New dining options (flex dining) effective October 1, 2019

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On 20, the Crescent coming into Culpepper Va about 21/2 hrs late. At 7 am they were out of the breakfast sandwiches (the attendant called it Jimmy Dean. Said they only had one and the guy in front of me got it She said the people boarding in New Orleans ate them yesterday morning and there was no where to pick any more up before D.C.

Pretty pathetic. So far I'd say it's worse than the intro last year on the CL!
Couldn't Amtrak cut a deal with a Travelodge, a Comfort Inn or a Clarion hotel near a stop and arrange for passengers to walk to the hotel and have a nice (by Amtrak standards) breakfast while the train waited. Sort of like a modern Harvey House operation. Even coach passengers could be fed.

Anyone know if the ovens Amtrak is using with this new food service are the Turbo Chef convection/microwave ovens like Subway sandwich shops and Starbucks are using?

Anyone know if the ovens Amtrak is using with this new food service are the Turbo Chef convection/microwave ovens like Subway sandwich shops and Starbucks are using?

Just a note on the Crescent - worst ever! I’ll go into more detail on my trip report but the whole f&b service is a mess and out of control.

The SCA came by and told us that the only item left was the chicken. He said he was taking reservations and what did we want. Jokingly, we said the shrimp dish and he again asked what did we want. My wife then said since you only have chicken, I’ll take the chicken. He wrote her order down and then asked me what did I want! Of course, I said chicken! He then said we could go to lunch at 12:30 PM. We went at 12:30 PM and found our breakfast mates sitting there. They said that their reservation was for 12:00 PM but they hadn’t been served yet.

Flexible dining!

Anyway, I went up to the kitchen and let the attendant know that we were there. She asked us to wait while she took care of a large family (at least 10 people, I can’t be sure).

Anyway around 1:00 pm when they cleared out, I went back up and she asked if I wanted the shrimp dish and I took it for both. I had ordered the Stone IPA and she said she was out and gave me a Stella instead. She had no rolls having given them all out to the family ahead of us.

Meanwhile the folks with the “12:00 PM reservation” still had not been served. I suggested to the gentleman that he needed to c
Go back up and try to get his order.

I saw him come back with his food around 1:30pm.

I’ll deal with the food later but will advise that when my wife tried to get a ginger ale, she was told they were out and they gave her an apple juice.

Total chaos!

Just a note on the Crescent - worst ever! I’ll go into more detail on my trip report but the whole f&b service is a mess and out of control.

Total chaos!

Thanks for the warning. I realized that it is always good to take along a supply of food. Didn't realize we would have to pack in our own drinks.

The SCA came by and told us that the only item left was the chicken. He said he was taking reservations and what did we want. Jokingly, we said the shrimp dish and he again asked what did we want. My wife then said since you only have chicken, I’ll take the chicken. He wrote her order down and then asked me what did I want! Of course, I said chicken! He then said we could go to lunch at 12:30 PM. We went at 12:30 PM and found our breakfast mates sitting there. They said that their reservation was for 12:00 PM but they hadn’t been served yet.

Flexible dining!

Anyway, I went up to the kitchen and let the attendant know that we were there. She asked us to wait while she took care of a large family (at least 10 people, I can’t be sure).

Anyway around 1:00 pm when they cleared out, I went back up and she asked if I wanted the shrimp dish and I took it for both. I had ordered the Stone IPA and she said she was out and gave me a Stella instead. She had no rolls having given them all out to the family ahead of us.

Meanwhile the folks with the “12:00 PM reservation” still had not been served. I suggested to the gentleman that he needed to c
Go back up and try to get his order.

I saw him come back with his food around 1:30pm.

I’ll deal with the food later but will advise that when my wife tried to get a ginger ale, she was told they were out and they gave her an apple juice.

Total chaos!

This is discouraging to hear.....I did change tomorrow’s reservation from the Star to the Meteor, really just to get to NY about 8 hours earlier and not for the food. Still, thinking the noodle bowl had better be at least somewhat edible since I’ll have to get it twice in this trip, but if even that can run out I might as well be on the Starve :/

This is discouraging to hear.....I did change tomorrow’s reservation from the Star to the Meteor, really just to get to NY about 8 hours earlier and not for the food. Still, thinking the noodle bowl had better be at least somewhat edible since I’ll have to get it twice in this trip, but if even that can run out I might as well be on the Starve :/

There were no noodle bowls available.

Just completed a trip from CVS-ALX on the Cardinal. The only options left were the Noodle Bowl and Chicken Fettucini. The children’s meals were gone and my son was offered a hot dog which he happily accepted. My wife and I each had the noodle bowl; it contains no protein, at the least it should have tofu. It tasted like a microwaved frozen meal and we agreed it was lower quality than a typical domestic airline first class meal. Dessert was not discussed nor offered. We each ordered a stone IPA and that was still available. We booked a sleeper for our trip back mostly to have the privacy, definitely not worth it for the food.

