Nice trip on Sunset and Crescent

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ainamkartma

Service Attendant
Hi all,

A couple of weeks ago I made a nice trip from El Paso to New York on the Sunset Limited and Crescent, stopping for two nights in New Orleans. I had a roomette for both legs, upstairs on the Superliner. It was my first opportunity to ride both sections, so i was very pleased by the beautiful scenery in Texas and the southeast. Both trains arrived "Amtrak-on-time", so that was nice. As always on trains where it is available, the dining car experience was a highlight of the trip: I met an archeologist employed by Monticello, a fellow who spends his retirement delivering motor homes and taking the train back to home base, and some retired schoolteachers touring the country. The food was fine, but, as noted on other recent threads, many listed menu items were not available (even on the Crescent), having not been stocked in the first place according to the server. My choice was available for every meal, though, so the understocking did not cause a particular problem for me.

The VL dining car on the Crescent was number 68008, Columbus, and was pleasingly shiny and new. This was my first experience in one of the VL diners. The extra height of a Viewliner is quite obviously wasted on a diner, of course. Interestingly, the dining car attendant told my dining table seat mates (before I arrived at the table) that it was an old car recently refurbished. "Amtrak hasn't bought any new equipment in many years." Also, one of the tables and its associated seats was missing entirely. A passenger fell into the resulting substantial gap when the train hit a bump as he was passing by. Luckily, he was unhurt, as he took quite a purler.

After the trip, I received an survey from Amtrak to fill out for the El Paso to New Orleans segment. I stressed strongly the value of the dining car as part of the total trip package. There is no scenario where I would have made this trip if "contemporary dining" had replaced the traditional dining car on either leg.

All in all, an example of Amtrak doing what it does and doing it well. I will be happy if they can just maintain this level of service going forward, but it sure looks like management wants to make that a challenge.

Happy trails,

Ainamkartma

Great report! Thanks for posting!

Interestingly, the dining car attendant told my dining table seat mates (before I arrived at the table) that it was an old car recently refurbished. "Amtrak hasn't bought any new equipment in many years."
The attendant must have been confusing it with the sole Viewliner I dining car, car 8400 'Indianapolis'. It's a prototype sleeper which was rebuilt as a diner in 2011 when Amtrak got some stimulus funds from the government to improve equipment. However I don't know where they got the "Amtrak hasn't bought any new equipment in many years" from, since they're currently receiving Siemens Chargers and of course the V-IIs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Great report! Thanks for posting!

Interestingly, the dining car attendant told my dining table seat mates (before I arrived at the table) that it was an old car recently refurbished. "Amtrak hasn't bought any new equipment in many years."
The attendant must have been confusing it with the sole Viewliner I dining car, car 8400 'Indianapolis'. It's a prototype sleeper which was rebuilt as a diner in 2011 when Amtrak got some stimulus funds from the government to improve equipment. However I don't know where they got the "Amtrak hasn't bought any new equipment in many years" from, since they're currently receiving charges and of course the V-IIs.
Just goes to show you that Amtrak employees shouldn't be considered prime source of exact information.

I just got one for our trip on the Meteor. Just 5 questions, hardly enough to give a real evaluation.

I just got one for the short hop from PHL to BAL--also just 5 questions. I have only received a few surveys through the years from Amtrak, and they have always been for a trip that went perfectly. I have often wondered about that, and why I never get a survey for a trip with problems....
default_unsure.png

I just got one for the short hop from PHL to BAL--also just 5 questions. I have only received a few surveys through the years from Amtrak, and they have always been for a trip that went perfectly. I have often wondered about that, and why I never get a survey for a trip with problems....
default_unsure.png
The question is...just what do they do with the survey's returned?

I wonder if they even read them. I got plenty of them at the end of a cruise. I never heard a response back, even when I identified myself. Just to prove my point, I once gave a thorough, and IMHO objective critique. At the end, I told them I would donate Fifty dollars to the charity of their choice, if they would respond to it. I'm still waiting....
default_rolleyes.gif

Back