Miami Intermodal Center (f/k/a Miami Central Station)

Discussion in 'Amtrak Rail Discussion' started by Ispolkom, Sep 11, 2013.

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

1. Aug 25, 2015 #126

John Bobinyec

John Bobinyec

John Bobinyec

Conductor

Don't think that'll work for someone using a walker or who is unsteady on their feet. In such a situation, the train would end up making two stops.

jb

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 25, 2015
  2. Aug 25, 2015 #127

jis

jis

jis

Conductor AU Lifetime Supporter Gathering Team Member

Are you proposing that the front of the train would proceed to crash through the bumper block to bring the rear cars to align with the platform? :blink:

3. Aug 25, 2015 #128

VentureForth

VentureForth

VentureForth

Conductor

I've been saying that Tri Rail doesn't need stops just a couple blocks apart in every city froM WPB to Miami, but NO! Must have Tri Rail on the FEC. Don't know what that gains Tri Rail.

4. Aug 25, 2015 #129

John Bobinyec

John Bobinyec

John Bobinyec

Conductor

No. Sorry. Didn't realize there was no head room at all.

jb

5. Aug 25, 2015 #130

west point

w

west point

Conductor

Have thought of the wye as well.

1. it would seem doable with not too much curvature

2. Backing or forward onto the wye tail requires going west that will require blocking LaJune road and the airport exit off the east west expressway . They are blocked now by the occasional CSX local train to proceeds on the tail to the Homestead branch and interconnection with the FEC yard.. A wye east not possible.

3. Going under the tracks at 25th would require digging at least 12 feet under the Miami river water table. There is also a salt water intrusion prevention dam just west of the Tri Rail tracks. This is one of many dams around the everglades that raises river about 3 - 4 feet to protect the everglades water level Those tracks cross the river over a bascule draw very infrequently raised.

6. Aug 25, 2015 #131

jis

jis

jis

You're correct. That is what will happen. Amtrak will continue to use the MIC Airport Station.

AAF would not have the capacity to actually handle an LD train in their station anyway.

Yeah I pretty much figured that going under was a no go, and of course completely missed the fact that the Metro is actually elevated there, so going over is a no go too. What a mess!

7. Aug 25, 2015 #132

niemi24s

n

niemi24s

Conductor

I figured the water table would be the main problem. Somebody once told me there no such thing as a house in FL with a basement - but that's probably an exaggeration.

8. Aug 25, 2015 #133

jis

jis

jis

Specially in Miami the water table is now slowly trending to become above ground level :)

9. Aug 25, 2015 #134

Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan

Conductor

What about around Orlando and Central Florida where you Jersey ex-pats and Penny hang your hats?

Has all the Growth and MickeyWorld and Sea World used up all the water or is it swampy like it used to be?

I remember when Cypress Gardens and Alligator Shows were the HOT Tickets in Florida!! LOL

10. Aug 25, 2015 #135

xyzzy

x

xyzzy

Conductor

Yeah, in the days of "old Florida" before Mickey there wasn't much in the vicinity of Orlando except swamp and farms. I'm still amazed that Disney was able to buy all that land without any leak until the last minute, just before the final deal closed. One of the great stories in business development.

11. Aug 26, 2015 #136

jis

jis

jis

Central Florida is at a somewhat higher altitude in a Florida manner of speaking :) compared to Miami. Just look at the USGS flood maps to see what I mean. Actually the area between the St. johns basin and Indian River is not really all that swampy. It is relatively higher hammocks area.

Orlando is a very different type of area geologically speaking than most of coastal Brevard.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 26, 2015
  12. Aug 26, 2015 #137

west point

w

west point

Conductor

As far as basements in south Florida only if your home is already on stilts or on a built up ground.

13. Aug 26, 2015 #138

cirdan

cirdan

cirdan

Conductor

Isn't the present state of wisdom that there will be two tracks for TriRail and two for AAF, leaving a fifth track "spare".
    I'm not suggesting Amtrak use this but maybe FEC were thinking the occasional charter or something like that?

