Northeast Regional business class

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi there,

My partner and I will be travelling on the Northeast Regional from New York to Boston in September. Really looking forward to it - only my second time in the USA (last time was nearly 15 years ago when I was 14). Especially interested because I work for a large British railway company...

Anyway, just a quick question about business class reservations on the Northeast Regional - I think I'm right in saying that there are no actual seat reservations? Could someone confirm this, and perhaps indicate whether it will be difficult to get a seat on the train.

Thanks,

Nick

Hello and welcome to the Northeast,

You are correct in saying that there are no actual seat reservations. You are guaranteed a seat in business class with your reservation but it is open seating on a first come, first serve basis. The business class car is located at the front end of the train and I would recommend sitting on the right side of the car as they offer the best views of the New England Coast through Connecticut and Rhode Island. Enjoy your stay in Boston (my hometown) and feel free to message me if you have any questions about Boston.

Enjoy your stay in the States,

BOS-T-Time

Last edited by a moderator:
Also be careful which "business class" you are referring to. There is on a Regional (regular) train either coach or business class. On the Acela (fast) train only business class and First Class. On the Acela, business class is the equivalent of coach on a regional!

And welcome back to the US! Enjoy your holiday! :)

Thank you both for the advice!

We're on the regional, not the Acela. Very much looking forward to it. Transferring from train to rental car in Boston and driving up for a week in Ogunquit, but we'll be back down to Boston for a day trip at some point...

Correct. No actual seat reservations. How easy or hard it would be to get a seat one desires, as opposed to a seat somewhere on the train depends on where you are boarding at what time of day etc. There have been entire threads discussing such matters around here. Generally, if you engage a Red Cap to take you to the train you'd stand a very good chance of getting a very good seat out of Boston.

Welcome back. I hope you enjoy your visit to the US.

To be clear, on Northeast Regional trains, a ticket (coach or business class) guarantees you a seat on the train. It does not guarantee you a specific seat (like 15D). Business class on the Northeast Regional is 2 x 2 seating with extra legroom on most trains. The overnight 66/67 train has 2 x 1 seating.

Hi, does the Northeast Regional Business Class car have its own bathroom for that car?

Two, actually. One is handicap accessible.

However, on 65/66/67, the Vermonter, and Empire Service trains with BC, the Business Class car section is the rear half of the cafe car, and has only 1 restroom.

I'll be on NER BC to WAS Weds eve, returning Friday eve Acela BC. I haven't seen the refreshed interior on Acela yet, and I rarely use BC on NER, we shall see....The interior refresh really helped the appearance of the AM-1 coaches.

Thank you OBS and bratkinson. I am going to NYC from DC the week before Christmas and since we are entering a new decade, I feel like splurging a bit on my travels around this time. I'm a germophobe so I'm picky when it comes to bathrooms and foods. I think the bathroom will be cleaner on the business class. I think I'm going to upgrade my roundtrip ticket to business class. I plan to bring a big thermos of tea with me and chug it on the way up there so a clean bathroom will come in handy so that my bladder doesn't burst!

Back