Meals for sleeper passengers (what is included?)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A couple months ago in ABQ I saw multiple potable water hoses dragged fifty feet or more across the service platform.  Is that normal?  It seems kind of surprising for a potable water source being provided to paid customers.
But was the nozzle on the ground as well? Indeed it shouldn't be, but the water is suppose to be run for something like 2 minutes (hey, I don't know! I'm a spoiled LSA who works locals and doesn't have to after his car!), to flush anything and everything out of the hose before being used.
Is the big white part the nozzle?  That's the part that was on the ground.

Is the big white part the nozzle?  That's the part that was on the ground.
I honestly don't know. Different stations seem to use different hoses and all that jazz. From what I've seen, most hoses seem to have a..collar I guess I'd call it, kind of like a hose on a gas pump would have. Some are built in a way that it acts almost like a stand, so the hose can be left on the ground while flushing the hose out, but also keeping the nozzle itself off the ground.

But of it were being dragged, I'm guessing the nozzle touched the ground..

Yes, you do.

Anything ordered from the Dining Car is included, but anything obtained from the cafe you must pay for.

For example, for lunch. You want a burger with cheese, chips, soda and some dessert. If you order it in the DC, it will cost you nothing. If you obtain those same items from the cafe, you must pay the menu prices listed.

Related to the OP, using the Silver Meteor as an example, if you're a sleeper passenger, do you still have to pay extra for anything from the cafe car?

Not necessarily a problem if yes, but it's good info to have.
You 100% have to be extra for anything from the Cafe car. In fact I’ve seen plenty of sleeper pax get stuff from the Cafe car and then get furious when they learn that they have to pay for it.

You 100% have to be extra for anything from the Cafe car. In fact I’ve seen plenty of sleeper pax get stuff from the Cafe car and then get furious when they learn that they have to pay for it.
Might want to correct that to 99%. There's always flexibility. For example if we don't have something you want that's gluten free, and the cafe does, I would go get it comped for you.

Same rules apply for Acela First Class. I had a young teen who didn't like the vegetarian option, and was going to go without eating. I asked if he wanted a vegan burger or pizza from the cafe instead. He chose a vegan burger, so I went and got it, even put the bun in the toaster and plated it on china before I served him.

Anyway, that was a bit of a long winded response, and I apologize. The short response is though there are exceptions, if it's just because one is hungry outside the service hours of the diner, you are in the hook for the price of any goods from the cafe.

Back