New dining options (flex dining) effective October 1, 2019

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Obviously some are going to go into it with a bad taste simply because they don’t like the new format and aren’t going to like it no matter what.
You might have a point there...
When I get to sample the new service, I am going to try to have an attitude of: “have low expectations, and you won’t be disappointed”...although that may be difficult to achieve, considering how much I enjoyed my last diner experiences on the Meteor and Crescent.

I will psyche myself to expect nothing, and then try to appreciate whatever is offered...:)

Perception is all in the individual and their expectations ...
  • Some people wince at the thought of eating at McDonalds - but they are extremely popular and many people love their food
  • Some people would think eating at Outback or Chilis is "Great!" - while others just view their food as OK
  • Some love to go to "5 Star" restaurants - while those who are used to Texas Roadhouse would call the 5 Star portions "too small"
I'm sure there are some who think the new food is "just fine" while others will not be satisfied no matter how good it is since it is not "chef cooked" onboard.

• Some people wince at the thought of eating at McDonalds - but they are extremely popular and many people love their food
  • Some people would think eating at Outback or Chilis is "Great!" - while others just view their food as OK
  • Some love to go to "5 Star" restaurants - while those who are used to Texas Roadhouse would call the 5 Star portions "too small"
I'm sure there are some who think the new food is "just fine" while others will not be satisfied no matter how good it is since it is not "chef cooked" onboard.

The saying “One person’s trash is another person’s treasure” applies here. I’m riding the Cardinal and Silver Meteor in December, and while the conversation has been interesting to read, the final judge in my own opinion will be me. I do appreciate the heads up to not set my expectations very high, but I go in with a clean slate in my mind regarding yea or nay.

By the way, I did not tip, considering I did half of the work myself. I didn't see anyone else leaving tips, either. So the OBS crews might start to get a bit annoyed about that and perhaps put in their two cents about bringing real dining back?

I did tip, only because the one attendant was working nonstop and had no help for what was at least a two-person job. Others did also, but it sounds like the experience on my trip was different from others on this thread as far as quality of service. I am not a fan of punishing front line employees for decisions over their heads and not in their control, unless of course they take their disappointment out on customers which seems to be the experience of others here.

When I get to sample the new service, I am going to try to have an attitude of: “have low expectations, and you won’t be disappointed." I will psyche myself to expect nothing, and then try to appreciate whatever is offered.
When I visit with someone as a guest I bring no expectations and appreciate anything offered. When I spend hundreds of dollars for slow and meandering travel I have slightly higher expectations than "nothing" at all.

The saying “One person’s trash is another person’s treasure” applies here.
Where I live trash is usually free. How much does trash cost where you live?

* Some people wince at the thought of eating at McDonalds - but they are extremely popular and many people love their food
* Some people would think eating at Outback or Chilis is "Great!" - while others just view their food as OK
* Some love to go to "5 Star" restaurants - while those who are used to Texas Roadhouse would call the 5 Star portions "too small"
I have no particular problem with McDonald's, Outback, Chili's, or Texas Roadhouse. They may not be anything to write home about quality wise, but they're all acceptable value for the time and money involved, whereas Anderson's new overnight Amchow initiative is a huge turnoff.

Last edited:
By the way, I did not tip, considering I did half of the work myself. I didn't see anyone else leaving tips, either. So the OBS crews might start to get a bit annoyed about that and perhaps put in their two cents about bringing real dining back?
I did tip on the Silver Meteor (even though I did not have an entree), but not as much as I would for table service. The LSA, who I know and knows me by name, got me drinks and hot water. He had a tip tray on the half door leading into the kitchen.

I probably would on the Meteor as well, since they have always been very helpful.

I did not mean to sound unkind--I usually tip very well. But the crew on the LSL (first time I have been on it, so I don't know if this is standard for them) in general seemed pleasant but not particularly helpful. (For example, when I was getting ready to detrain at ALB, my SCA came down the hall and said, very nicely, with a smile, "You ready?" but did not offer to carry my suitcase, which he saw I was carrying!) I did give him a tip, since he had to do the room over after I left, but not as much as I normally would.

Similarly, with the LSA, he waited for people to go up and ask him how everything worked instead of explaining as we came in (it was not busy yet).

I probably would on the Meteor as well, since they have always been very helpful.

