NJ Transit Botches Wrestlemania

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Acela150

Super Buff
Surprise surprise....Transit botches something.

This past Sunday was the annual WWE "Wrestlemania". This year it was held at MetLife Stadium in the meadowlands and had 80,000 plus attendees. For those who are wrestling fans like myself they know that this is the "Super Bowl" of Wrestling. Side note.. I'm glad I watched it on my couch with Pizza and Wings.

The event ended at 1230am. According to an article on NJ.com the writer didn't board a train until 230am. Link to the article included.

https://www.nj.com/sports/2019/04/n...ts-hellish-post-wrestlemania-35-meltdown.html

Personally I think this was due to horrible communication between WWE and NJ Transit on the event ending time and more.

Not so surprising Transit is putting the blame elsewhere on WWE and WWE says "Hey, it ain't on us to run trains".

Weekends/Holidays are always an issue with NJTR. A lot has to do with the available crew. Believe it or not, more crew are needed during the weekends and holidays as more cash tickets have to be cut on a trip than a regular business day "commuter" trip (where most have passes or bought tickets at the station). I'm wondering if they were able to get enough crew for that night....

Just a thought, but for major events like this it might be worth everyone's while to have the event cut a check to NJT, who would then normally staff the trains and accept a lower-than-usual rate of fare payment for an hour or two. Building this into the CODB at the arena there wouldn't be an insane move, y'know...

Of course, if the parking was at Secaucus Junction run by NJT, I'd be tempted to hit them with a chargeback on the parking for the $12: When the transit agency says "trains every ten minutes" and only runs them every thirty without a force majure sort of situation (thus inducing a loss of the advertised rate), I think more than a few CCs might let a complaint of "bait and switch" stand.

Edit: And of course, if NJT can't get the staffing for the trains, they might want to consider saying "Oops, we're screwed" when the shifts don't get filled out, not after-the-fact.

Back