New dining options (flex dining) effective October 1, 2019

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That would not surprise me. This move is not being done to enhance passenger experience (except perhaps bad experience).
I sense automatic negativity here The RPA was the source that mentioned the new convection ovens for the dining cars, so this didn't come from this air, something was being done. I'm just not sure if this means Amtrak has completed the modifications or enough of the modifications. The new ovens are supposed to do 24 meals at once compared to the 2 the old setup could do.

That was the point of my earlier post concerning the RPA. I think they are being played by Amtrak’s management to a great extent. Someone with first hand knowledge should be able to verify modifications on some units at this point. As far as negativity Anderson’s actions have instilled a lot of it.

That was the point of my earlier post concerning the RPA. I think they are being played by Amtrak’s management to a great extent. Someone with first hand knowledge should be able to verify modifications on some units at this point. As far as negativity Anderson’s actions have instilled a lot of it.
I quite agree. There is really no reason for optimism regarding this foolishness.

No. The longest train rides are two nights and two days. India is a very big country. Not as big as the US, but still very big.
Food service was not removed in any cases. Delivery of food methodolgy was modified. Indian railfans were not hung up on having Restaurant Cars at all. They were more fixated on getting the particular diet that suited them at their seats if possible, and that is what they got. In some sense the food that they got out of the deal was no worse and sometimes better than before.

Remember very very few Indians had access to Restaurant Cars (only the Sahibs had access until independence), and even fewer could afford it even when they had access. So nothing was missed by 99.5% of the traveling public.

Food was traditionally provided on trains from en route kitchens at food service stations in most cases. Orders were taken from customers on the train several hours before meal time and they were telegraphed forward to the food service kitchen station. When the train arrived there food was served at each customer's seat as per their order. That was the way things were and mostly are. Pantry cars are for trains that do not stop much en route, which is a new thing post-independence.

The other thing to keep in mind is that India lives on Tiffin Carriers and Dabbawallas. They are used to carrying food for their entire journey with them in Tiffin Carriers, specially if their dietary needs are not met adequately by what is available en route, and lord knows Indians have varied dietary requirements that no one except themselves can meet sometimes.

So all in all a very different environment. But the economics of it all has some common threads. static kitchens will always be way way cheaper then kitchen on wheels, for example.

Thank you. I was not aware that some of the trains operated for two nights. The demographics of dining car customers and focus on certain diets was interesting too. Amtrak’s logistics are no where near as complicated as India’s.

I feel bad for the crews on the Crescent and Meteor - I have dealt with some great severs on both trains and sad to hear they will all be losing their jobs. Though not surprising if you readthe 5 year plans. This seems to be the reality for the one night trains - though I wouldn’t assume it will happen to the two nighters as the five year plans directly acknowledge the differences in the two night routes as far as food service. I actually think they’d like to have a more premium product on the Zephyr, Builder, and Starlight. But I think it’s a big mistake particular on the Meteor and Crescent which have both seen improved ridership this year.

Well I guess this answers my question. I came to the forum today to ask for advice on which direction I should plan my late September-early October trip from NY, going in a circle to Chicago and NOLA, then back again.

Looks like if I want to enjoy the last of the dining car experience, I will obviously want to take the Crescent first, during the last week in September to NOLA, then try to squeeze in the City of New Orleans before 9/30 up to Chicago. Since the LSL will be same-old same-old anyway, may as well leave that for last and roll in back home to Rhinecliff some time before Columbus Day.

Interestingly, none of these changes are reflected in the room and roomette pricing, at least per amsnag.

Interestingly, none of these changes are reflected in the room and roomette pricing, at least per amsnag.

Why should they cut the price? You are now getting Contemporary Dining. First it was Fresh Choices. When no one imagined it could get any better they came out with Contemporary Dining. Sounds mighty awesome. ;)

A natural progression, I guess. No one should be surprised.

While this would absolutely be an overall meal service improvement on the CONO - the train I probably take the most - it’s a big downgrade for the Crescent, which I also ride often.

Will have try to squeeze in one last ride on the full service Crescent.

Still - I’ll keep on riding the trains as long as they keep running...

Looking at this more, this is probably a huge mistake for Amtrak.

On the Silver Meteor, 48.5% of passengers travel 500 miles or more. And while actual numbers aren't listed, it appears that a majority of those passengers are doing the journey in coach. Contrast to the Silver Star, where less than 1/3 of passengers are traveling more than 500 miles.