I did not mean to sound unkind--I usually tip very well. But the crew on the LSL (first time I have been on it, so I don't know if this is standard for them) in general seemed pleasant but not particularly helpful. (For example, when I was getting ready to detrain at ALB, my SCA came down the hall and said, very nicely, with a smile, "You ready?" but did not offer to carry my suitcase, which he saw I was carrying!) I did give him a tip, since he had to do the room over after I left, but not as much as I normally would.

Similarly, with the LSA, he waited for people to go up and ask him how everything worked instead of explaining as we came in (it was not busy yet).

I probably should have clarified I was on the Meteor, and it was 2 weeks into the new flex dining so the kinks are probably still being worked out. I haven't taken the LSL so I can't say whether or not I would have tipped on that line.

I did tip on the Silver Meteor (even though I did not have an entree), but not as much as I would for table service. The LSA, who I know and knows me by name, got me drinks and hot water. He had a tip tray on the half door leading into the kitchen.

Ours had a cardboard box lol.... I gave $1 at breakfast for getting me coffee and hot water for my oatmeal, and $5 at lunch and dinner since that involved a bit more work. Can't recall what I tipped for traditional service on the trip down since I based in on 20% of menu prices.

Obviously some are going to go into it with a bad taste simply because they don’t like the new format and aren’t going to like it no matter what.

I went in with an open mind and was surprised how much I didn’t mind the lack of table service. The service wasn’t perfect, but it worked.

But the food, presentation, and the selection was bad.

I went up on the Silver meteor and returned on Delta. Here was my meal on delta compared with my meal on the Silver meteor.

Attachments

• 1BF2F95E-F4B0-4176-BB19-50DE11412E17.jpeg
    1BF2F95E-F4B0-4176-BB19-50DE11412E17.jpeg
    79.1 KB · Views: 70
  • BAFF8DA6-A309-4669-880E-BB09918199E7.jpeg
    BAFF8DA6-A309-4669-880E-BB09918199E7.jpeg
    73.6 KB · Views: 70
I went in with an open mind and was surprised how much I didn’t mind the lack of table service. The service wasn’t perfect, but it worked.

But the food, presentation, and the selection was bad.

I went up on the Silver meteor and returned on Delta. Here was my meal on delta compared with my meal on the Silver meteor.

Thanks for the photos to compare. What Amtrak is offering is unacceptable to me as compared to what flying Delta offers.

The previous posts about whether the Auto Train does/will or does not/ will not have a true Sightseer Lounge Car with a Dining Car also causes my doubts to return about booking the Auto Train.

When I spend money for a trip, I want what I am buying to be as well of a known quantity as much as possible. I realize that any travel booking can be a "crap shoot". But, Amtrak on their LD services seems to becoming a more likely negative experience than a positive one.

Surely glad I rode on Silver Meteor SB and NB last Winter. Would not do it now!

Not applicable. I make the decision regarding my opinion on whether trash is trash. I have the ability to think for myself.
By all means please do form your own opinion. Right now Amtrak is going to need lots of customers who will accept downgrade after downgrade and call it treasure. Although somewhat counter-intuitive the best case scenario for people like me is that other passengers continue to buy enough tickets to keep Amtrak vaguely solvent until we can hopefully replace enough congresspeople and board members to eventually reverse the Mica-Andy cuts. I doubt that day is coming anytime soon, so hopefully some people discover they really enjoy Amtrak's new lean cuisine dining.

Last edited:
The previous posts about whether the Auto Train does/will or does not/ will not have a true Sightseer Lounge Car with a Dining Car also causes my doubts to return about booking the Auto Train.
It’s obviously your choice but there is no doubt what your train would have. It will have a full service dining car and a lounge car that looks like what a recent photo someone posted did. The auto train is not getting flex dining. The nearly refurbished lounges are a perfectly fine lounge for this trip and there is really almost no difference than when it had the sightseer. It still has big windows and plenty of tables just not the above facing windows. This trip doesn’t have the long beautiful scenery that the western trains have so it isn’t a loss at all in my opinion. The auto train is also at night a lot of the trip. The lounge has just as many tables and I like how the bar/food service is upstairs rather than downstairs on the SSL - I think I like the current car better for the AT then when it had an SSL. It’s up to you whether you want to book it, but I just took it the other day and had a fine trip, and will be taking it next week and plan to always use it for going to Florida in the future as I always do. It’s a great way to go to Florida in my opinion and very convenient. If you prefer flying, fly, but if you prefer the train in sleepers I wouldn’t hesitate. Again though, obviously your choice.

