Not Sure How to Feel...

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jen G

Train Attendant
[SIZE=medium]I’m not quite sure if I should be upset about any of this or not….I guess bottom line is that the attendant did her job…not well, but she did it.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Coming back from Clemson, SC…the northbound Crescent picked us up on time at 10:16PM. Our attendant was unable to assist me with getting our large rolling suitcase up the steps and on the train. I had to help pull it up…which is fine…just a struggle.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]She then informed me that she had already turned down our bed. This proved to be a major inconvenience. Trying to get two adults, a large suitcase, a small suitcase, 2 laptops, an overnight bag and my purse into the room and set away was impossible with the bed down. I wound up having to put the bed back up, climb on the vanity and put the suitcases away…while the train was moving. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]The next thing I do when I get into the room is Clorox it down with wipes. When I went into the bathroom I was just disgusted. It was wet, like someone had just taken a shower. The used soap was still in soap holder and another on the floor. The best part was having to clean the toilet, which was used and NOT clean. I don’t know how to say it kindly but it needed to be scrubbed. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Maybe I’m over reacting. Personally, I feel for the amount of money spent on the room, I should not have to clean human waste off the toilet from the previous occupants. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]After greeting us quickly when we boarded, the attendant disappeared. I put the bed back down when we were ready to sleep. I did not see her again until morning. I guess I’ve been spoiled with attendants coming by after we board to make sure we knew how everything worked. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]I decided a cup of coffee would be a good idea. Well, there was none in my car or the other sleeper. OK, so I went to the café to get 2 cups of coffee. The lady in the café car was very nice and I explained I was a smoker and asked if she knew what stops I could get off at. (I would have explained this to our attendant if she had come to our room after we boarded) She was kind enough to mark them on a schedule and let me know the next one was at 1:20AM and that if my car wasn’t open to walk over to coach. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]This is by no means the attendants fault…to add to the stress I was already feeling from this trip, somewhere in the middle of the night we lost an engine to another train that was disabled. We were about 1 hour late. Not a big deal at all.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]We then began to slow going through Virginia. An announcement was made that due to the lack of power at the head, we had to go slow going up the hills. With that, power went out in the car. No air but we still had lights.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]I don’t feel like any of this requires a call to customer service but maybe I’m wrong. I guess I’ve been spoiled. I’ve had wonderful attendants on most of my trips on the Silvers. I’ve written to Amtrak almost every time I’ve taken the train to Florida. The crews on the Meteor and Star are outstanding.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]In the end, we pulled into Penn a little over 2 hours late and for the first time…I couldn’t wait to get off the train.[/SIZE]

:( You definitely need to Call Customer Relations (1-800-USA-RAIL/when "Julie" Answers ask for Agent/when you get a Real Live Agent ask to be Connected to Customer Relations/not Customer Service) Have the Info from your Trip Ready (Rez #/Date/Car/Room#). There is No Excuse for what Happened, :angry: your Attendant (we call them SCA, Sleeping Car Attendant) was Lazy, it sounds like your Room May have been Occupied until just before you Boarded?? This Invisible SCA had a Room across the Room from the Shower and you could have gone and got them or Used the Call Button in your Room to get their Assistance, it's what they get Paid For! Hopefully this MIA Easy Rider Didn't get a Tip!!!! :help:

I've had car attendents that range from fantastic to 'just there'. I'd at least let Amtrak know you had concerns about your trip. Personel and equipment issues seem to be on the rise......or we are riding more......maybe a little of both. We lost 20 of 25 restrooms on the SWC last trip...I let Amtrak know.

That sounds worth a complaint to me.

If the attendant had time to reset the beds (Amtrak guidelines say that the room should be configured in the nighttime setup for passengers boarding after 10:00, so your attendant was correct there), they also should have had time to check and clean the restroom.

Over time I've determined that despite my general reluctance to seek compensation it's probably the only reliable way to start a paper trail that will eventually shine a spotlight on indifferent or abrasive staff members and poorly maintained hardware that can make travel by Amtrak such a risky proposition.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with everyone else. When you call, be sure to ask for Customer Relations, not Customer Service. They'll ask for your route, car number, room number, and date(s) of travel. Even if they don't issue a voucher, at least you can make your complaints known.

I'm sorry you had a bad experience.

Thanks for the suggestions.

I am hesitant to make the call. At one point, I over heard her talking to another passenger. She was saying that she had 7 weeks left until retirement. I don't want to get anyone in trouble.

I still love riding the train and will be making my plans for my trip next year...just waiting for some CC points to post so I can transfer them to AGR. This portion of my trip was paid....maybe I wouldn't have been so upset if it was a points trip! :unsure:

Concur.

Think of it this way. If someone had called about this person's performance before, your trip could have been better.

Wouldn't you like to try and make the next person's experience as good as it should be?

If the person gets in trouble, the fault doesn't go to you for pointing it out, it goes to them for not doing their job as well as they should be.

Well, I took everyone's advice and wound up calling.

The customer relations representative agreed that it should not have happened. She did also say that instead of me cleaning up, I should have found the attendant. I have to agree that this was probably my mistake but I guess I wasn't thinking clearly.

They did comp me...more than I ever expected. Which is super nice!

For all the bad things people say about Amtrak...I am beyond impressed with the customer service. I also made sure she noted how nice the woman was in the cafe car. Not all was negative. Positive should be acknowledged too.

I cant wait to book my next trip!

Thank you all again for the wonderful information. =)

:) Glad to hear you received Good Customer Service, Amtrak does a Good Job in this Area! I too try to Report the Positive Things and Staff when I Call in with a Complaint or Concern! On my just Completed 15 Day/10 Trains Trip Around America on the Way To/From the Gathering in Chicago, I had Excellent Service and Food with the Exception of One Metro Lounge Attendant in CHI

and One Invisible Sleeping Car Attendant! ;)

Glad you called, and even better that Amtrak responded. Kudos to you for making sure the positive experience was noted too.

Some of the nicest employees I've met have been on Amtrak, and every once in a while you get a lazy one. Or the one 7 weeks from retirement. Grrr. I'm 8 weeks from retirement myself, and am still doing my job. After all, they're paying us, so there's no excuse really.

Back