New Equipment

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe

Train Attendant
AU Supporting Member
I am aware that the company (Amerirail) that made the Viewliner sleepers is out of business. So no more new Viewliners in the future. If Amtrak were to order more sleepers and coaches, who would make them? Which company will make the new Amtrak cars?

Joe

Most certainly Bombardier. They built the superliner IIs, even though the first generation was built by pullman-standard (I think).

xlr said:
Most certainly Bombardier. They built the superliner IIs, even though the first generation was built by pullman-standard (I think).
Well at least until Amtrak and Bombardier can come to some agreement on whose responsible for what problem on the Acela's, they won't be building anything for Amtrak.

If the two can come to terms over the Acela debacle, then Bombardier may have a chance if and when Amtrak ever gets some money for new equipment.

I also wouldn't count out seeing something from Talgo, again assuming that Amtrak ever gets some money. Overall the Talgo trainsets in Washington have done quite nicely for Amtrak. :)

AlanB said:
xlr said:
Most certainly Bombardier.  They built the superliner IIs, even though the first generation was built by pullman-standard (I think).
Well at least until Amtrak and Bombardier can come to some agreement on whose responsible for what problem on the Acela's, they won't be building anything for Amtrak.

If the two can come to terms over the Acela debacle, then Bombardier may have a chance if and when Amtrak ever gets some money for new equipment.

I also wouldn't count out seeing something from Talgo, again assuming that Amtrak ever gets some money. Overall the Talgo trainsets in Washington have done quite nicely for Amtrak. :)
Yes they have done nicely in the Pacific Northwest, but weren't there a couple of issues of the trainsets not being up to FRA standards?

Well the trainsets recieved temporary certificates while further testing was done, but the trainsets should have no trouble getting full FRA certification. As far as another rebutible builder goes, Amtrak may look to Alstom as they built the California cars, F59PHI's, and rebuilds on the AEM-7AC's.

Amfleet said:
Yes they have done nicely in the Pacific Northwest, but weren't there a couple of issues of the trainsets not being up to FRA standards?
Amfleet,

You are correct, in fact all of the current Talgo sets in use by Amtrak are not up to FRA collision standards. They were however granted a waiver, since the sets were ordered to meet the FRA standards in effect at the time they were purchased.

Then the FRA raised the collision standards while the sets were being built. So the FRA had to "grandfather" the sets, since they met the rules in effect at the time they were purchased.

All of this however is moot, since the current choices from Talgo do meet and/or exceed all current FRA specs.

Anyone know what happened to the Talgo Lakeliner they were proposing for HSR systems?

battalion51 said:
Anyone know what happened to the Talgo Lakeliner they were proposing for HSR systems?
Well I think that Talgo is still proposing that train. I'm not sure if anyone in America is listening to them right now, however. :(

If and when Amtrak decides to buy more HSR sets for the NEc, Lakeliner'd be my top choice.

Getting back to the Viewliners, would Amtrak be more likely to get Baggage Dorms, as was ordered initially before Morrison-Knudsen went bankrupt, or would something, more like a Dorm Lounge, only with an actual, more comfortable lounge and a conductors office be more practical.

Full Dorms (Conductors office where Rooms A, B, and H are, and a second shower where the attedants room is) plus Dining Cars would be on the top of my priority list.

I'd think that you'd see Diner's and more Sleepers first. They are the highest priority and most needed right now.

battalion51 said:
Full Dorms (Conductors office where Rooms A, B, and H are, and a second shower where the attedants room is) plus Dining Cars would be on the top of my priority list.
While I could see that being a practical design, wouldn't A, B and H be overdoing it a little? I could understand H and A, being ample room, but extending it to B would seem like a bit much.

And yes, I'd opt for Diners (provided they're designed by someone who's actually been in a conventional diner, unlike 8400's designer) as being a top priority, but #1 has to be at least 10 more sleepers, probably more to allow for additional growth. At some point, maybe also deluxe sleepers for Silver Service.

Viewliner said:
battalion51 said:
While I could see that being a practical design, wouldn't A, B and H be overdoing it a little? I could understand H and A, being ample room, but extending it to B would seem like a bit much.