I too rode the Cardinal from CHI-NYP. I had a hot dog for dinner the second night and my friend had a Cheeseburger as they were out of all the other options except the Chicken Fettuccini. We were offered a hot dog, hamburger, pizza, or sandwich. All of these options were more appealing to us than the meal choices. The “server” did save two of the “salads” for us to eat with our meal.

Back tracking a bit, I will say that the level of service provided was higher than I expected given the current reviews and lack of the Viewliner “Sleeper Lounge.” This is attributed fully to the crew and not to the concept itself. The first night the menus were out on the table like a “dining car” and all options were available. Presentation was nice and the desserts were warmed up and presented as well. Table service was provided. No horrors of tin foil covered meals or ungrateful counter service. Now it should be noted this is not the norm as the service model calls for counter service, however the “server” was doing what he could to make it a bit more pleasant of an experience for the customers. The overall sentiment, however was no one openly preferred this model over the previous traditional dining, granted the Cardinal did not have traditional dining in the recent past. By day two many options had run out, however they did offer alternatives for dinner if you selected an option that was not available.

Overall the food wasn’t the worst I have ever had and might be fine for one meal if food service were not otherwise offered, however not for multiple meals or counter service (nutritional facts aside). Yes, I am technically a Millennial (by year definition) and I can tell you there are days I don’t want to dine communally with others in a dining car, however I was perfectly fine taking my traditional lunches and dinners in my room on the Zephyr from EMY-CHI while playing around on my phone (or whatever us Millennials are supposedly doing). Breakfast in the dining car was amazing both days because the staff made it amazing. Plus the pancakes were very big and fluffy too! I would like parts of the concept of flexible dining if it didn’t compromise the food options and if the traditional model were still available to those who enjoy it. I did not grow up in an era where fine railroad dining was available with China and glassware, however I can appreciate and respect the sentiment that people have regarding more traditional dining on a train. It is an important part of what makes the experience so enjoyable and memorable for many. It might not be my everyday enjoyment when I ride a train, but flexible dining certainly is not the answer either.

Couldn't Amtrak cut a deal with a Travelodge, a Comfort Inn or a Clarion hotel near a stop and arrange for passengers to walk to the hotel and have a nice (by Amtrak standards) breakfast while the train waited. Sort of like a modern Harvey House operation. Even coach passengers could be fed.
You have to remember that in the Harvey House days the stations were built with side tracks so that the passenger trains could be parked off the main line while the passengers dined. I don't think that the present-day freight railroads would be happy with Amtrak blocking their mains for 30-40 minutes as the passengers ate.

I would like parts of the concept of flexible dining if it didn’t compromise the food options ... an era where fine railroad dining was available with China and glassware

I can see where the concept could work if properly executed ... so far it doesn't sound like it is being accomplished very well

As far as china and glassware ... I would be fine with some type of plastic cup/glass (like the kind many stadiums use) that I could keep with the Amtrak Logo and the Route name/logo on it. I would not want a paper/disposable cup/glass that would not last as a keepsake.

Imagine being able to collect an entire set of cups like this - having one for each train route with a dining car. As far as I know, they never let you keep the china or glassware.

I would like parts of the concept of flexible dining if it didn’t compromise the food options and if the traditional model were still available to those who enjoy it. I did not grow up in an era where fine railroad dining was available with China and glassware, however I can appreciate and respect the sentiment that people have regarding more traditional dining on a train. It is an important part of what makes the experience so enjoyable and memorable for many. It might not be my everyday enjoyment when I ride a train, but flexible dining certainly is not the answer either.

This is my thought as well. I like the fancy dining cars but sometimes the whole process is a bit much. A more casual dining car service I can get behind. But the food and selections is a major downgrade.

I’m still not sure why they couldn’t have kept the chef and not the LSA since the LSA is having to prepare all the meals.

I’m still not sure why they couldn’t have kept the chef and not the LSA since the LSA is having to prepare all the meals.
I think LSA is the proper job classification that describes a single food service crew member having to work alone. I don’t think the fact that they have that job title limits how they can prepare food rather the service format and meal options do. From my understanding these jobs did not automatically go to the “LSA - Diner” that were in the traditional dining cars. All the diner crew member jobs were cut and these “LSA” jobs were considered new positions and were awarded to affected employees based on seniority. I think only the CONO and Cardinal crew members got direct transfers because they only had a single food service worker with the diner lite format. It very well may be that a couple of these LSAs were Chefs in the former configuration. I think theoretically that if they put out a flex dining meal that required some usage of the grill for finishing that the LSA could do that if it was required. I think it’s a matter of the food choices offered. It is possible to have acceptable preprepared meals - I have had several decent ones in Acela first class. Everyone with negative experiences should send them into Amtrak (and if you try one you like send that in too) it makes sense to keep the acceptable ones and get rid of the inedible ones. While they aren’t going to bring back traditional dining on these trains, there is room for improvement and if they can’t get decent products out of Aramark they should seek a new commissary operator.

