New Haven to New York, late afternoon: MNRR or Amtrak?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pere Flyer

Lead Service Attendant
I’m new to transit in the Northeast, and I’m planning a trip on Feb. 22 from Hartford to New York. I’m considering two itineraries. No. 1 is CTrail 475, 4:29 p.m. HFD – 5:18 p.m. NHV, transferring to MNRR, 5:45 p.m. NHV – 7:45 p.m. GCT.

No. 2 is CTrail 475, 4:29 p.m. HFD – 5:18 p.m. NHV, transferring to Amtrak NER 175, 5:45 p.m. NHV – 7:28 p.m. NYP.

I’m inclined toward Option 1, since it’s cheaper than Option 2 and goes to starry GCT vs. the Penn Basement, but I don’t know how MNRR’s New Haven Line compares with a NER in terms of OTP, comfort, and general reliability.

Metro-North all the way. The seats may not be as comfortable and the trip may seem a little bit longer but the reliability and OTP is there. Metro_north will also prioritize its train over an Amtrak.

Metro-North all the way. The seats may not be as comfortable and the trip may seem a little bit longer but the reliability and OTP is there. Metro_north will also prioritize its train over an Amtrak.
Thanks. That’s helpful information. Is 27 minutes sufficient padding to connect from a CT shuttle to Metro North?

You’re not wrong.
Thanks. That’s helpful information. Is 27 minutes sufficient padding to connect from a CT shuttle to Metro North?
Yes. Also of note 175 is an Amtrak shuttle. Not CTRail. [emoji6]

Actually, I'd take the Vermonter, which is not shown on CTRail schedules.  Amtrak train #55 Lv HFD @3:27PM ar NYP @6:25PM.  No need to change trains and has more comfortable seating.   Metro North trains have more cramped seating with 5 across (3 on one side, 2 on the other, and half face backwards) vs 2-2 on Amtrak and CTRail.   Metro North also takes longer to reach Grand Central Terminal due to making 8-10 intermediate stops vs Amtraks' 2 intermediate stops after New Haven.

Note that the Vermonter originates in northern Vermont and may be late some days.  The latest I've witnessed was about an hour.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for all the responses.

[mention=14106]lordsigma[/mention]: I, too, love racking up AGR points, but I’m very sensitive to cost, which is why I feel an Amtrak shuttle and a Metro North train are the best choices for me. My itinerary as it currently stands yields 16 pts out of the shuttle and over 100 from the return NER on Feb. 24 from NYP to PVD.

[mention=3099]zephyr17[/mention]: My physical ability, comfort level in after-dark transit away from home, and final destination in NYC are such that NYP and GCT are both feasible termini.

[mention=345]bratkinson[/mention]: Thanks for the info about the Vermonter. You’re correct about the seating and schedule. I’m taking Metro North because of its more predictable OTP and it being a new experience for me, in addition to the lower fare and more pleasant terminus. I’ve never taken the Vermonter, but I hope to have a reason to take a train to Vermont at some point so I can experience much of its glory [emoji4]

Thanks for your help. Amtrak shuttle and Metro North it is.
I’m a bit late to the party, but I agree that that’s the right decision. The New Haven Line (almost always) uses Kawasaki M8s, which are pretty comfortable and have a pair of outlets at each seat.

Things to keep in mind are that the seats aren’t quite as comfortable as Amtrak (still not bad, though), and not NEARLY as spacious, but it is still a very nice ride, the trains are very punctual, and GCT really is glorious. Enjoy!

I agree with Amtrak Shuttle & MNRR. Since you're going to be riding #475, which is usually the most crowded train of the day, I would actually buy your ticket from Amtrak's website or app ahead of time, not for pricing, as it's all the same $8 no matter when you buy or travel HFD-NHV, but since CT recently capped the number of Amtrak reservations allowed on 475 to one Amfleet-I car, or 72 seats. This was done as a (not very permanent) solution to the fact that Amtrak crews were leaving ticketed CTrail passengers and students with CT UPasses on the platforms because they weren't allowing standees. See more here.

Only issue with the Vermonter for THIS particular trip is that it tends to be a more expensive option (at least from what I’ve seen from SPG) due to it being the only option for all stations north of SPG. I usually find through regional and shuttle/regional combinations to be more cost effective than Vermonter. (Although I love taking the Vermonter north to Vermont - take it frequently to ESX.)

Pere Flyer said:
Thanks for all the responses.[mention=14106]lordsigma[/mention]: I, too, love racking up AGR points, but I’m very sensitive to cost, which is why I feel an Amtrak shuttle and a Metro North train are the best choices for me. My itinerary as it currently stands yields 16 pts out of the shuttle and over 100 from the return NER on Feb. 24 from NYP to PVD.
Totally understandable - one of these days I am going to do a MNRR trip just to do something different. I am fortunate right now to have minimal expenses and no dependents so enjoying the opportunity to make as many journeys as possible as im sure that will not be the case forever!

Back