Newark Airport Station

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

William W.

Lead Service Attendant
Hello everyone,

Does anyone know if the Newark Airport Station is going to reopen on schedule (July 15th)?

Will the Air Train also reopen when it is supposed to?

Thanks.

I haven't heard any updates. This topic has been somewhat quiet. The Air Train is actually the reason the station is closed right now. I believe their making upgrades and making repairs to the system.

I think it's best to say that when your ticket is scanned the conductor will tell you to get off at either NWK or if EWR is in fact reopened. But I can also suggest calling Amtrak directly they usually have the current status of things.

The reason I wanted to know is because I've been looking at hotels in and around Newark, and the ones around the airport seem to have pretty good rates. I wouldn't want to stay at one though if I had to take an unreliable shuttle bus to Newark Penn Station.

I have often flown from the UK to Newark, and stay at the HOJO or another cheap hotel. The thing that tends to upset the cheap rate is the cost of the rail fare to visit downtown NY. There IS a local bus which connects Newark Airport to Newark Penn, and the fare then into the city is a fraction of the cost via the airtrain / Newark Airport route.

I tend to be a budget traveler, and so such savings are worthwhile for me... I would rather save cash and put that saving towards an extra nights stay, for example. I must admit that as I get older, the comfort and convenience aspect has started to influence me more... I don't think I will be sleeping wrapped in a sheet on Calcutta railway station again, as I did one time!

Ed :cool:

Two things....

1. There is no upgrade being done to the Airtrain. It is just maintenance and repair of the tracks.

2. The NJT local bus which one can take from EWR to Newark Penn Station is actually quite reliable.

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

I have often flown from the UK to Newark, and stay at the HOJO or another cheap hotel. The thing that tends to upset the cheap rate is the cost of the rail fare to visit downtown NY. There IS a local bus which connects Newark Airport to Newark Penn, and the fare then into the city is a fraction of the cost via the airtrain / Newark Airport route.

I tend to be a budget traveler, and so such savings are worthwhile for me... I would rather save cash and put that saving towards an extra nights stay, for example. I must admit that as I get older, the comfort and convenience aspect has started to influence me more... I don't think I will be sleeping wrapped in a sheet on Calcutta railway station again, as I did one time!

Ed :cool:
Not sure which train you use into New York from Newark, (NJT?), but the combination of the local NJT route 62 bus from the airport to Newark, and then the PATH train into New York, is the cheapest way to get there. And the local bus doesn't take much longer than the costlier express bus, either...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back