NW mudslide season 2018-19

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A very interesting article, and the imbedded video of the 2012 mudslide and freight derailment is chilling. Don''t click on it right away if you want to finish reading the article, though, since the Everett Herald only gives you one free read before you have to sign up...but you can click on it once you finish, and honestly, you'll want to.

https://www.amtrak.com/alert/service-suspended-between-seattle-and-vancouver.html

Service Suspended Between Seattle and Vancouver Due to Landslide

January 04, 2019 05:00 PM

Due to a landslide, all Amtrak Cascade service will be suspended between Seattle and Vancouver through Sunday, January 6. Service is scheduled to resume on Sunday, January 6. Passengers will be provided alternative bus transportation.

We regret any inconvenience. This information is correct as of the above time and date. Information is subject to change as conditions warrant.

Anyone can subscribe to automated email or text message notifications if Amtrak trains are behind schedule at specific stations. Notifications can be given for up to six trains and stations by either text or email and delivered when you choose - on a single day, every day, or just certain days of the week. Create a subscription at Amtrak.com/delayalerts.

Passengers with travel plans also can confirm their train's status, change their plans or review refund information using a range of tools – including Amtrak.com, smartphone apps or by calling 800-USA-RAIL. Service Alerts, Passenger Notices, and other announcements are posted at Amtrak.com/alerts.

Guess the writer didn't have anyone to proof read that.  "suspended between Seattle and Vancouver through Sunday, January 6. Service is scheduled to resume on Sunday,"  Which is it?  Suspended till Monday or till Sunday?
I suppose it is poorly worded but it is possible to resume service on Sunday.  The moratorium is 48 hours from the event, meaning it is lifted on Sunday, at 4pm. There are departures on Sunday after 4pm.  Those trains COULD operate.

Correct, but there's no excuse for them not specifying it in the announcement....you get to a Vancouver whether you go north or south from Seattle. While the Canadian one is much larger, and also an endpoint for the Cascades, there's nothing in the service announcement that rules out the possibility of it being the Vancouver in Washington state.

That said, it's been a relatively quite winter so far in terms of mudslides along the Cascades route. Fingers crossed...

Sounder North Was Mudslide Free This Winter

I am totally tempting fate here by posting this, so sorry if I anger the gods, but I wanted to take a moment to recognize that there were no mudslide-induced cancellations on Sounder North this year.

Affecting the Seattle to Everett tracks also used by the Cascades SEA-VAC service and the Empire Builder.

Then so is the Builder. The real problem area is between Seattle and Everett.
Yes. The Empire Builder, however, can always use Stampede Pass. (Though if we were spending big money, Snoqualmie would be better.)

There are no options remaining for Seattle-Vancouver except greenfield construction. None. I'm wondering when the people in power will recognize this; they certainly haven't recognized it yet.

The only thing I think about Stampede Pass might be if Stevens is shut down a capacity issue with freights going over Stampede. But what I wouldn’t give to ride Stampede Pass.

BNSF does not want public to travel on the route in case of another slide. Liability? The landslide cancellations are kind of puzzling. The Empire builder drops all passengers at Everett. Then passengers are bussed to King street station. Then the empty train of passengers then proceeds onward thru Seattle King street station to the barn. Now do the OBS people stay on the train or do they also travel on the bus. ? If OBS and crew stay on do any of them have cars at King street? Suspect that the train might stop at King street to unload baggage?

Outbound passengers just the opposite.

BNSF does not want public to travel on the route in case of another slide. Liability? The landslide cancellations are kind of puzzling. The Empire builder drops all passengers at Everett. Then passengers are bussed to King street station. Then the empty train of passengers then proceeds onward thru Seattle King street station to the barn. Now do the OBS people stay on the train or do they also travel on the bus. ? If OBS and crew stay on do any of them have cars at King street? Suspect that the train might stop at King street to unload baggage?

It always depends on the situation. We usually get directed to ride the bus if there's space. Though last year I once opted to stay with the equipment. (We deadheaded from Bellingham to Vancouver due to a previous slide in New Westminster.) What a bad decision that was. Took us almost 6 hours to run from Bellingham to Vancouver, since we were in deadhead status.

One time I rode a Builder that was deadheaded up from Seattle (I was getting on in Everett anyway) and asked my SCA about that. She said they rode the train, and was kind of unhappy about it, saying that if it was unsafe for passengers, it was unsafe for them.

Back