Last edited:
We're paying first-class fares. We shouldn't be getting coach food.

I think the reason for the air tight packaging in this particular meal choice is because it’s kosher. And kosher meals have to be sealed in that way to maintain the integrity. Borenstein is a kosher meal provider and is probably where Aramark sources their kosher meals from. This is not likely exactly representative of how the non kosher meals are packaged/look before plating. Maybe it isn’t any better, but just pointing out that this specific packaging is representative for kosher only.

I think LSA is the proper job classification that describes a single food service crew member having to work alone. I don’t think the fact that they have that job title limits how they can prepare food rather the service format and meal options do. From my understanding these jobs did not automatically go to the “LSA - Diner” that were in the traditional dining cars. All the diner crew member jobs were cut and these “LSA” jobs were considered new positions and were awarded to affected employees based on seniority. I think only the CONO and Cardinal crew members got direct transfers because they only had a single food service worker with the diner lite format. It very well may be that a couple of these LSAs were Chefs in the former configuration. I think theoretically that if they put out a flex dining meal that required some usage of the grill for finishing that the LSA could do that if it was required. I think it’s a matter of the food choices offered. It is possible to have acceptable preprepared meals - I have had several decent ones in Acela first class. Everyone with negative experiences should send them into Amtrak (and if you try one you like send that in too) it makes sense to keep the acceptable ones and get rid of the inedible ones. While they aren’t going to bring back traditional dining on these trains, there is room for improvement and if they can’t get decent products out of Aramark they should seek a new commissary operator.
To what part of Amtrak should one send info about acceptable meals and bad meals? Customer relations or...?

I'm on the Crescent southbound, in N AL., 30 min. late. Dinner: I had the beef stew; wife had shrimp and Andouille sausage. Both were tasty. Did not equal a steak cooked the way I want, with or without crabcake on top, per the old regime, but only occupied one person, compared to old staff of at least three, probably four. Dessert was either a brownie or a blondie, not really much choice, but they were OK. (Yes, I tried both mains and both desserts, cause my POSSLQ had the other and we exchanged bites.)
A big saving was in salad dressing, which was a small Heinz (I think) packet, compared to the huge Paul Newman packets we used to get, large enough for at least two salads.
Another saving was: no table cloths. However, Amtrak hasn't figured this out yet: we rounded a curve, S of Alexandria, and my wine and water slid smartly to the R on the plain formica table, hit the wall, and the water spilled some ice onto the table and floor. A paper placemat will probably fix that problem.
Breakfast was full of carbohydrates and packaging but not bad. I had raisin bran with half a banana on top with yogurt and milk, and also an egg sausage mcmuffin. Lunch will be dinner again. No lunch menu!
Going to Meridian and then renting a car and driving to Jackson and Tougaloo College for its 150th anniv. Then we'll drive back to Meridian and fly back to DC, since the northbound Crescent schedule doesn't meet our needs.

I'm on the Crescent southbound, in N AL., 30 min. late. Dinner: I had the beef stew; wife had shrimp and Andouille sausage. Both were tasty. Did not equal a steak cooked the way I want, with or without crabcake on top, per the old regime, but only occupied one person, compared to old staff of at least three, probably four. Dessert was either a brownie or a blondie, not really much choice, but they were OK. (Yes, I tried both mains and both desserts, cause my POSSLQ had the other and we exchanged bites.)
A big saving was in salad dressing, which was a small Heinz (I think) packet, compared to the huge Paul Newman packets we used to get, large enough for at least two salads.
Another saving was: no table cloths. However, Amtrak hasn't figured this out yet: we rounded a curve, S of Alexandria, and my wine and water slid smartly to the R on the plain formica table, hit the wall, and the water spilled some ice onto the table and floor. A paper placemat will probably fix that problem.
Breakfast was full of carbohydrates and packaging but not bad. I had raisin bran with half a banana on top with yogurt and milk, and also an egg sausage mcmuffin. Lunch will be dinner again. No lunch menu!
Going to Meridian and then renting a car and driving to Jackson and Tougaloo College for its 150th anniv. Then we'll drive back to Meridian and fly back to DC, since the northbound Crescent schedule doesn't meet our needs.

