don't have to worry about clotheslining your neighbor on the train if you like the aisle. It was also about seats that were more comfortable than the airport gate style waiting room but I don't know if the new easy chairs fit that bill since I basically just had time to throw my stuff on a table, grab the usual pretzels and Diet Pepsi for the trip and use the bathroom.

In addition to the new furniture I noticed none of the agents in the lounge were the same people I used to see before, who knew my usual train and often checked me in without looking at my card. There was also only one person at the desk instead of the usual 2-3. Between the new people and the new furniture it was unsettling, like being in an alternate reality. Then I looked at the snack and drink counter and realized all was the same.

Last week one of the lounge agents said United Club members might lose Acela Lounge access as of 11/1 because the contract may not be renewed. Apparently there is a gripe about reciprocity, because Select Plus members don't have the same access in United lounges. If that happens I won't be visiting the lounge anymore and will probably drop my United Mastercard with the hefty annual fee that gives me United Club membership, since I don't fly enough to justify the cost.

Sounds like a cost savings measure as employees to staff the clubs cost money significantly greater than the cost of the cheap upgrades made which actually reduce cleaning and maintenance expenses. They have been doing these types of changes across Amtrak. To me as I wouldn’t use this old club, I am glad Amtrak got rid of dead weight as funds can be reallocated to other necessary improvements.

It's one thing to want disagreeable staff retrained or replaced with more competent employees, but whenever someone cheers on permanent staff reductions for others I find myself wondering what that person does and whether that industry might benefit from its own "dead weight" reductions. What's good for the goose is good for the gander.

We want employees that contribute to the betterment of Amtrak, not consume resources that aren’t necessary so government funds can be used more wisely. Everyone knew the Acela club at Penn needed to have permanent cuts just as permanent cuts have been made where stations had Amtrak employees around which were eliminated. I give Richard Anderson credit for trying to restrain the out of control spending at Amtrak.

I've never seen food or drinks at NYP. I figured either it ran out or the staff never bothered. Fortunetly, Boston South Station is always full. Ton of snacks, free bottled drinks, news papers, etc. So I stuff my bag! The BOS staff do look at me.... then I point out, I'm going to NYP

Here is how things look on a Wednesday with the 4pm Acela delayed

Attachments

• DF986169-1E35-4CA3-84FB-6F8D9E7F7312.jpeg
    DF986169-1E35-4CA3-84FB-6F8D9E7F7312.jpeg
    85.4 KB · Views: 48
  • 37C5E199-EC56-4BF6-A2A3-180E254A8970.jpeg
    37C5E199-EC56-4BF6-A2A3-180E254A8970.jpeg
    99.4 KB · Views: 48
  • E82427E8-6A60-4AF5-875E-A85F7A399E3E.jpeg
    E82427E8-6A60-4AF5-875E-A85F7A399E3E.jpeg
    76.9 KB · Views: 48
  • 47312054-7A94-4517-BFAA-5782A1EF2EE5.jpeg
    47312054-7A94-4517-BFAA-5782A1EF2EE5.jpeg
    74.3 KB · Views: 46
  • A9848F08-FDD1-4377-8C64-D07A92FD8984.jpeg
    A9848F08-FDD1-4377-8C64-D07A92FD8984.jpeg
    77.9 KB · Views: 46
Yeah... I don't really know what the point is. I'd just assume stand under the solari... oh wait... we can't even have that anymore. :(

I just repeated what others had said about less employees at the Club. I have no idea if its true or not but I don’t see any reason I would use the club even if I took Acela on First Class. You don’t need to wait in advance for TSA security lines and the quickest way to board Amtrak is not by going to the Amtrak area but by going to actual tracks.

the quickest way to board Amtrak is not by going to the Amtrak area but by going to actual tracks.
I used to do that but standing and staring at an unmoving screen for 20-30 minutes at a time (more when the train is late) gets old. Sit in leisurely fashion in the lounge, find out the track before it even shows on that screen, go down, done.

Side note... Their are two 4pm Acela's. One to DC and one to Boston. The train in question is the DC bound Acela. :)

Thanks for the clarification..... I knew the Acela ran in both directions but not that they leave NY at the same time.

Also, two of the usual lounge agents were back but I didn't get a chance to talk to them.

Sitting in there now. Far nicer, I think, especially the sofa near the entrance. I like the tables, as well. I can't judge crowds as I'm usually here at "rush hour" but today I got an early start so it's pretty quiet and empty at the moment.

Sitting in there now. Far nicer, I think, especially the sofa near the entrance. I like the tables, as well. I can't judge crowds as I'm usually here at "rush hour" but today I got an early start so it's pretty quiet and empty at the moment.

Yes the plethora of tables are a welcome addition.... there was no place to put your drink before which was annoying and cumbersome. Did you notice the ice machine is still broken lol

Yes the plethora of tables are a welcome addition.... there was no place to put your drink before which was annoying and cumbersome. Did you notice the ice machine is still broken lol
I did, ha! But the coffee machine was working, so there's that.

Thing I forgot to mention is that all the furniture just seems lighter both in color and design so that the room somehow feels less claustrophobic and oppressive, which was great. And the staff was actually quite decent, which makes me sad that I can't be there Friday mornings when everyone and everything seems so civilized.

I did, ha! But the coffee machine was working, so there's that.

Thing I forgot to mention is that all the furniture just seems lighter both in color and design so that the room somehow feels less claustrophobic and oppressive, which was great. And the staff was actually quite decent, which makes me sad that I can't be there Friday mornings when everyone and everything seems so civilized.

Was there yesterday morning. Here are two pictures:

IMG_6997.JPGIMG_6998.JPG

It was not busy at 8:30 AM.

Hi there, is it possible to sleep overnight in any of these lounges if you have a ticket for the train in the early AM and have a pass for the lounge? I'm curious specifically about the PHL Philadelphia metropolitan lounge.

Hi there, is it possible to sleep overnight in any of these lounges if you have a ticket for the train in the early AM and have a pass for the lounge? I'm curious specifically about the PHL Philadelphia metropolitan lounge.
No Lounge is open 24/7. In those Stations that do allow overnight lingering in Specified Locations, you must be ticketed and in the case of New Orleans you will be locked inside with No In and Out!

Philadelphia 30th Street Station is open 24 hours a day according to Amtrak.com

The 1st Class Lounge “Club Acela” is open from 6 am to 9 pm at Philadelphia.

Anybody been here lately? Curious if the lounge is still open/available during the construction going on. Got a message from Amtrak about waiting area disruptions/changes at NYP so just seeing if anyone's been through there lately and had access to the lounge. Thanks!

Anybody been here lately? Curious if the lounge is still open/available during the construction going on. Got a message from Amtrak about waiting area disruptions/changes at NYP so just seeing if anyone's been through there lately and had access to the lounge. Thanks!
I was there today. The main waiting area is closed and blocked off as the email says (I received it as well) but there's no change to the Acela lounge, it's open as usual. They even had the snacks stocked, if you can believe it. ;)

I was there today. The main waiting area is closed and blocked off as the email says (I received it as well) but there's no change to the Acela lounge, it's open as usual. They even had the snacks stocked, if you can believe it. ;)

Great thanks! Taking a roomette on the Meteor to FL in March and planning my arrival time to NYP. Wanna make sure I have a place to get away from the riff raff prior to boarding. I usually give myself an hour.

Back