NJ Help (RVR to West Long Branch)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Iron

Conductor
My niece wants to visit her college room mate who lives in West Long Branch. I'm talking her into taking Amtrak but need some help with NJ Transit options. Her travel dates are flexible, early August timeframe. Thanks in advance for the help/advise.

My niece wants to visit her college room mate who lives in West Long Branch. I'm talking her into taking Amtrak but need some help with NJ Transit options. Her travel dates are flexible, early August timeframe. Thanks in advance for the help/advise.
Take Amtrak from Richmond to Newark, NJ (NWK). At NWK, change to an NJ Transit North Jersey Coast Line train to Long Branch. Tickets for NJ Transit can be purchased at NWK from either vending machines or from agents. A one way ticket from NWK to Long Branch is $11.

The NJ Transit North Jersey Coast Line schedule is HERE.

Last edited by a moderator:
Take Amtrak from Richmond to Newark, NJ (NWK). At NWK, change to an NJ Transit North Jersey Coast Line train to Long Branch. Tickets for NJ Transit can be purchased at NWK from either vending machines or from agents. A one way ticket from NWK to Long Branch is $11.

The NJ Transit North Jersey Coast Line schedule is HERE.
Great info, thanks!!!! She is 19, travelling alone and not well versed in rail travel. Is navigating the NWK transit center fairly obvious or is there any "local knowledge" that could assist her.

Newark is fairly straightforward. The tracks are elevated and the station proper, ticket machines/agents and waiting room are downstairs. Arrive on Amtrak go downstairs and buy a ticket (also available online) for NJT to either Long Branch or Elberon, then watch the video monitors for the track assignment and go back upstairs to the proper platform. Though Newark is still not a garden spot, there is a very heavy police presence in the station and it us safe. It's a short drive to WLB from the LB station, which is heavily used (southernmost North Jersey Coast Line stop on the electrified portion of the line) and reasonably safe though being met at the station would be wise after dark.

Newark is a pretty simple station to navigate, and despite the reputation of the city of Newark, it is safe. The station is original PRR, and has been nicely restored.

The trains - Amtrak and NJ Transit - arrive and depart on the upper level. Stairs and escalators lead to a connecting concourse below. The west end of the concourse is the main waiting room with ticket windows and vending machines for Amtrak and NJ Transit. There is a Solari board and numerous video boards that show all departures. There are lots of NJ Transit people at Newark who can help if she has any questions.

Newark is fairly straightforward. The tracks are elevated and the station proper, ticket machines/agents and waiting room are downstairs. Arrive on Amtrak go downstairs and buy a ticket (also available online) for NJT to either Long Branch or Elberon, then watch the video monitors for the track assignment and go back upstairs to the proper platform. Though Newark is still not a garden spot, there is a very heavy police presence in the station and it us safe. It's a short drive to WLB from the LB station, which is heavily used (southernmost North Jersey Coast Line stop on the electrified portion of the line) and reasonably safe though being met at the station would be wise after dark.
Thanks, her friend will be meeting her. We were trying to avoid having her meet my niece on the NEC somewhere and get her closer to WLB which this does nicely.

God no. Stay out of New Jersey. It is the devils workshop presided over by the Devil himself, Chris Christie.

I learned it, I learned it. Unfortunately, while I tried to escape to PA, I still live here. ;_;

Newark is a pretty simple station to navigate, and despite the reputation of the city of Newark, it is safe. The station is original PRR, and has been nicely restored.

The trains - Amtrak and NJ Transit - arrive and depart on the upper level. Stairs and escalators lead to a connecting concourse below. The west end of the concourse is the main waiting room with ticket windows and vending machines for Amtrak and NJ Transit. There is a Solari board and numerous video boards that show all departures. There are lots of NJ Transit people at Newark who can help if she has any questions.
Normally Amtrak from the south will arrive on track 1 or 2. NJCL trains to Long Branch depart from track 3 or 4 (usually 4). Listen to announcements and verify track numbers from numerous displays that display the information. NJCL trains will appear in blue bands on the displays since that is the route color for that line.

If you have a Smartphone you can go to the NJTransit web page using your browser (http://www.njtransit.com) and look for a line that says "Departure Vision". In that line enter/select from drop down list "Newark Penn Station" and hit "Go" and you will get an exact copy of the Newark Penn Station Departure Board displayed on your Smartphone. Very useful to know if trains are running on time and what tracks they will be found at. This is an example of what it will look like:

NewarkDepartureVision.PNG

You will need to go down the stairs to the main concourse after you arrive, and then go up stairs or escalator to the platform for tracks 3 and 4. There are elevators available too, recommended if you have significant luggage.

Last edited by a moderator:

Normally Amtrak from the south will arrive on track 1 or 2. NJCL trains to Long Branch depart from track 3 or 4 (usually 4). Listen to announcements and verify track numbers from numerous displays that display the information. NJCL trains will appear in blue bands on the displays since that is the route color for that line.

If you have a Smartphone you can go to the NJTransit web page using your browser (http://www.njtransit.com) and look for a line that says "Departure Vision". In that line enter/select from drop down list "Newark Penn Station" and hit "Go" and you will get an exact copy of the Newark Penn Station Departure Board displayed on your Smartphone. Very useful to know if trains are running on time and what tracks they will be found at. This is an example of what it will look like:

NewarkDepartureVision.PNG

You will need to go down the stairs to the main concourse after you arrive, and then go up stairs or escalator to the platform for tracks 3 and 4. There are elevators available too, recommended if you have significant luggage.
Thanks for the smart phone info, other info as well. I may have to give it a test run before she goes :)

You can also download the NJT MyTix Smart Phone app and buy eTickets, that you activate through the app shortly before travel (it brings up a barcode that's valid for two to three hours).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back