Needles, CA

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
L

Late Shore

Hi, I'm new to this and just wondering about the whole "consist" thing of the SW Chief out of Chicago. Does anyone know if they have 2 or 4 sleepers on that train and are they in any numerical order (i.e. #0330, #0331, #0332), from the front end to the rear end? The reason I'm asking is because I am planning on taking the SW Chief very soon and heard from a good source, that choosing a bedroom, in the middle of your sleeping car, that is in the middle of your train, only can help you get a better nights rest. Fortuneately, I'll have a deluxe bedroom. Which is the best deluxe bedroom to choose if given the opportunity? Or does it really matter?

The other question is does anyone know if the station at Needles, CA is well lit or safe at 1:30A.M. when the train arrives there? I'll be catching the thruway van or bus or whatever it is, north, so I won't be there for long but I would like to know. :huh: ;) :( :unsure: :blink: :ph34r:

The consist will usually go like this:

3-4 P-42 Locomotives

Baggage

Transition Sleeper (Crew Car)

Sleeping Car #03**

Sleeping Car #03**

Sleeping Car #03**

Dining Car

Sightseer Lounge

Coach w/ Lower Level Smoking Lounge

Coach

Coach

Coach

(sometimes a sleeper will be placed on the end of the train)

Mail and Express

There really is no numerical order for the cars so the numbers can be out of place. Bedroom E is right in the center of the car, but since all Deluxe Bedrooms are on the upper level there is no rough riding (just avoid bedroom A though). Hope that helps. :) Sorry I can't help you with your station question.

Late Shore,

Personally I'd pick the B, C, or D bedrooms. The reason for this is that the A room is right at the end of the car near the door. Due to this the corner of the hallway cuts the room size down a bit, plus you can sometimes hear track noise through the door. I would also avoid the E room, since the stairway is right up against the back wall of the room. So as people go up and down the stairs, they sometimes bang into the wall. There is also more traffic in this area due to the stairs and the refreshment area.

Usually, although not always, the cars run with the lowest number first followed by each sequentially higher number.

On the Capitol Limited I was in 2900 closest to the Dining Car. 2910 was the next car forward. If I remember correctly from my Silver Metero trip I was in car 9810 also closest to the Dining Car. Then followed by 9800 and 9811 forward of my car. These are just 2 of my expreiences so I don't know if it varies or not??

On my experience on the Silver Service Trains the 9110/9210/9710/9810 car is closest to the dining car and then its followed by 9(1/2/7/8)11 car and on certain trains (with 3 sleepers) there is a 9(1/2/7/8)12 car followed by the Dorm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back