New Amtrak Guest Rewards Master Card - Fall 2015

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm sorry, jis, I wasn't clear. I meant would the replacement card that Chase sends have the same number, not the new AGR card.
I suspect it would, but one can never tell for sure until it happens. you could ask them. When Continental changed from Amex to Chase, Amex did not change my card number. Of course since then it has changed twice due to fraud related replacement.
I got the letter today; your new card "will come with a new account count number, expiration date and security code."

If they're sending them out alphabetically, I'll get my letter, maybe, around the end of the week. :(

BOA isn't coming forward with any information. We don't know if everyone will automatically receive the card. We don't know if there is an annual fee. We know nothing about the interest rate the will charge. We don't know if our credit limit will remain as it was with Chase.

BOA has a less than stellar reputation for fair treatment of their customers. BTW, weren't they one of the bailout recipients who paid mega money bonuses to their execs?

Not a fan as someone close to me got caught up in their practices.

Will we automatically receive the BOA Card or do we have to go thru the applying process?
TBD, but almost certainly if there's an Annual Fee attached?!!

You'd think we would get more lead time right? Rushed financial decisions always favor the Banks and the Money Changers!
Jim it's 4-1/2 weeks before the 30th. As someone stated above, your AGR card will be good to use until your new card arrives. And I imagine we'll hear from the new card provider very soon which should also give you plenty of time to make the switch. Chill out.

Betty: I already have a Chase Freedom Card! Why would I want another one? They're not a good travel Card!

And now I've seen everything! The good guys are the Giant Banks and the Credit Card Octupusses! ( to be fair, this includes Chase!)

Too Big to Fail! Uncle Sugar Bail us Out Pretty Please! (so we can do it again!!). YMMV

Last edited by a moderator:
Now I've seen everything! Folks actually defending the Giant Banks and the Credit Card Octupusses! ( to be fair, it includes Chase!)

Too Big to Fail! Uncle Sugar Bail us Out so we can do it again!! YMMV
Really!?! That's how you read my post? *smh*

Now I've seen everything! Folks actually defending the Giant Banks and the Credit Card Octupusses! ( to be fair, it includes Chase!)

Read my edited post, I wasn't referring to you, I'm agreeing with the other Betty about the BOA!!!

My apology to you, I know you live in Delaware where they are considered good guys!

Betty: I already have a Chase Freedom Card! Why would I want another one? They're not a good travel Card!

And now I've seen everything! The good guys are the Giant Banks and the Credit Card Octupusses! ( to be fair, this includes Chase!)

Too Big to Fail! Uncle Sugar Bail us Out Pretty Please! (so we can do it again!!). YMMV
When my AGR card no longer accumulates AGR points, I will likely apply for a SWA card for travel. SWA has many destinations/departures daily from my area. Rewards will be far more useful/valuable to me.

Read my edited post, I wasn't referring to you, I'm agreeing with the other Betty about the BOA!!!

My apology to you, I know you live in Delaware where they are considered good guys!
Where I live has nothing to do with my opinions of banks or other things (like certain politicians). Please don't assume what I think based on where I live.

As far as I know Chase AGR customers will NOT be automatically sent nor given the BOA card. They will have to apply for it separately.

Which is rather annoying to someone like me who has only been an AGR member since February and only gotten my Chase card in March. :(

I don't want an orphan Chase card and I already have more relationships than I'd like with the outfit formerly known as North Carolina National Bank. The boys from Charlotte took over the 2% cash rewards I had with Charles Schwab, which was the last card I had applied for before the Chase Amtrak card.

As far as I know Chase AGR customers will NOT be automatically sent nor given the BOA card. They will have to apply for it separately.
With 2 different cards available, that is the only logical answer.
And I would imagine we'll get an application in the mail targeted towards AGR members.
OOPS! I automatically shred any obvious credit card offers without opening them. Now I'll have to BOLO for awhile(yes, yes, I know I've been watching too much TV lately)

With 2 different cards available, that is the only logical answer.
And I would imagine we'll get an application in the mail targeted towards AGR members.
OOPS! I automatically shred any obvious credit card offers without opening them. Now I'll have to BOLO for awhile(yes, yes, I know I've been watching too much TV lately)
Same here on the shredding. Hopefully it will be in an obvious envelope with Amtrak livery on it. But if there is any kind of fee attached to it, it goes straight to the shred!

How does the credit card change affect one's credit rating? I have heard that closing a credit card is detrimental. Would that be a reason to keep the Freedom card? Would it be better to cancel the Chase AGR card before the end of this month rather than cancel the Freedom card after it is issued?

Please shed some light on how this change in the bank that issues the AGR card could affect an individual's credit rating. Thanks.

Getting the new card will be a new inquiry on your credit reports which will lower your score at least somewhat. Though it may lower your utilization percentage due to more available credit, which would raise your score. Closing your Freedom card may lower your score by raising your utilization percentage and number of active accounts. How much of a hit your score takes and how important that is depends on your other life choices. Closing the account now vs next month probably won't make a large difference. FICO scores are complex there are online tools that can model for you what closing the Chase AGR would do to your score given some inputs from you about your credit.

The impact of a single closure and new card is likely to be exceedingly minimal.
It's not the number of cards you're closing so much as the relative decrease in your available total credit vs. your remaining balances (if any). If the card you're closing represents a substantial percentage of your total available credit and the new card comes with a much smaller credit line then the change is likely to sting hard and for an extended period of time. Then again this advice mainly refers to the FICO score while these days your credit rating is based on an opaque mishmash of competing theories and scoring patterns that are even harder to discern let alone protect and correct.

Back