Newark EWR station

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
  1. What is the station like? Any Wifi - free or charge?
  2. Do I have to go through airport type security to get on the train?
  3. If I have a car service do I still have to go to a main terminal to be picked up?
  4. Can you get directly to the train terminal without going through an "airport terminal"?

2. Do I have to go through airport type security to get on the train?
  3. If I have a car service do I still have to go to a main terminal to be picked up?
  4. Can you get directly to the train terminal without going through an "airport terminal"?
1. It's essentially a walkway over the tracks with escalators and stairs coming down between the tracks to the platforms. All of that is enclosed from the weather, except the part of the platforms where you board the trains. I don't know if there's Wifi, but if there is, there's not much else. No shops, etc...

2. No.

3. No. But if you're coming in by train, and someone is coming to pick you up, I would do it at Newark (NWK). If they're delayed, you can stay in the waiting room, visit the shops, walk through the Gateway Hotel area, etc...

4. Well, you have to park your car somewhere. You get to the railway station via a monorail. The monorail visits the three main terminals as well as the rental car area, the long term parking and a parking deck. You could park in long term parking or at the deck and then take the monorail over to the station.

Thanks,

John Bobinyec

The station is rather spartan. There are a fair number of police Port Authority customer service reps present to help you with any questions, an Amtrak ticket desk that is staffed infrequently and some automated NJ Transit and QuickTrak ticket machines, as well as an automated check-in kiosk for Continental Airlines.

As for WiFi, I have no idea if the rail station is a hotspot. The PANYNJ web site states this.

Do I have to go through airport type security to get on the train?

If you are coming from the airport, you can just walk to the Air Train station at Terminals A,B, or C (as well as the long-term parking lots and garage) and ride the monorail to the EWR station. Now if you are going from the train to the plane, then you have to pass through the TSA checkpoint like other fliers.

If I have a car service do I still have to go to a main terminal to be picked up?

I don't believe that the EWR station can be used by private vehicles...only buses.

Can you get directly to the train terminal without going through an "airport terminal"?
See my statement above.

OK great. I was afraid I would have to go through some type of security that I couldn't take liquids with me.

I am going to be using EWR because the customer wants to consolidate ground transportation as much as possible. So if I go into EWR I can use their car service with a coworker.

OK great. I was afraid I would have to go through some type of security that I couldn't take liquids with me.
I am going to be using EWR because the customer wants to consolidate ground transportation as much as possible. So if I go into EWR I can use their car service with a coworker.
Just so that you know, it will cost you $5.50 to get from the Airtrain to the Amtrak/NJT station. Normally this would be included in the rail ticket originating/terminating at EWR. But if you do not have such a ticket, then you will need to buy the $5.50 ticket to get past the barrier to get to the train station from the airport. Actually the additional amount included in the train ticket is this amount or a somewhat larger amount, specially for tickets to NYP (New York Penn Station), so it is cheaper to buy the $5.50 ticket and a ticket from North Elizabeth to NYP, than to buy a ticket from EWR to NYP

Also, the parking lots that are accessible directly from the Airtrain are technically the Daily lots (some $24 or thereabouts per day). The Long Term lots (Some $12 per day or thereabouts) are only accessible by shuttle buses from the airport terminals.

Actually it will be included because my trip will be terminating and originating at/from EWR. Thanks for the heads-up though.

You'll have to show your Amtrak ticket to the person in the booth in the center of the turnstyles to get through. Tickets brought from New Jersey Transit have a special magnetic stripe that can activate the turnstyles on their own, but Amtrak tickets don't have this. So you need the employee to let you through the gates to reach the Monorail.

As a person who lived in New Jersey for over 40 years before moving to Florida and who used/uses EWR I can tell you that there is Wi-Fi available in all of the terminals but by no means is it free as far as the public areas are concerned. The current incarnation of the service is operated by AT&T (Formerly Wayport) and as I recall the fee is $4.95 for 24 hours for connection to a single location, in other words that 24 hours only applies to the AT&T Wi-Fi service at Newark Liberty International Airport and not anywhere else, so if you wanted to connect to an AT&T Wi-Fi hotspot at your arriving airport or at a Starbucks for example you'd have to pay another $4.95 for that location. There is an upside though, if you are an AT&T Broadband customer the Wi-Fi access is included as your part of your broadband package and you will be able to connect to multiple locations at no charge and I believe this is the case also with qualifing Verizon FiOS Internet customers who have the Wi-Fi connect software installed on their laptop.

Another option if you are on a First Class flight or are a paying member or guest of one of the airlines private clubs you will have free internet access inside of the club but as a caveat it has been my recent experience that airlines lke American, Delta, Continental and United have started instituting the use of a password system on their wi-fi connection welcome page to prevent leeching from outside of the clubs doors by common folk such as myself who can't afford a membership or flying first class.

Unfortunately though, AT&T won't let you tether the Iphone to your laptop. :(
But unbeknownst to AT&T that is easy to do. Fortunately for AT&T I suppose, not too many people know how.
Unless there is another newer AP than the one that I saw a few months ago, AT&T has blocked that AP from working on the newer Iphones. It only works on the older phones.

Nope, it works on my 3GS - once you've got it jailbroken you can load a custom carrier profile and you're off to the races.

If Verizon offers an iPhone and tethering, I'll be dropping AT&T as quickly as possible.

Nope, it works on my 3GS - once you've got it jailbroken you can load a custom carrier profile and you're off to the races.
If Verizon offers an iPhone and tethering, I'll be dropping AT&T as quickly as possible.
Given that Verizon pretty much destroys any Bluetooth functionality on any mobile phone that it supports (which fortunately AT&T doesn't), I would be very surprised to see them supporting tethering on a flat fee unlimited data service either. Actually because of the violence that Verizon does to Bluetooth I am unable to use their services, since I critically depend on full functionality Bluetooth on my phone for various reasons.

Yeah, it's going to be pretty interesting since Apple likes to maintain just as much control over the user experience. I wonder if Verizon would be willing to cede that control to get the iPhone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back