New Orleans station

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

sarah

I am supposed to arrive at the New Orleans station at 730 PM. From what I've heard, I'd be lucky to arrive before midnight. I will be carrying a lot of luggage with me-- probably too much for me to carry on my own.

Are there a lot of taxis at the station in the middle of the night? Does the station provide luggage carts? It says on the website that the station provides baggage assistance during station hours, but the station closes at 10 pm, so I'm not holding out much hope for that.

Thanks in advance for your help. It is my first long distance amtrak trip in a long time, and I am a bit stressed.

I am supposed to arrive at the New Orleans station at 730 PM. From what I've heard, I'd be lucky to arrive before midnight.
Not true. Check the delay history for your train here: http://amtrakdelays.onlineschedulingsoftware.com

------------------------------------------------------------

2010-07-29: Scheduled: 7:38 pm Actual: 7:30 pm Delay: -8 minutes

2010-07-28: Scheduled: 7:38 pm Actual: 7:37 pm Delay: -1 minutes

2010-07-27: Scheduled: 7:38 pm Actual: 8:05 pm Delay: 27 minutes

2010-07-26: Scheduled: 7:38 pm Actual: 1:06 am Delay: 328 minutes

2010-07-24: Scheduled: 7:38 pm Actual: 7:13 pm Delay: -25 minutes

2010-07-23: Scheduled: 7:38 pm Actual: 9:00 pm Delay: 82 minutes

2010-07-22: Scheduled: 7:38 pm Actual: 7:50 pm Delay: 12 minutes

2010-07-21: Scheduled: 7:38 pm Actual: 7:44 pm Delay: 6 minutes

2010-07-20: Scheduled: 7:38 pm Actual: 7:43 pm Delay: 5 minutes

2010-07-19: Scheduled: 7:38 pm Actual: 8:08 pm Delay: 30 minutes

2010-07-16: Scheduled: 7:38 pm Actual: 8:40 pm Delay: 62 minutes

2010-07-15: Scheduled: 7:38 pm Actual: 8:03 pm Delay: 25 minutes

2010-07-14: Scheduled: 7:38 pm Actual: 8:54 pm Delay: 76 minutes

2010-07-13: Scheduled: 7:38 pm Actual: 9:00 pm Delay: 82 minutes

2010-07-12: Scheduled: 7:38 pm Actual: 7:27 pm Delay: -11 minutes

Average delay is 46 minutes

-------------------------------------------------

It has only arrived after 9 pm once in the past month, so I don't think a midnight arrival is much of a possibility. As a backup plan, get a couple of numbers for taxis in New Orleans. In the unlikely event your train is running really late, you can call a taxi ahead of time, and ask the driver to come into the station and help you with luggage.

Last edited by a moderator:
Taxi drivers in NOL are decently smart. With the station being very close to downtown, there is usually a flood of taxis rolling up to NOUPT about the time the Crescent backs down. When my girlfriend and I went to NOL last month we walked outside and were in a small line of folks waiting for a cab, and it was more of a wait for the person in front of you to get in their cab then anything else. Just beware there is usually a panhandler who will "help you with your luggage" as if he's a doorman. We both ignored him and handled our own bags.

I am supposed to arrive at the New Orleans station at 730 PM. From what I've heard, I'd be lucky to arrive before midnight. I will be carrying a lot of luggage with me-- probably too much for me to carry on my own.

Are there a lot of taxis at the station in the middle of the night? Does the station provide luggage carts? It says on the website that the station provides baggage assistance during station hours, but the station closes at 10 pm, so I'm not holding out much hope for that.

Thanks in advance for your help. It is my first long distance amtrak trip in a long time, and I am a bit stressed.
In mid-June, the train was about 2 hours late and there was a line of taxis in the driveway in front of the station. Just beware of the panhandlers who offer to help you with your luggage.

yarrow and dad are taking the crescent to nol in mid spetember. our hotel is near the station. looks like you walk from the station to the robt lee circle then a few blocks on st charles into the garden district. we carry scant luggage. never had problems walking from the stations in la, chicago, seattle, portland or sf to nearby lodging day or night. is nol a whole different kettle of fish? thanks

yarrow and dad are taking the crescent to nol in mid spetember. our hotel is near the station. looks like you walk from the station to the robt lee circle then a few blocks on st charles into the garden district. we carry scant luggage. never had problems walking from the stations in la, chicago, seattle, portland or sf to nearby lodging day or night. is nol a whole different kettle of fish? thanks
Lee circle is about 4-5 blocks from the station. I walked it in the daylight and didn't see anything that would have made me nervous after dark. I'm thinking that St.Charles is the same way but I was on the streetcar after Lee Circle.

New Orleans never sleeps. You could arrive at 2am and there would be cabs available. Enjoy the Crescent. Great Trip!

Bill

In mid-June, the train was about 2 hours late and there was a line of taxis in the driveway in front of the station. Just beware of the panhandlers who offer to help you with your luggage.
Yes, the panhandlers are sometimes there - the first time we went, one was working in conjunction with a cabbie and we got ripped. On subsequent trips, though, we haven't noticed them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back