Similar experience here on Meteor northbound.... boarded in Fort Lauderdale, breakfast "buffet" was still open, I had oatmeal and Kind bar, DH had the sausage egg muffin, both really missed the omelets we had on the way down. They also had bananas, yogurt, two kinds of prepackaged muffins, three kinds of cold cereal, milk and juice. Our sleeper attendant then took lunch and dinner orders while we were still in the dining car talking to other disappointed passengers, and asked for preferred meal times as well as whether we'd want to eat in the bedroom or "lounge" again. He took drink orders also for both meals, mentioned the first was free.

At noon, our scheduled time, we went to the lounge.....it was easier for only one of us to wait at the counter for both meals because a line already had started and was crowded with one of the sleeper attendants coming in and out for the room service orders. Waited almost 15 minutes with only one person ahead of me, because only one attendant was working the meal counter and putting together the orders.

Salad was about 5-6 bites, tiny dressing packages in either ranch, Italian or lite Italian. Rolls were good and a decent size, not warmed. I had the noodle bowl, hubby had the shrimp and sausage with rice. Vegetables in the noodle bowl looked overcooked but tasted ok. Someone mentioned there is no protein in the noodle bowl but there is about a tablespoon of edamame for whatever that's worth. Napkins were that durable almost cloth-like type, plastic flatware that tries to look like silverware. The funky trays are reusable and collected. No dessert or coffee were offered, but I didn't ask. I grabbed coffee from the ice and coffee service station in our bedroom car.

The lounge is the same as the dining car that we had our traditional dining meals on the trip down, though minus the tablecloths. My wine was served with stadium type plastic cups with Amtrak logo, but thankfully the drinks and rolls were given to me in one of those boxes where you can form cupholders in the corners, so that's how I avoided spilling my drink. Classy.

Dinner is at 6, if anything noteworthy is different I'll report back, but since we both ordered the same meals again I don't anticipate much.

No dessert or coffee were offered, but I didn't ask.

I was on the Meteor northbound and soutbound last week, both trips with flex dining. On the northbound trip, you had to go back to the LSA and request desserts. I shared with the woman at the next table. On the southbound trip, the LSA placed the desserts on one of the tables and it was self serve. Both northbound and southbound, I requested hot water for my tea. I tipped the LSA, but not as much as I would for table service.

One of the Meteor sleeper car attendants is a friend of mine and she told me that she never stopped walking back and forth from the sleeper car to the sleeper lounge, picking up and delivering meals. It seems like no one is happy with the new system.

I was on the Meteor northbound and soutbound last week, both trips with flex dining. On the northbound trip, you had to go back to the LSA and request desserts. I shared with the woman at the next table. On the southbound trip, the LSA placed the desserts on one of the tables and it was self serve. Both northbound and southbound, I requested hot water for my tea. I tipped the LSA, but not as much as I would for table service.

One of the Meteor sleeper car attendants is a friend of mine and she told me that she never stopped walking back and forth from the sleeper car to the sleeper lounge, picking up and delivering meals. It seems like no one is happy with the new system.

It is very clumsy and awkward....poorly set up from a logistical perspective.

I think your friend was our attendant on the trip down and I was hoping I'd see her again this time.

Last edited:
Some new info, we just had a “smoke and stretch” stop where one of the attendants was apparently showing my husband some of the packaging labels.....the amount of sodium is insane, I want to say 2000 milligrams? One of our fellow passengers is a pharmacist and was concerned about the number of seniors that travel by train having such unhealthy choices.

Some new info, we just had a “smoke and stretch” stop where one of the attendants was apparently showing my husband some of the packaging labels.....the amount of sodium is insane, I want to say 2000 milligrams? One of our fellow passengers is a pharmacist and was concerned about the number of seniors that travel by train having such unhealthy choices.
Many heat-and-serve meals exceed 1200 mg, and if it has sauce, that number jumps even higher. 1500-2000 wouldn't surprise me, depending on the ingredients and size of the meal.

For comparison's sake, I looked at some of the food on the trains that still have a traditional diner. The Thyme Chicken Breast w/ Creamy Mushroom Sauce on the CZ only has 700 mg of sodium, and that includes the veggies and mashed potatoes. On the other hand, the Chicken & Bacon Fettucine Carbonara has 1360 mg of sodium. So really, the sodium content has always been a gamble, even before the flex dining.

(Not being an apologist. Just offering up some comparisons.)

I did notice the new meals are on the Amtrak Food Facts site, if you want to take a look at the nutrition info.

Another theory among some passengers is a kickback....meaning to whoever owns the company producing these meals. There’s also talk about why the soda companies changed, which I wasn’t even aware had happened.

Back