Non potable water?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bjartmarr

Service Attendant
Here I am at 1am in Spokane on the EB. I got off the train to get some air, and I saw a guy plugging green hoses from a spigot labeled "non potable" into doors on the cars labeled "potable water fill". What gives? Do I need to quit drinking out of the onboard water dispenser?

Which car? 0731 on 7(18) has no toilets and will be getting fixed at Seattle according to the SCA, but I'm not sure why they would use non potable water for anything on the train.

Update, 1:51 am. Never mind. The non potable water issue is now of much less interest to me, now that a stark naked man just walked past me and down the stairs. I admit, it's hot in here, but that solution seems a bit extreme.

Which car? 0731 on 7(18) has no toilets and will be getting fixed at Seattle according to the SCA, but I'm not sure why they would use non potable water for anything on the train.
Er, I didn't notice which car. I'm on 0711 and it's the car directly behind mine, but all the sleeping cars in front of this one were also being filled out of similar green hoses. Why do they have non potable water spigots on the platform at SPK anyways? Are there separate tanks for drinking water and flushing water? In any case, non potable water shouldn't be going into a door labeled "clean water fill".

You raise a good question...why are those hoses being used? I suspect they are good, but perhaps mislabeled for some reason...

There is only one fresh water tank on the Superliner's. There are fill ports on both sides of the car for it.

Any regulations that require a spigot to be labeled "non potable" are for the purpose of preventing a tank (or spigot, or hose) previously used for something toxic to contaminate drinking water, either by toxic residue left behind or by leaching chemicals in the tank (or hose etc) material itself. I personally will NEVER knowingly drink water that's come via any delivery device labeled "non potable." This is a serious potential health hazard. Don't drink the water, OP.

I know when servicing one train I worked I. GRO we had potable water brought to us from a truck not labeled for it. But no one really was drinking it. Just using it to wash hands.

I know when servicing one train I worked I. GRO we had potable water brought to us from a truck not labeled for it. But no one really was drinking it. Just using it to wash hands.
That doesn't matter though... If it's non-potable, it must be labeled as such.

Now that they're rationing bottled water many of us (myself included) find ourselves drinking the tap water more and more. I find this disturbing.

Interesting point. Why does Amtrak go thru the expense of distributing bottled water, if the water from the sink is intended to be drinkable?
That can be asked of any fast food or sit down restaurant in America. Disney World sells bottled water for $3, any counter service spot will give you a cup of ice water free anywhere in the parks.

Back to Amtrak, cups are made available next to water spigots on most Amtrak trains. It is extremely important, legally, that all hoses and water sources are labeled for potable water.

Last edited by a moderator:
When the Amtrak crew fills the water, they drag the end of the hose through everything that might be on the platform. There is no care taken to insure that the water put into the tanks is not contaminated. I drink only bottled water on Amtrak and also on planes. In fact I always carry a couple extra bottles with me just in case, though on my last four overnight trips, a case of bottle water was always available in the center of the sleeping car.

When the Amtrak crew fills the water, they drag the end of the hose through everything that might be on the platform.
Is there somebody there to insure the crew drags the hose through absolutely everything that's on the platform? Good heavens, what if they miss dragging the hose through that plop of pigeon poop way down at the other end of the platform?

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO!

Potable water is potable water, and intended for human consumption, including cooking. The FDA strictly defines it. It goes in the holding tanks of Amtrak passenger cars.

Nonpotable water is not handled as carefully, and may not be guaranteed safe for human consumption. It is generally used in locomotive radiators, etc. Putting it in the potable water tanks is strictly forbidden.

If you EVER see nonpotable water being put into the potable water holding tanks of any Amtrak passenger car, report it immediately to the Conductor. Actually, it should be reported to the FDA as a Public Health violation. I suggest you report it, but don't have the appropriate contact number at hand. Maybe somebody else can provide it.

Employees who have not been trained in the proper handling of this equipment are strictly forbidden from using it. The training includes proper handling of the spigot and nozzle, clearing old water from the pipes/hose, sanitizing the nozzle and the receptacle, and proper return and securing of the hose. All OBS employees on my train received this training because refilling at Florence, SC was often necessary. At other locations, this function may be performed by employees at that location, and maybe by Conductors or AC's.

I HOPE THIS REPRESENTS A MISUNDERSTANDING. I hope the OP misidentified the potable water hose as a nonpotable hose. If the OP is correct, there is no excuse and this should be reported! It's not funny. It's not to be taken lightly.

By the way, generalized unsubstaniated rants about dragging hoses through the dirt, pigeon poop, etc., are not productive.

Tom

P.S. Can you give a better description of the person who did this? "Some guy" isn't enough of a description.

P.P.S. Edited for terminology & clarification 7/21.

Last edited by a moderator:
As mentioned in that link that BCL posted....the hose nozzles have a metal cover over their ends, when not being used. In addition, there is a disc around the nozzle, that prevents the nozzle end from touching the ground, even if the nozzle is is on or dragged on the ground.

Now that they're rationing bottled water many of us (myself included) find ourselves drinking the tap water more and more. I find this disturbing.
Another good reason to bring your own water and other non-alcoholic drinks (and even some light snacks, if you find it necessary) when riding the train (alcohol OK if you have a sleeper), preferrably with a cooler.

The other day my OBS crew was using the portable water hoses to cool down the AC coils in a attempt to get the sleeper cars cool. The OBS was trying hard not to touch the white insert part, the conductor not so much. The conductor was grabbing the end and squeeze it to get some pressure to flush the coils. They were able to get all sleepers cool only after Savannah when a mechanical guy work on a control box. The Viewliners have two AC units one on each side of the car. Some of the Amtrak employees had gloves on, most did not. Some were extra careful with the tips, some did not care, dragging it across the track with the tip dragging on the ground.

YMMV

When we were in Spokane in June, I also observed the cars being watered. At first glance, I thought they were using non-potable water as that seemed to be the label nearest where the hose was connected to the source. After looking at the stand that contained the hose and water source, I realized that the non-potable label applied to a different part of the stand and the water being pumped into the cars did come from a source labeled potable.

Update: I spoke with someone at Amtrak public health. The "non potable" label refers only to one of the two spigots on that fixture, which was not the one being used to fill the tank. The label will be changed to be more clear.

Still unclear: was the naked man in fact a man, or a Terminator recently emerged from the time warp?

Update: I spoke with someone at Amtrak public health. The "non potable" label refers only to one of the two spigots on that fixture, which was not the one being used to fill the tank. The label will be changed to be more clear.
Thanks for the update.

Still unclear: was the naked man in fact a man, or a Terminator recently emerged from the time warp?
Good one. If you get an update, please post it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back