NOL - Magnolia Room

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeBas

Conductor
Leaving next Monday on the Crescent, anyone know if the Magnolia Room refurb is finished yet?

Leaving next Monday on the Crescent, anyone know if the Magnolia Room refurb is finished yet?
I sure hope so, at least I hope it's available when we go Aug. 2. I do know it was open in 2010, as I saw a photo of the outside of the lounge. Looks like it has plenty of room. Another post I read described it as being rather small.

Do you know what remodeling work needed to be done on it?

When I asked during my trip last month, they got a bit... shirty.

Figured I'd ask here & if its done then so be it.

I was there a year or so back and it looked closed to me. I was running a little late so didn't try to go in but it seemed shut. At that time there was major remodeling going on-I recall that the restrooms were just portable potties in trailers that were set up outside the waiting room.

Well, you would think they'd make an effort to have it finished before National Train Day. Wasn't there some sort of ceremony in NOL then? Hopefully JoeBas will post when he returnes from his trip. While we're only a two-hour drive from NOL, I'm not making a special trip just to check out the status of the Magnolia Lounge! It will have to wait until we go Aug 2.

Last edited by a moderator:
I came through NOL this past Wednesday (5/30) and the Magnolia Room was open for the departure of the Sunset Limited...and quite crowded. I had to check in with the ticket agent; he gave me the code for the door. There was a TV, chairs and tables. The room was pretty well packed; I took one of the last chairs at a table shared with a couple of other passengers. There was fresh coffee, cold drinking water, and tea bags. (Hot water for tea and cocoa was available from the bottled drinking water dispenser.) There is no secure storage for luggage or personal items associated with the Magnolia Room, but I didn't ask to see if the baggagemen would accept luggage for temporary storage; at some stations they will. Upon boarding the conductor came to the Magnolia Room first and had us line up, single file, at the gate; coach passengers were directed to form a separate line. We were admitted to the platform first and directed to the sleepers at the front of the train.

I came through NOL this past Wednesday (5/30) and the Magnolia Room was open for the departure of the Sunset Limited...and quite crowded. I had to check in with the ticket agent; he gave me the code for the door. There was a TV, chairs and tables. The room was pretty well packed; I took one of the last chairs at a table shared with a couple of other passengers. There was fresh coffee, cold drinking water, and tea bags. (Hot water for tea and cocoa was available from the bottled drinking water dispenser.) There is no secure storage for luggage or personal items associated with the Magnolia Room, but I didn't ask to see if the baggagemen would accept luggage for temporary storage; at some stations they will. Upon boarding the conductor came to the Magnolia Room first and had us line up, single file, at the gate; coach passengers were directed to form a separate line. We were admitted to the platform first and directed to the sleepers at the front of the train.
sounds just like the old magnolia room. the ice cold drinking water is the big draw for me the couple times i have been there.

Great news, EHBowen, thanks!

Yarrow, for me it's just the relief of not having to endure the circa 1972 molded plastic seats in the general waiting area. Yeesh.

We used the magnolia Room on June 4th. We got there early - hubby dropped us off and then went to return the rental car. So we waltzed right in thinking how nice it was to have the place to ourselves. Very quickly it filled up - and got pretty loud. There isn't a lot of seating - but what they do have is comfortable. There was coffee and cold water and some nice (not really) plastic poinsettias! LOL - you'd think they would put in Magnolias instead! But we were glad to have a small area to wake up and wait for the train.

We were there June 12, has a TV, newspaper and such. Not a lot of seating, but comfortable. We were able to board before coach as they came and got us to board. I felt kinda bad as we're able to go ahead of people who had already formed a line.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back