New Amtrak Auto Train Book in print

Discussion in 'Guest Forum for Amtrak Questions' started by Jim Musgrove, May 7, 2019.

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

1. May 7, 2019 #1
    The Richmond, Fredericksburg & Potomac RR Historical Society has published a new book about Amtrak's Auto Train written by Doug Riddell. It can be purchased via their Company Store at www.rfandp.org.

2. May 7, 2019 #2

fixj

fixj

fixj

Service Attendant

I have a book by Doug Riddell called Auto Train published in 2016. Is this the same book?

3. May 7, 2019 #3
    No, that was the book on just the original auto train. This book features the transition between the auto train and Amtrak's Auto Train. Lots of good info about how Amtrak went about it. Almost 200 pages of text and photos. This is Doug's second book for the RF&P RR HS.

fixj and Bob Dylan like this.
  4. May 15, 2019 #4
    Did you know that in 1974, Amtrak planned to thwart Auto Train Corporation’s dreams of tapping the lucrative Midwest-Florida travel market by launching its own competitive service—AutoTrak, between Indianapolis, IN and Poinciana, FL? Were you aware that it was once necessary to secretly get Amtrak President, W. Graham Claytor, Jr., aboard the Silver Meteor at a road crossing near Jacksonville, FL, for fear that nearby local officials would find him, arrest and jail the famed railroad executive? It’s true.

“Amtrak’s Auto Train, the second book I’ve dreamed of writing, that has been made possible by through the backing of the RF&P Railroad Historical Society, is not your typical history book. Oh, this 192-page volume contains hundreds of color, as well as black and white images, from renown rail photographers, but we’ve also included snapshots taken by myself and Amtrak Auto Train employees, that provides a behind-the-scene look at the railroad’s “flagship,” from the ashes of the original Eugene Garfield Auto Train Corporation, through today’s Superliner-equipped, General Electric P40-powered Virginia-Florida auto ferry service. Along the way the book explores triumph to tragedy—the success Graham Claytor firmly believed would result by resurrecting the original red, white, and purple auto-train, to the deadly April 18, 2002 derailment near Crescent City, FL.

5. May 15, 2019 #5

Seaboard92

Seaboard92

Seaboard92

Conductor

Another fun fact the book is written by one of the trains former engineers. And his son still is it’s engineer.

6. May 15, 2019 #6

Dakota 400

D

Dakota 400

Conductor

Since I will be taking the Auto Train in 2020, I am considering purchasing the book. But, $60 + $7 for shipping is a bit steep for a book.

7. May 26, 2019 at 6:30 PM #7

8. May 26, 2019 at 6:33 PM #8
    Considering that there have only been 3 other books about both of the auto train systems, I don't think that this material has been covered enough. Doug has done an excellent job on this book and put a lot of effort in contacting people who worked on the train. This book is a great companion to the first auto-train book he wrote. RF&P RR HS members get a $10 discount. If you should want to join the Society, you can find an application at www.rfandp.org.