Medical emergency procedures

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

the_traveler

Engineer
I am now on a train (location classified information on a need to know basis only
ph34r.gif
) that just had a medical emergency on board. For those interested, we met the EMTs at a grade crossing on a dirt road in the middle of nowhere!

That is one of many advantages of train travel over planes. You do not have to land at an airport 100 minutes away!

I am now on a train (location classified information on a need to know basis only
ph34r.gif
) that just had a medical emergency on board. For those interested, we met the EMTs at a grade crossing on a dirt road in the middle of nowhere!

That is one of many advantages of train travel over planes. You do not have to land at an airport 100 minutes away!
Can you hear "Secret Agent Man" playing in the Background? :ph34r: :lol: Last time I rode the Sunset Eagle to LAX we had a Medical Emergency between Alpine (one of your Favorites! :giggle: )and Marfa the next Town but not a Stop, and the EMTs met us @ a Grade Crossing in the Middle of Nowhere (literally) since the only Hospital for 200 miles is located in Alpine where we had just left from! <_<

The same thing happened to us on the SWC a couple years ago. We had to stop at a crossing in the middle of rural Kansas because some lady was having an allergic reaction. She 1) ate something that had peanut dust or whatever on it and 2) did not have an EpiPen with her. :angry2:

Last edited by a moderator:
This happened to me on the Eagle once. I dont know if I'd call it an emergency, per se, they just had to take a crazy guy off, when we met the sherrif at a crossing.

Since comparison with air is mentioned, I thought I will share an experience that I had just four weeks back.....

On my flight out to Delhi on the Newark - Delhi non-stop 14.5 hour flight (UA 82 equipment GE90 777-200ER) we had a situation. A passenger suffered a heart attack somewhere over North Afghanistan, about an hour out of Delhi. The plane crew were absolutely superb. They pulled out their emergency medical kit and got to work with the help of a GP and a Nurse who were among the passengers. The patient had stopped breathing and had no pulse. They together applied defibrillator and CPR and Oxygen to revive the patient in flight. Since we were within an hour of Delhi there was no diversion. I was not looking forward to landing in Pakistan or Turkmenistan, though I suppose a brief stop at Ashgabad on the border of Iran could be interesting.

Anyway, we landed in Delhi in the middle of a torrential Monsoon downpour, a continuous sheet of water pouring by the windows. They offloaded the passengers using the front door and used the middle door for the medical evacuation (Delhi T3 always uses two aerobridges for 777s). Delhi had an Ambulance standing by when the plane arrived at the gate. C&I were also present to process the necessary paperwork. It was all handled remarkably efficiently. Kudos to United crew for carrying out their primary function with extreme dispatch and efficiency. Incidentally the flight arrived almost one hour ahead of schedule, thanks to the jet stream.

Last edited by a moderator:
Since comparison with air is mentioned, I thought I will share an experience that I had just four weeks back.....
Now if that was someone in coach on a domestic flight on an American airline, they'd probably fly low over a hospital and push the patient out then charge a fee for it! :rolleyes:

Now if that was someone in coach on a domestic flight on an American airline, they'd probably fly low over a hospital and push the patient out then charge a fee for it! :rolleyes:
Yeah, right.
Yeah. The fee has to be big enough to cover the FAA fine. :help:
They'd charge you a fee just for even thinking about having a medical emergency.

What would they do on something like keystone service? There is only something like 2 crossings I think between Harrisburg and Philadelphia and that's 104 miles..

What would they do on something like keystone service? There is only something like 2 crossings I think between Harrisburg and Philadelphia and that's 104 miles..
But the stations are a lot closer together.
And there are other places along the way that they could stop and emergency crews could still get to the train. Yes, it wouldn't be quite as easy as a crossing, but it can still be done. I watched them take someone off the LSL once in NY State and we weren't at a crossing either.

I also think that there are a few more crossings left too, than just 2.

That's true, there are more stations, plus I forgot about the 25 stations that SEPTA has from Thorndale to Philly. If you add all the AMTRAK ones before that, there isn't much of a problem, you're right.

As for the crosisngs, I am almost sure there is only 1 between Lancaster and Philly, which I ride the most, and I only went to Harrisburg once, and I only saw 1 more there, so AFAIK it's only 2. But my memory could be failing me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back