And yes, I'd opt for Diners (provided they're designed by someone who's actually been in a conventional diner, unlike 8400's designer) as being a top priority, but #1 has to be at least 10 more sleepers, probably more to allow for additional growth. At some point, maybe also deluxe sleepers for Silver Service.
I agree Viewliner. The conductor just needs an office, not a friggin suite at the Taj Mahal. :lol: :D

As for builder, I would probably have the most faith in Talgo, based on their reliability. The only other real choice that could be made would be Bombardier, provided as you guys said the issues between Amtrak and Bombardier are resolved. Also, these Viewliners shouldn't have to be as technologically complex as the Acelas or even the current cars to a certain degree. Replacement parts should be readily available, and at more reasonable prices.

AlanB said:
The conductor just needs an office, not a friggin suite at the Taj Mahal. :lol: :D
Well I guess you could narrow it down to just H and A, convert B to room for two more crew rooms. I don't think you all realize how much room I plan for the Conductors office though. I think they should have a work space where all the tickets (sorted by destination) can easily be laid out, room for delay reports, train orders, manifest, and of course you can't forget the grip. The space could function for both Conductors if large enough.

battalion51 said:
AlanB said:
The conductor just needs an office, not a friggin suite at the Taj Mahal.   :lol:   :D
Well I guess you could narrow it down to just H and A, convert B to room for two more crew rooms. I don't think you all realize how much room I plan for the Conductors office though. I think they should have a work space where all the tickets (sorted by destination) can easily be laid out, room for delay reports, train orders, manifest, and of course you can't forget the grip. The space could function for both Conductors if large enough.
Yes, but remember that the H room without the vanity, toilet/shower, and beds is a heck of a lot larger. It alone might almost be big enough for what you suggest. Then add in the A room, again minus the extras, and you've probably got enough room for all of what you want. In fact I'd bet that you can get the conductor, the AC, and a flag all into that office at once.

Might even have room left for the engineer, although that's probably not a good place for him to be. :lol: :D

The only issue is what to do with the space where room A is? Would something like maybe a Table/Casual Seating area for the crew and a linen closet (roughly the size of a Standard Bedroom) be practical? If not, what would work better?

Alan and AC and a Flag are the same guy. Now granted there are extreme situations where you get two ACs, but the AC can be called the AC, the Flag, or Baggagemaster depending on the Conductor you're talking to. As far as the Engineer goes, you could concievably get him in there while the Fireman runs :lol: (where applicable). Another big feature I'd like to have installed is a base radio (locomotive radio) installed in the office so the Conductor can copy Form Ds, Form EC-1s, or that to work foremen without the Engine crew having to deal with it.

battalion51 said:
Alan and AC and a Flag are the same guy. Now granted there are extreme situations where you get two ACs, but the AC can be called the AC, the Flag, or Baggagemaster depending on the Conductor you're talking to. As far as the Engineer goes, you could concievably get him in there while the Fireman runs :lol: (where applicable). Another big feature I'd like to have installed is a base radio (locomotive radio) installed in the office so the Conductor can copy Form Ds, Form EC-1s, or that to work foremen without the Engine crew having to deal with it.
Not on a train with a conductor, and two AC's. Then the lower seniority AC is refered to as the flag. Happens all the time up here on the NEC. Just hop on an Acela and you'll probably hit three crew members and you'll here all three on the radio, with one AC being called the flag and the other AC being refered to as the AC. Of course half the time they just call each other by their first names too.

Granted I was apply my knowledge of the NEC, where staffing is greater than it probably ever would be on a train with Viewliners. The only exception might be the Federal. So yes in some sense you're right, there will never be a conductor, an A/C, and a flag in that room. However I was just trying to point out, just how much room would be available in a office made out of the H & A rooms.

Good point Alan. The other major difference on the NEC is that there are no coach attendants, like we have in Intercity. Also, you all use the seat check method, rather than the pull em as you go method. So while we may have longer dwell, we make up for not having to pay an extra AC. Corridor work is a whole nother animal from Intercity.

battalion51 said:
Well I think that Talgo is still proposing that train. I'm not sure if anyone in America is listening to them right now, however. :(
From what I've heard Talgo has proposed a commuter train that will run from Madison, WI area to Chigago, IL. WI has accepted their first proposal and Talgo is working on a second more detailed proposal. I am not sure though if Amtrak will have anything to do with this route? From what I understand they won't but I may have misunderstood. Sounded like probably about a years time to work everything out.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back