Misleading YouTube video (Tips for Sleeping on an Amtrak Train)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScouseAndy

Lead Service Attendant
So this video popped up on my news feed this morning. It appears to be a newish official video. It offers tips on getting the nose out of coach class reclining seats according to the opening gambit. Then goes on to show lay flat (couchette?) beds. Power banks, private bedrooms, pristine white bedrooms and private compartments. Anyone esle find this misleading considering none of these images involve reclining chairs?

Tips for Sleeping on an Amtrak Train:

All the sleeping shots are of a Deluxe Bedroom on a Sleeper.

The title of the videos could be correct. The close caption part is wildly inaccurate. (Too early to recall the correct name.)

Not a video of reclining coach seats, not a video of cafe food.

Time to report it to the host as fraudulent.

Last edited:
It looks like they used stock imagery of hotel rooms and the bedrooms. So slightly misleading.

That's pretty bad. The "food from the cafe" shows Contemporary Dining.

I find it hard to believe that people are so clueless that they would actually learn anything from that.

Last edited:
So, if you followed this to the letter, you would book a coach seat but somehow luckily end up in a roomette or bedroom, bring your own blanket but use the Amtrak one, detrain somewhere along the way to pick up a pillow or two from a fancy hotel, board again just in time to use an Amtrak bathroom with a really fancy mirror that is bigger than the hallway, and go to the dining car to be told that, even though they put you in a sleeper, your ticket says coach so go away.:confused::eek::rolleyes:

I watched it a couple of times and see nothing misleading about it. The reclining chairs are all in various sleepers and (IMHO) only somebody just landing here from one of Jupiter's moons could think any of this applied to any Coach seat.

Why not pick something meaningful to **** & moan about?

I watched it a couple of times and see nothing misleading about it. The reclining chairs are all in various sleepers and (IMHO) only somebody just landing here from one of Jupiter's moons could think any of this applied to any Coach seat.

Hmm, I don’t think we need to bring our own blanket if we’re in a room. And I believe there were some other things mentioned that would be specific to riding in coach.

That's pretty bad. The "food from the cafe" shows Contemporary Dining.

I find it hard to believe that people are so clueless that they would actually learn anything from that

If you've never riden Amtrak before and search amtrak on youtube then you actually might believe this is what they mean by reclining chair

If you had never ridden Amtrak before and used this video to learn about what you needed to take with you and what to expect then its bloody misleading especially if you have read elsewhere that blankets and pillows are provided in Sleeper classes but not in coach. The video clearly makes reference to bringing your own blanket and pillows and then proceeds to show amtrak sleeper compartments, unless Amtrak are now saying sleeper passengers need to bring their own bedding as well as coach passengers?

If you've never riden Amtrak before and search amtrak on youtube then you actually might believe this is what they mean by reclining chair

If you had never ridden Amtrak before and used this video to learn about what you needed to take with you and what to expect then its bloody misleading especially if you have read elsewhere that blankets and pillows are provided in Sleeper classes but not in coach. The video clearly makes reference to bringing your own blanket and pillows and then proceeds to show amtrak sleeper compartments, unless Amtrak are now saying sleeper passengers need to bring their own bedding as well as coach passengers?
That's called "Flex Sleeping" in Amtrak parlance. All the millennials want it. Don't you listen to Anderson's talks? :)

The above is not meant as any kind of insult to President Anderson. I happen to agree with him and slavishly believe everything he says.

Back