14. Aug 26, 2015 #139

VentureForth

VentureForth

VentureForth

Conductor

For what it's worth, if you've ever heard about the tunnels at Walt Disney World, the fact of the matter is that the Magic Kingdom was built UP from ground level for the very reason of a shallow water table. The tunnels were built on ground level, and was backfilled with dirt excavated from what is now the Seven Seas Lagoon which lies between the park and the parking lot.

15. Aug 26, 2015 #140

jis

jis

jis

I don't know what the state of wisdom is, but AAF has stated in a presentation that currently they are installing 3 platform tracks for their own use, and making provision for two additional platform tracks which will be put in when Tri-Rail comes around to do so. There is absolutely no mention of Amtrak and AmtrakKL is absolutely right in his/her contention that Amtrak would be unable to justify the expense of operating at two sets of stations south of WPB. Amtrak will use MIC Airport Station irrespective of which route it takes from JAX to WPB. They just might happen to operate 4 trains a day out of there instead of two.

16. Aug 26, 2015 #141

cirdan

cirdan

cirdan

Conductor

I've heard something similar about Universal Studios, only that there they didn't even even fill it up with soil but everything is on pillars with the spaec underneath used for service pipes, cables etc. I guess this makes it easier to fix stuff or make changes than if it were all buried.

17. Aug 26, 2015 #142

west point

w

west point

Conductor

This poster agrees that Amtrak would want to join the TriRail tracks just north of West Palm Beach. The connecting track is interesting. Although have not seen it in years it must be excepted track with a 10 MPH speed board. At that time al rail and ties would have to be replaced.. Most grade crossing have no automatic gate protection. The line runs by a cemetery that contains the remains of many persons that perished in the hurricane that destroyed the Key West FEC route.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 26, 2015
  18. Apr 5, 2016 #143

chrsjrcj

c

chrsjrcj

OBS Chief

Fwiw, I was at the Miami Airport station today and noticed construction work on a new road for the bypass. The grade crossing had already been installed. I don't think it's unrealistic for Amtrak to move in before the end of the year.

19. Apr 7, 2016 #144

AmtrakLKL

A

AmtrakLKL

Lead Service Attendant

There are other factor$ beyond the road crossing holding Amtrak up at this point...

20. Apr 7, 2016 #145

jis

jis

jis

I had a conversation with a gentleman in the know in Jacksonville at the end of the Gulf test special, and he re-iterated that it will be a long time before Amtrak moves to MIC. There is a lot that needs to change before that will happen, not just the bypass road.

21. Apr 7, 2016 #146

Palmetto

Palmetto

Palmetto

Conductor

How about specifics? Possible?

22. Apr 7, 2016 #147

jis

jis

jis

Nothing beyond what I have posted from me. My lips are sealed. :(

23. Apr 7, 2016 #148

M&O

M

M&O

I think one leg of the wye has been removed (not to say it could not be reinstalled - may be a Metrorail pier in the old alignment). More cost for Amtrak but movement back and forth to Hialeah facility for service will probably resemble the old Seaboard days to the 7th Avenue station: a switch engine to haul it back and forth (too many crossings (8) and too far (4 miles) for a shove move?) (The Star does shove move in Tampa twice a day of over 2 miles and more than a dozen two-lane, gated street crossings - conductor stands in vestibule of last car (Star always backs in) with his radio in hand)

24. Apr 7, 2016 #149

neroden

n

neroden

Conductor

Someone needs their head pulled out of their ass, I assume?
    Because there should be precisely zero technical obstacles to moving Amtrak into the platforms shared with Tri-Rail. (If it's an Amtrak-only platform... they need to raise it for ADA reasons, but they can probably get a temporary waiver because the current Miami Amtrak station isn't compliant either.)

If there are any further obstacles, they must be obstacles in the form of obstructionist people who need to lose their jobs.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 7, 2016
  25. Apr 7, 2016 #150

jis

jis

jis

Suffice it to say that throwing a hissy fit here is unlikely to make any difference to the net outcome on this ;)