Maximum Vehicle Length on Autotrain

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
J

John

I was contemplating my first trip using the auto train, and read the vehicle limitations on the website. Although they allow SUV's, the length is limited to 182 inches. I don't think I have ever had a vehicle less than 182 inches long (neither my toyota solara nor my nissan rogue qualify). Are those vehicle length limitations correct? Should I give up on my hopes of using the auto train?

These days the biggest issue to my knowledge is the width of the vehicle. That's a far more important factor, since the person driving your vehicle on/off the train must still be able to open the door wide enough to get in/out of the vehicle.

However, if you want more information, your best bet is to call the Auto Train's direct number. Unlike the regular Amtrak number, agents at the AT phone center are trained for all things AT. That number is 1-877-754-7495 or 1-877-SKIP-I-95.

Width and height are far more important. Width, for the reasons Alan listed, height because your vehicle has to clear the ceiling line of the enclosed Auto Carriers. My vehicle comes in at 211", and it's been just fine.

Well shucks...I guess I'll have to leave my 18-passenger 372" Hummer Stretch Limo at home. :giggle:

And now you'll have the option of paying an extra $50 and getting "priority" retrieval of your vehicle -- which can save an hour or so.

I just spoke to the AT rep, and he said the actual max length they can handle is 18', which is 216". The length listed online was the cutoff between a regular an oversized vehicle, which used to affect the price.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back