NJ Transit to restore Atlantic City Line & Dinky 5/12/19.

Discussion in 'Commuter Rail and Rail Transit Discussion' started by Thirdrail7, Aug 5, 2018.

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

1. Mar 18, 2019 #76

Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Conductor

I believe that WMATA in our Nations Capitol can give NJTa run for their ( Wasted) Money when it comes to Cluster Flub Agencies.

daybeers likes this.
  2. Mar 20, 2019 #77

neroden

n

neroden

Conductor

One common element between NJT, Amtrak, and WMATA during periods of high incompetence was Thomas Downs. Somehow he keeps failing upwards and has now been hired by the international consulting branch of Network Rail in England to help give terrible advice to Americans and other foreigners.

Bob Dylan likes this.
  3. Mar 24, 2019 #78

Anderson

A

Anderson

Conductor

First of all, thank you for the explanation.

Second, I have to wonder if this isn't an unintentional result of better pay. If their pay is high enough, if someone can't make it in because of the weather, it becomes a loss they can weather (no pun intended) whereas in a previous time that would have been harder to absorb (to say nothing of the benefits of union protections...I rather suspect that if someone is otherwise not prone to absenteeism, sacking them for no-showing for a few days during a blizzard is harder to justify), particularly if that is compounded by losing another $100-150 on a hotel room net of their shift pay.

Of course, as jis noted, thinning out the staff rosters (and by connection the extra boards) can't help a bad situation.

4. Mar 25, 2019 #79

Mystic River Dragon

M

Mystic River Dragon

Conductor

Today's Trenton Times had an article rating Kevin Corbett in his first year as head of NJT. They asked two commuter rail experts, commuters, and Kevin himself.

The two experts: C- and D (and both said it would have been worse except that NJT met the first PTC deadline). (The first is the chairman of the Lackawanna Commuter Coalition, the second is the president of NJARP.)

The commuters (both train and bus): a B-, C, and D+, two Ds, and two Fs. (And the B- commutes on the NEC between Metropark and Newark, so a lot shorter distance than some of the others.)

Kevin's grade for himself: between a B and a C, but leaning toward a C because he is a hard grader and considers this his midterm grade as he works on his final grade. Judging from the photo of him in the article, he said this with a straight face.

daybeers and Bob Dylan like this.
  5. Mar 25, 2019 #80

Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Conductor

Reminds me of a certain Politician who currently resides ( Temporarily) in a Big White Mansion/Museum on Pennsylvania Avenue!

Maybe they're Grading on the Curve?:rolleyes:

6. Mar 27, 2019 #81

Thirdrail7

T

Thirdrail7

Conductor

In a great deal of cases, it is the opposite. Since a lot of the employees aren't making a lot of money, they aren't counting on it. They often don't live near their means, let alone exceed them.

Therefore, they don't "have" to make sacrifices for the money. They don't NEED the extra whereas years ago, it was money grab...simply because it was available...and that was the key mistakes a lot of railroad made.

They assumed as they cut, employees would remain hungry and chase the work. They failed to consider that many people would adapt and the younger force wouldn't miss something they weren't accustomed to getting.

That is also why you have manpower shortage. Not only will people not come out for overtime, they also may not show up for their schedules.

7. Apr 18, 2019 #82

Acela150

Acela150

Acela150

Conductor

8. Apr 18, 2019 #83

Mystic River Dragon

M

Mystic River Dragon

Conductor

And I love the way they are patting themselves on the back for restoring the service two weeks before their target date:rolleyes:. (After how many months? At least four? of delays from their initial target date:rolleyes:.)

daybeers likes this.
  9. Apr 23, 2019 #84

lonewolfette9847

lonewolfette9847

lonewolfette9847

AU Supporter

I’m glad for the 2 weeks sooner. I need it going from & to Philly during that time!

10. May 1, 2019 #85

Acela150

Acela150

Acela150

Conductor

Transit ran a few rust breaker trains on the ACL today.

11. May 12, 2019 #86

Mystic River Dragon

M

Mystic River Dragon

Conductor

I came into the office today, and on my walk from PJC to my office building, I heard a lovely "chug, chug, chug" and "honk, honk, honk"--the Dinky back again!:):):):) The Dinky tracks run along the end of our office parking lot, and I hadn't realized how much I missed hearing it when I am outside here.

They are having a party for it (I think Tuesday evening) at the Dinky station in Princeton itself, with WAWA giving out free coffee and pretzels.

Misty. and Bob Dylan like this.
  12. May 13, 2019 #87

neroden

n

neroden

Conductor

Yay! Now everyone promote it and ride it extra much ASAP to fight any bogus attempts by NYT to claim low ridership...

13. May 13, 2019 #88

MARC Rider

M

MARC Rider

Conductor

Now there's a joy ride for me. Anything to see in Princeton? Or at least a good place to have lunch within walking distance of the station?s

14. May 13, 2019 #89

jis

jis

jis

Conductor AU Lifetime Supporter Gathering Team Member

The Princeton University campus and downtown Princeton of course. Plenty of nice eateries downtown.

Bob Dylan likes this.