Michigan Central and the rebirth of Detroit...

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I enjoyed reading that article although there were some sad points like train service ending in 1988. The political establishment gave license to hand over Detroit's once mighty industrial base to the foreigners and that was a terrible thing to do. Detroit is now a poor town but and few but Ford seem to care. Perhaps if train service is restored to Michigan Central it would give the city a little boost.

It's pretty impressive what they're trying to do there. I never thought anybody would step forward and attempt something like this. So very good news despite all the sad aspects the article touches.

Interesting article with great photos, but the idea that passenger service faded away and was abandoned is rubbish. Amtrak's Michigan service flourished in the 1970's and 1980's with the introduction of TurboLiner and Amfleet equipment and additional train frequencies. Amtrak and the city of Detroit invested millions in the Michigan Central Depot, reopening the grand waiting room and making numerous other improvements. But eventually, with Conrail moving out of their offices in the tower, the building simply became too expensive for Amtrak to maintain. So a new Detroit station was built uptown near the New Center, a route which allowed train service to be extended to Pontiac. I doubt Amtrak would give that up in order to move back to MC Depot.

Rich Tower
Amtrak Detroit District Superintendent 1975-1978

Back