NOR station construction update

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pere Flyer

Lead Service Attendant
NOR closed the former baggage room several months ago for a much needed restoration, and it looks almost finished. (Restored wing is in foreground)

ImageUploadedByAmtrak Forum1496540495.454128.jpg

ImageUploadedByAmtrak Forum1496540554.920148.jpg

ImageUploadedByAmtrak Forum1496540626.966756.jpg

The waiting room is open only for arrivals and departures. The building is primarily used as an event space, and the restoration project seems to be for that function. It's a beautiful example of the old Santa Fe stations!

EDIT: December 2016 article from the local paper: "The Depot's Historic Restoration On Track" http://www.normantranscript.com/news/entertainment/the-depot-s-historic-restoration-on-track/article_fc16aa65-18ee-54af-a963-1b12d05894b8.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for this nice bit of good news, with good pictures.

I'm glad they can use (and thereby protect) the space with special events. Those visitors will add life to the old building, more than it can get from one daily round trip of the Heartland Flyer.

Thanks for this nice bit of good news, with good pictures.

I'm glad they can use (and thereby protect) the space with special events. Those visitors will add life to the old building, more than it can get from one daily round trip of the Heartland Flyer.
Yes, it is apt for the "City of Festivals," though I'd imagine Normanites and OU students alike would fight tooth and nail were the train service compromised. ATSF and passenger rail are central to Norman's history. Hopefully an extension to Newton/Wichita or Tulsa/KCY is in the Flyer's future.

Back