Missed Southwest Chief/Surfliner Connection with AGR Ticket

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

printman2000

Engineer
I am becoming less convinced that the Southwest Chief will arrive in time for our Surfliner 768 train to San Diego (in business class). If this turns out to be true, how should I handle getting re-ticketed to a later Surfliner?

Should I just wait until I get to Los Angeles and let the ticket counter handle it? Or will I get "This is AGR and I cannot touch that" response?

Should I call AGR from the train and get them to change it? Thought I remembered reading recently someone had a problem doing this, cannot remember though.Maybe nothing could be done until the actual connection was already missed?

Thoughts?

Last year I misconnected with coast starlight on agr ticket. I was emailed a new set of tickets as we passed over cajon pass. I was routed down the valley to catch up with the cs at Martinez.

Last year I misconnected with coast starlight on agr ticket. I was emailed a new set of tickets as we passed over cajon pass. I was routed down the valley to catch up with the cs at Martinez.
I have had the "reroute" myself!

Are you saying they sent it to you automatically? Or you called and then they sent it to you?

This has happened to me SEVERAL times, on several different trains (all AGR redemptions). They will automatically re-book you as soon as it is clear you are going to miss your connection. They will email you the tickets for the new connection (last time, I had to borrow someone's smartphone on a very late EB to check my email and see what they had booked me for out of CHI). You only need to call AGR if you DON'T like the connection they gave you.

In my case, they had slated me for a hotel the next day in CHI, and an evening Lincoln Service to Springfield. Since I had a roomette on the EB (till 4am, anyway), I felt that the hotel was completely unnecessary, and I wanted out on the earliest morning Lincoln. They were able to make the change at AGR before they closed for the night, and by morning they were even able to accommodate us in Business Class. But yes, since I wanted a change, that had to be done through AGR. There was absolutely no penalty, as the necessity for re-booking was due to a late train.

The Surfliner is a unreserved train! Unlike most other trains, your ticket for "train A" can be used on "train B" if in coach. (BC is reserved.)

Unless you really want to go BC, there is no need to change your tickets.

Also, don't forget that you can also connect at Fullerton and save extra time doing FUL-LAX-FUL!

Well, paid for business class so really want to go business class. I did know about the Fullerton possibility. Was hoping to spend a bit of time in the met lounge though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back