Need Advised

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a family emergency and need to travel to florida at least by 10/4/02. Does anyone have any advise. I would like a comfortable seating arrangement. I am traveling alone, (female) Are trains on time.

First off welcome to our discussion group MAponte. Second this discussion board is in no way affiliated with Amtrak. You can access Amtrak’s website here.

To answer your questions you can either travel in Coach or First Class Sleeping Car. Coach offers wide reclining seating with lots of legroom, footrest, leg rest, tray table, reading light, and restrooms at one end of the car. Meals are not included in the price of the ticket, but are available in the Dining Car from around $5-20. Or in the Lounge you have the option of purchasing snacks, drinks, and microwaved meals from around $2-5.

If you prefer a more private accommodation I would suggest First Class Sleeping Car service. You have the option of a Standard Room or a Deluxe Room. A Standard room has two seats that face each other with a tray table in the middle, space to store luggage, toilet, washbasin, and when you’re ready to go to bed your attendant will make up the beds (a community shower is at the end of car). A Deluxe Room is quite a bit larger with a long sofa seat, armchair, enclosed toilet/shower, vanity, and in the evening the attendant will make the beds. Another few items to mention is sleeper service is in a Viewliner car, which are about 6 years old, have to sets of windows, and in room audio/video entertainment. Also if you feel you need to be by yourself the attendant can bring meals to your room.

On time can vary a lot. It’s hard to say because you can be anywhere from on time to 2-3 hours late. It’s definitely a toss up. Hope this helps. I’m sure others will add to this and don’t hesitate to ask any more questions. :)

Well any Amtrak seat is generally more comfortable, reclines further, and has more legroom than any airline seat. You also have the luxury of getting up to stretch your legs. If money is not a consideration, then I would certainly recommend trying to get a sleeper. This gives you your own private compartment with two chairs and a bed. It also includes all meals in the dining car for free.

As for trains being on time, sadly they are not always on time. Since Amtrak is at the mercy of the freight railroads that own the tracks, trains are frequently late. As an average on Amtrak's Silver Service trains, NY to Florida and points in between, I would say that you should expect to be at least 1 hour late. Probably about 50% of the time the Silver Service trains do run on time.

From where are you traveling? Is that mentioned? I can't find it unless I am overlooking it...we need to be sure if there are trains TO Florida from wherever you will be traveling......my apologies, in advance if I am overlooking something here...

I would reccomend the first class accomodations if you can afford them, the trains offered depending where your departure is from is the

Silver Meteor (fastest route by 3 hours approx) Leaves New York at 7:05 New York-Newark-Philadelphia-Wilmington-Baltimore-Washington-Charleston-Jacksonville-Orlando-Miami. Less prone to delays related to mail and express shipping.

The Silver Star (Takes 3 Hours Longer than Meteor) Train leaves 11:30 a.m. from New York New York-Newark-Philadelphia-Wilmington-Baltimore-Washington-Raleigh-Jacksonville-Orlando-Miami.

The Palmetto Leaves 7:45 a.m. from New York. New York-Newark-Philadelphia-Wilmington-Baltimore-Washington-Charleston-Jacksonville-Tampa-Miami. Note NO SLEEPERS on this train, there is business class, for a slightly higher price than Coach on this train ONLY, offering free drinks, and snacks, (I believe). NO DINING CAR on this train.

In my experience The Silver Meteor can be late leaving New York, but is most likely to get you there in the shortest time.

I'll be happy to answer more questions, I hope this helps. :)

Here are all the Stops, all trains make unless otherwise noted

New York, NY

Newark, NJ

Trenton, NJ

Philadelphia, PA (All stop, but Silver Star and Palmetto Change Locomotives here and briefly lose power)

Wilmington, DE

Baltimore, MD

Washington D.C. (All stop, but Silver Meteor Change Locomotives here and briefly lose power)

Alexandria, VA (Silver Star and Palmetto ONLY)

Richmond, VA

Petersburg, VA

Rocky Mount, NC

Wilson, NC (Palmetto)

Raleigh, NC (Silver Star)

Fayetteville, NC (Silver Meteor and Palmetto)

Dillon, SC (Palmetto)

Florence, SC (Silver Meteor and Palmetto)

Kingstree, SC (Silver Meteor and Palmetto)

Charleston, SC (Silver Meteor and Palmetto)

Yemassee, SC (Silver Meteor)

Southern Pines, NC [Pinehurst] (Silver Star)

Hamlet, NC (Silver Star)

Camden, SC (Silver Star)

Columbia, SC (Silver Star)

Denmark, SC (Silver Star)

Savannah, GA

Jesup, GA (Silver Meteor)

Jacksonville, FL

Palatka, FL (Silver Meteor and Silver Star)

DeLand, FL (Silver Meteor and Silver Star)

Sanford, FL (Silver Meteor and Silver Star)

Winter Park, FL (Silver Meteor and Silver Star)

Orlando, FL (Silver Meteor and Silver Star)

Kissimmee, FL (Silver Meteor and Silver Star)

Waldo, FL [Gainesville] (Palmetto)

Ocala, FL [silver Springs] (Palmetto)

Wildwood, FL (Palmetto)

Dade City, FL [Zephyrhills] (Palmetto)

Tampa, FL (Palmetto)

Lakeland, FL (Palmetto)

Winter Haven [Cypress Gardens]

Sebring, FL

Okeechobee, FL (Silver Meteor and Palmetto)

West Palm Beach, FL

Delray Beach, FL [Tri-Rail Station]

Deerfield Beach, FL [boca Raton]

Fort Lauderdale, FL

Hollywood, FL

Miami, FL

Hope this helps. :)

:unsure: The Viewliner cars are only 6 years old! I thought they were about 10-12? :unsure: :unsure: :blink:

We still don't know where you are actually traveling...where will you be boarding.. and..to what city in FLorida are you trraveling? Some folks have given you a Northeast route listing...hope that fits in with where you are going...if not...please say so so we can advise with other routes, schedules, etc. You can see from info you have been given that Amtrak covers Florida pretty well...does it go whereyou are going, however? Let us know.

Depends on where you are, family emergencies would require air travel if I were you.

Trains typically do not run on time, I was on the Sunset Limited in August from LA to Fla, never on time.

You would be ok by yourself, it's safe on a train. You are a community in your car and get to know others.

The Prototype Viewliners (2300, 2301 [62091 "Eastern View"], and Diner 8400 are 14, in fact on Saturday October 5, 2002 Viewliner 2300 turns 15. It debuted on October 7-10 1987 in Houston, TX at the American Society of Travel Agents Convention, and made its First Overnight run with Passengers on October 29, 1987 on the Capitol Limited.

So happy birthday in Advance to Viewliner 2300 wherever you are (Bear, Delaware in storage?).

The Production Viewliners 62000-62049 were built between 1995-1996.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back