New Baggage Rules:Have they affected you?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sunchaser

Conductor
I know the 'rules' for baggage changed in October 2015, I was wondering if it has affected anyone, and how?

If you are carrying a laptop bag or backpack, are they counting it as a 'personal item' or 'carryon'?

What about pillows and blankets?

I'm also interested in those of you that go to stations with no checked baggage.

Has anyone found they have been more flexible if you are in a sleeper?

Thanks in advance!

Did a big trip at the end of March, riding the Maple Leaf, an NE Regional, the Capitol Limited, Southwest Chief and Coast Starlight. I travel with a biggish suitcase (but within the Amtrak carry-on allowance), a backpack and a CPAP. Everything was normal, no problems. I did what I usually do on the sleepers, suitcase downstairs, backpack and CPAP with me.

I didn't have to go through any suitcase sizing or weighing at NY Penn, Washington, Chicago or LAUS.

Last edited by a moderator:
Did a big trip at the end of March, riding the Maple Leaf, an NE Regional, the Capitol Limited, Southwest Chief and Coast Starlight. I travel with a biggish suitcase (but within the Amtrak carry-on allowance), a backpack and a CPAP. Everything was normal, no problems. I did what I usually do on the sleepers, suitcase downstairs, backpack and CPAP with me.

I didn't have to go through any suitcase sizing or weighing at NY Penn, Washington, Chicago or LAUS.
Interesting, as my checked luggage was weighed in Albuquerque and San Diego.

They always weigh my checked,,, and sure enough its between 40-45 ,,, way under the limit,,,, but that's why it is checked

The 'rules' for baggage didn't change.

The change was the addition of a $20 excess baggage fee if you have more than what has pretty much always been allowed.

So in a word - no - I've never needed to take excess baggage with me on the train.

Amtrak still allows 2 carry-on bags (up to 50 lbs and 28" x 22" x 14" each), and 2 personal bags (25 lbs. and 14" x 11" x 7" each).
A laptop bag and a backpack would constitute 2 personal bags if you have 2 other carry-on bags.

If you have 2 carry-on bags a laptop bag withing the allowed limits for a personal bag, but your backpack is larger or heavier than that allowed for a personal bag, be prepared to cough up a $20 bill to cover the Excess Baggage charge.

I travel with a suitcase, a backpack, a laptop/GPS unit bag and a 14" x 11" x 7" camera bag.
The suitcase and backpack are my 2 carry-on bags, while my laptop/GPS unit and camera bags are my 2 personal bags.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back