No checked bags?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am departing from Cary NC, which apparently does not allow for checked bags.

Does this mean that I will only be allowed to bring just carry on luggage?

Or is it possible to check bags through the conductor?

You will have to carry on everything you are taking. The conductor won't check it for you.

You will have to carry on everything you are taking. The conductor won't check it for you.
Grumble.

I guess I will call Amtrak to see if I can board in Raleigh instead.

Thanks.

Grumble.

Thanks.
Keep in mind that Amtrak's definition of "carry-on baggage" is alot closer in definition to what Airlines insist be checked. Either carry-ons or checked baggage can weigh up to 50 lbs. Carry-on dimensions are technically 28" x 22" x 14". However, onboard they don't generally enforce any of that if you can handle your luggage and store it successfully yourself.

Checked baggage can be up to 3 feet cubed. You can check three pieces per party member for free, and three additional for a very nominal charge. Above that, you have to ship it via Amtrak Express which is a tad more expensive and has the risk that if there isn't space, it won't ride with you on the same train and may be delayed getting there- but its rare. I know families of 4 who move themselves and their entire life possessions on Amtrak. Keep in mind, you have an allotment of 300 pounds per person, 450 if you take the extra baggage allowance. 450 x 4 = 1800 lbs, and an aggregate of just over 707 cubic feet. 176 cubic feet per person. The average car trunk has about 20 cubic feet, so almost 9 car trunks worth of stuff per person, 35 trunks in total.

And keep in mind the standard carryon items- briefcases and pocketbooks and the like are not considered anything at all.

Grumble.

Thanks.
Raleigh is literally only a couple of miles down the road from Cary. No need to grumble.

If you are going first class, say on the Silver, then Raleigh would be a better station. It has the checked baggage and special waiting lounge for sleepers.

Cary is an unstaffed station. If you are stuck there and need to go to Raleigh, here are some options:

Transit Connections: C-tran, 919-481-2020, Triangle Transit Authority, 919-549-9999

Taxis: NC Taxi Limo & Shuttle Service-481-2888 or toll free 877-462-8294.

Union Cab Company-919-481-9646.

Triangle Yellow Cab (call one hour ahead) 919-832-5811

Carry-on Baggage Guidelines:

Passengers may carry only two (2) pieces of baggage on board trains, not including purses, laptops, strollers, etc. Bags may not weigh more than 50 lbs. each and may not exceed a size of 28 x 22 x 14 inches. Passengers must be able to safely carry their own baggage. NOTE: All carry-on bags must have tags with the passenger's name, address and phone number.

Good luck on your trip.

Grumble.

Thanks.
Raleigh is literally only a couple of miles down the road from Cary. No need to grumble.
The drive to Cary from where I am is a lot more convenient than to the Raleigh station.

But it worked out fine, the suitcase I was planning on checking in fit just fine on the overhead compartment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back