New Auto Train Sleeping Car Menu Posted

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When we ride the AT, we get there around 11:30 or noon, and park, rather than checking our car in. We verify our room assignments are in order and snag our preferred dining time. Then we head off to someplace for lunch, then head back around 2 to board. We generally eat at 7 and take our own wine and cheese reception aboard since that ended. We even bring our own mix of Cheetos and corn chips called “festive mix” since that used to be free.

That’s what we did as well, except didn't feel the need for snacks too. Lunch in Sanford was a real treat and don’t understand why food trucks are necessary. And a McD was nearby for those on a tight budget. The best use of food trucks would be for breakfast after arrival as the continental breakfast was forgettable and you have time while waiting for your car.

The best use of food trucks would be for breakfast after arrival as the continental breakfast was forgettable and you have time while waiting for your car.

Yes, I agree. The one problem would be if one's car would be quickly unloaded. If not quickly claimed, it would block the cars unloaded after yours. For no knowledge on my part, there were a few cars whose number were called repeatedly before their owners claimed them. The cars' numbers are not called in numerical order. My car's number was 59 and it was called 35 minutes after I left the train. Many other higher numbers were called before mine. If one is outside the station, patronizing a food truck at that time and now aware of the car numbers being announced, that would/could be a problem.

The dinner menu shown at the start of this thread was what I was offered on my 1/28/20 Northbound Auto Train trip. I ordered the steak and it was very good and well prepared. The Baked Potato was larger than I expected and was good as well. The salad was quite amble in size and the veggies were fresh.

Not expecting a complimentary glass of wine, I purchased in the Lounge Car a second bottle of wine before dinner. The Lounge Car attendant informed me with about the glass of wine before completing the sale, but, I went ahead and bought the bottle knowing that I would want more once dinner was over for a night cap. I took the bottle into the Diner with me and enjoyed more with my dinner. The white wine offered was decent.

Breakfast in the morning was what has been described earlier in this thread. The Bagels were in a bread basket, wrapped in a napkin, and were served warm. 4 types of cereal were available along with the crumb cakes which were wrapped in a cellophane wrapper that nearly required an NFL player to get the wrapper open. Breakfast is available from 6:00 to 8:00 A. M. Even if the train is running late--as mine was--the time is fixed. I wonder what would happen if the train is running very early and arrives before the last call for breakfast. In response to my question about how lone passengers could stay aboard after arrival in Lorton, Holly said they want us off within 5-10 minutes after final arrival at the station.

Coach passengers did have the CCC available as well as their Lounge Car.

The only complaint about food availability was while waiting in the Sanford station. There was only one food truck outside the station and what food was available was not to the liking of the person whom I overheard. There are some bagged snacks available in the shop within the station.

A caution about when one might have dinner: Dinner is by seatings. Northbound in January, there is a light train load. Only one seating was available: 6:00 P. M. When the train has more passengers, there may be one or two additional seatings.

There is a shuttle you can take to downtown Sanford while waiting where there are some good choices. I do this on every trip.

The dinner menu shown at the start of this thread was what I was offered on my 1/28/20 Northbound Auto Train trip. I ordered the steak and it was very good and well prepared. The Baked Potato was larger than I expected and was good as well. The salad was quite amble in size and the veggies were fresh.

Not expecting a complimentary glass of wine, I purchased in the Lounge Car a second bottle of wine before dinner. The Lounge Car attendant informed me with about the glass of wine before completing the sale, but, I went ahead and bought the bottle knowing that I would want more once dinner was over for a night cap. I took the bottle into the Diner with me and enjoyed more with my dinner. The white wine offered was decent.

Breakfast in the morning was what has been described earlier in this thread. The Bagels were in a bread basket, wrapped in a napkin, and were served warm. 4 types of cereal were available along with the crumb cakes which were wrapped in a cellophane wrapper that nearly required an NFL player to get the wrapper open. Breakfast is available from 6:00 to 8:00 A. M. Even if the train is running late--as mine was--the time is fixed. I wonder what would happen if the train is running very early and arrives before the last call for breakfast. In response to my question about how lone passengers could stay aboard after arrival in Lorton, Holly said they want us off within 5-10 minutes after final arrival at the station.

The only complaint about food availability was while waiting in the Sanford station. There was only one food truck outside the station and what food was available was not to the liking of the person whom I overheard. There are some bagged snacks available in the shop within the station.

A caution about when one might have dinner: Dinner is by seatings. Northbound in January, there is a light train load. Only one seating was available: 6:00 P. M. When the train has more passengers, there may be one or two additional seatings.
When the train is running early, the last call for breakfast is made earlier...

I wonder how difficult it would be for them to offer something like a heat/eat Jimmy Dean breakfast sandwich. I don't think that offering a bagel, cold cereal or a highly processed crumb cake constitutes breakfast. But hey, I'm only paying a grand or more one way, so why should I expect much more than that!

I wonder how difficult it would be for them to offer something like a heat/eat Jimmy Dean breakfast sandwich. I don't think that offering a bagel, cold cereal or a highly processed crumb cake constitutes breakfast. But hey, I'm only paying a grand or more one way, so why should I expect much more than that!

They offer Jimmy Deans in the sleeper lounge car. (Not free) not sure what the situation is now for coach.

Last edited:

Does coach still have some food in the lounge car or is all food served in the CCC car now? On my previous trips when everyone still got dinner the lounge cars included a stripped down cafe menu with a few basic choices (not the full national cafe car menu that the CCC has now.)

Thanks for the update, Dakota400
On the Breakfast topic; Does everyone have to be out of the dining car by 8:00, or is 8:00 the latest you can be served breakfast (for sleeper passengers) ??
ET:)

Thanks for the update, Dakota400
On the Breakfast topic; Does everyone have to be out of the dining car by 8:00, or is 8:00 the latest you can be served breakfast (for sleeper passengers) ??
ET:)

My SCA was quite clear that no one would be seated after 8:00. If the train arrived at its destination during that 6:00-8:00 time period when breakfast is available, departure from the train within 5-10 minutes after arrival was the priority, not serving breakfast. (At least, that is what I understood.)

There appeared to be only one SA on duty in the diner for breakfast when I arrived in the diner (about 6:30 A. M.). The tables had been pre-set for breakfast after the diner closed for dinner. All that was needed was a container for Orange Juice. There may not be the personnel for even a heat/eat breakfast item in the Diner, although the Lounge Car's attendant could fix that for those who don't want to eat in the Diner. Another SA did come on duty around 7:00 and offered more coffee for anyone who wanted another cup.

Back