By all means please do form your own opinion. Right now Amtrak is going to need lots of customers who will accept downgrade after downgrade and call it treasure. Although somewhat counter-intuitive the best case scenario for people like me is that other passengers continue to buy enough tickets to keep Amtrak vaguely solvent until we can hopefully replace enough congresspeople and board members to eventually reverse the Mica-Andy cuts. I doubt that day is coming anytime soon, so hopefully some people discover they really enjoy Amtrak's new lean cuisine dining.

You've taken my words out of context. All I said was I'll form my own opinion, good or bad, when I experience it. I'm not following you down a rabbit hole just because you think the new meals are trash. They may very well be, but I'll form my own opinion and likely not share it here being that you crucify me for what you perceive me to be saying.

So here's an interesting question.....right now the Star bookings, still listed without meal service, go into mid September. Flex dining is supposed to be added to the Star "sometime next year" if I recall reading earlier in the thread. If you book early enough out, and then in the interim flexible dining is added, does this mean you would get these so-called meals free of charge? I'd hate to pay extra for them if the fare goes up to match the Meteor.
Is that like Amtrak allowing a mixture of points and cash for tickets "in the near future" (or some such words) that we heard years ago?

I'm not following you down a rabbit hole just because you think the new meals are trash. They may very well be, but I'll form my own opinion and likely not share it here being that you crucify me for what you perceive me to be saying.

Please do share your thoughts. I’ll ask this question... does the current menu and photos that you’ve seen sound / look appealing to you?

They have claimed they are actually spending more now on the actual food than they were. I guess you just have to take them at their word with that claim. But if it’s true and if people are reacting negatively across the board they should hold them accountable and make sure they are delivering the best product possible for the format. But I guess again the question is, is it simple a matter of lousy quality meals being delivered or is it the on board preparation that’s the problem when people have had bad experiences? Obviously some are going to go into it with a bad taste simply because they don’t like the new format and aren’t going to like it no matter what.
That's perfectly normal. Prepackaged food costs a lot more than fresher ingredients you have to spend time cooking yourself. Compare the Chicken-little Alfredo with the previous chicken dinner. You got a lot more chicken and a lot fewer carbs. while it wasn't fresh, it tasted a lot fresher than noodle-roney with a hint of chicken. What if they just had the old food on the new mini-plastic plates with plastic cutlery, no tablecloths, min-salad and no cloth napkins? That would be closer to a true comparison of "food costs". Then the real difference would be between "you want fries with that?" and someone actually cooking and another actually serving.

Please do share your thoughts. I’ll ask this question... does the current menu and photos that you’ve seen sound / look appealing to you?

They don't....but looks can be deceiving. That's why I'm withholding my opinion until I experience them. Also, see, I'll be judged badly if I end up liking what I eat to any extent. I am already, apparently, for keeping an open mind until next month. FWIW, I had breakfasts on the LSL last month from CHI-SYR and back and they weren't all that bad. I don't want to be seen as supporting the cuts, but food is not my highest priority when travelling by train. It's the train travel itself.

You've taken my words out of context. All I said was I'll form my own opinion, good or bad, when I experience it. I'm not following you down a rabbit hole just because you think the new meals are trash. They may very well be, but I'll form my own opinion and likely not share it here being that you crucify me for what you perceive me to be saying.
Crucify? There's no need to be melodramatic. If you're concerned about criticism I won't make any comment on your opinion of flexible dining if you post it.

Crucify? There's no need to be melodramatic. If you're concerned about criticism I won't make any comment on your opinion of flexible dining if you post it.

Not necessary. Just FYI, reacting to your accusations, assumptions and taking my words out of context is not being melodramatic, sorry to inform you. Enough said, I'm done with this needless back and forth. I don't like doing this.

Last edited:
What if they just had the old food on the new mini-plastic plates with plastic cutlery, no tablecloths, min-salad and no cloth napkins? That would be closer to a true comparison of "food costs".
You do realize that the food, except for the steaks, in the "traditional dining" is also precooked? I guess I'll find out next week whether the actual dishes they selected for this "flex dining" are really as bad as everybody seems to say they are.

Back