While we can debate "contemporary dining" vs conventional dining for sleeping car passengers, this change is going to be a huge loss for a majority of Silver Meteor passengers.

Yes the silver meteor could be the big make or break. It has a more substantial portion of true long distance customers than many other LD trains and a decent sleeper business. Coach is cut out completely and sleeper downgrade. The question is will they admit it if this causes ridership to drop or will they just say people aren’t riding it anymore.

A natural progression, I guess. No one should be surprised.

While this would absolutely be an overall meal service improvement on the CONO - the train I probably take the most - it’s a big downgrade for the Crescent, which I also ride often.

Will have try to squeeze in one last ride on the full service Crescent.

Still - I’ll keep on riding the trains as long as they keep running...

I was hoping the announcement would be that they are doing the CONO and Cardinal as the next step to standardize the lightweight services offered among the trains rather than downgrading the crescent and silver meteor.

I’ll still ride - the diner isn’t the only part of the experience for me and I detest flying. But still disappointing....but then again the most common LD train I ride is the AT and it sounds like that isn’t affected.

Vegetarian meal is hot. It’s an Asian noodle bowl - you can get it served cold if you prefer but if it was me I’d certainly get it hot.
I assume we are talking about the same meal. When I had it on train 48 in March, the noodle bowl was the vegan option and it was served cold. I was not given the option to have it heated. I ate the noodle bowl, without the sauce (since the sauce contains many ingredients I do not eat), using olive oil instead of the sauce in the box.

I do believe the CONO will be affected as they are, I believe, considered an Eastern train. The most drastic changes will come to the Auto Train, Crescent and Silver Meteor which have the general Long Distance menu. I am not going to speculate about when (if) the Western trains will institute the “contemporary dining”. I’m putting my trust in the RPA where that matter is concerned. All I’ll say for now is I’ll continue riding the train, east or west even if it all gets changed. I’m not even sure where the deal breaker lies for me.

Auto train sounds like it’s not included AND it doesn’t have the general LD menu these days. Auto train entrees are actually somewhat similar to what’s offered on contemporary dining and Acela first, but it is served to you on plates with rolls and you get dessert and salads like on the full diners - everything is preprepared before getting to the train and just heated up on AT similar to contemporary dining I think. It’s probably the closest “light weight” diner to a full diner Amtrak has. AT getting contemporary would really more affect the presentation but they could probably still serve the same exact entrees they do now.

I assume we are talking about the same meal. When I had it on train 48 in March, the noodle bowl was the vegan option and it was served cold. I was not given the option to have it heated. I ate the noodle bowl, without the sauce (since the sauce contains many ingredients I do not eat), using olive oil instead of the sauce in the box.

That’s odd the way it was being advertised is that you could get it hot, and on reviews on here people were asked if they wanted it cold or hot. Could be your LSA that particular day just didn’t offer it - not good service if that’s the case.

I really don’t understand why Amtrak just can’t model the contemporary service off of Acela first - use the same rotating meals offered on Acela First and try to bring back a bit nicer presentation. Acela First is usually pretty decent and you don’t hear too many complaints about the service offered on it. (At least I haven’t)

Last edited:
Does the Acela use Aramark for it's food service? I think the LD system has a different catering contract than the NEC does. That might explain the difference.

and I detest flying

Just curious as to why? I’ve gotten more used to flying than I ever thought I would. First class on delta isn’t anymore than a sleeper and is a pretty decent product.

I’m pretty sad I reached the tipping point with Amtrak. I loved taking the train so much.... but enough was finally enough for the LD trains. I’ll try to take the crescent with a full diner one last time.

Just curious as to why? I’ve gotten more used to flying than I ever thought I would. First class on delta isn’t anymore than a sleeper and is a pretty decent product.

I’m pretty sad I reached the tipping point with Amtrak. I loved taking the train so much.... but enough was finally enough for the LD trains. I’ll try to take the crescent with a full diner one last time.
I agree. I wonder if I complain and request full refund on my October trip on the Crescent if I can get a full refund so we can fly First Class instead. The high prices combined with ever deteriorating onboard experiences has made it difficult to go to the Northeast on the Crescent. Amtrak should allow that as the advertised service will be changing Did they offer that when the other trains dumped regular dining?

Back