New York Club Acela Closed for Renovations

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AlanB

Engineer
Honored Member
I'm not sure for just how long, but the NYP CA is currently closed for some renovation work. I showed up yesterday to pick up my tickets, doing a free upgrade so I needed an agent, and all the chairs from the CA are piled out in front of what used to be the NJT ticket windows. And yellow safety tape prevents anyone from getting near the door.

So just a warning to anyone planning to use the lounge or need the services of the CA agents, you may or may not find it available for the next few days.

Hopefully they will be able to Expand it while this Rennovation is underway, as we all know this Club, like the one in CHI, is way to small for the Volume of Traffic it handles!

Yeah, since the chairs are in front of the former NJT windows, I assume they are not being used. Any chance the CA can expand to include that area? And speaking of that, does NJT use TVMs exclusively at NYP?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, since the chairs are in front of the former NJT windows, I assume they are not being used. Any chance the CA can expand to include that area?
I'm not sure how easy it would be to convert that area. I'm also not sure that the area is all that big either, so I'm not sure how much room could be gained. It might also require moving the conference room, although that would be well suited to the window area and it would give the CA a bit more room.

And speaking of that, does NJT use TVMs exclusively at NYP?
No, NJT has ticket windows over in it's main waiting area. There are only TVM's in the Amtrak area.

Why not wait for the Moynihan station project to be completed? It seems like duplicate work to me, with a drain on scarce funds.

Why not wait for the Moynihan station project to be completed? It seems like duplicate work to me, with a drain on scarce funds.
Well, we don't really know what's going on in the club. For all I know, they might just be replacing the carpeting. In fact, I rather doubt that the entire lounge is being refurbished.

However, with regard to Moynihan, Amtrak is years away from moving into there if indeed the project ever comes to fruition. But right now, they're not even working on the post office side of things. The only work being done right now is on the 8th Avenue underground section. This is something that will be useful and needed without regard to whether the rest of Moynihan is ever completed.

However, with regard to Moynihan, Amtrak is years away from moving into there if indeed the project ever comes to fruition. But right now, they're not even working on the post office side of things. The only work being done right now is on the 8th Avenue underground section. This is something that will be useful and needed without regard to whether the rest of Moynihan is ever completed.
Well, they are not working on the Post Office Building itself because as of today, Phase II which is when the Post Office Building will be worked on, has no funding. Only Phase I is funded and that is all underground, except for two additional access points adjacent to the PO building on its sides leading down to the the West End concourse.

Bottom line is that it is foolish to wait for simething that is not even funded to complete. It could take many years o a decade or who knows what?

Last edited by a moderator:
" For all I know, they might just be replacing the carpeting. "

Your statement is incredibly coincidental considering what has been done.

Today, Club Acela was open, looking much the same as always, except for the bright new carpet installed throughout. Still has the fresh carpet smell!

Did they really need to close for that long just to replace carpet?

Did they really need to close for that long just to replace carpet?
We don't know how long it as closed. I only noticed it on Saturday and it apparently reopened today. My guess is that the closed it early on Friday night, probably around 8 or so. Took out the chairs. Then spent Sat & Sun ripping out the old carpet and laying the new carpet.

I'm not sure how long it was closed, but the first post was Sunday morning at 10:53 am ad the post that said its open was Monday morning at 8:12 am. That is a "long time"? (Less than 24 hours?) and it was on a weekend and Monday is a holiday for some!

I'm not sure how long it was closed, but the first post was Sunday morning at 10:53 am ad the post that said its open was Monday morning at 8:12 am. That is a "long time"? (Less than 24 hours?) and it was on a weekend and Monday is a holiday for some!
While I made the post on Sunday morning, I did say "yesterday" meaning Saturday when I left New York it was closed. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back