Lunch on a (rather late) Meteor?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anderson

Engineer
So, how late into NYP does 98 need to before lunch is served? The Meteor has been quite late into NYP on a few occasions over the last month (I'm in a situation where a delay of >7 hrs isn't going to bother me, so OTP isn't at issue...and at a delay of 7 hours or more I figure I'll know before it gets to RVR and I can adjust fire accordingly...if it's down like 10 hours at RMT I'll just deal with a Regional instead), so I'm wondering what the threshold is here.

IIRC, when the CL was late getting into WAS they didn't serve lunch they gave out "snack packs" to everyone on the train even to coach passengers. I don't think they had the food onboard to serve lunch.

IIRC, when the CL was late getting into WAS they didn't serve lunch they gave out "snack packs" to everyone on the train even to coach passengers. I don't think they had the food onboard to serve lunch.
That's strange. Cause the Cap advertises an "Express Lunch" service menu on the Eastbound train. Burgers, Hot Dogs, and some things off the kids menu. But the last time I was able to have the "Express Lunch" on the Cap was almost 4 years ago.

As for how late the SM has to be for a full lunch service, I'd take a gander and say 3 to 4 hours. Cause if she's on-time she's due into NYP at 11am sharp. But that's also subject to change. If they run early into DC then you can write off lunch for sure.

No telling when he was on the Cap...and the Cap's handling of meals into WAS has been notoriously touch-and-go over the years (sometimes it's been one meal, sometimes two, sometimes one-with-both-menus-as-brunch). I know if she's early into DC lunch isn't happening (I once had her get me to NYP at about 10:10...that was a surprise!) but...well, tonight she is most assuredly not.

I had lunch on the Meteor into NYP last time I traveled on it in October. It was running about 5-6 hours late. However, I did not have lunch after I boarded in Orlando (since it was almost dinner time).

I believe I was served lunch on other ocassions, when it was running about 3 hours late. I do not remember the specific circumstances, however.

From my years of experience, the Silvers continue to serve meals at their normal times, even when we were running over 24+ hours late. If its an "extra" meal, menu items might be limited depending on what stock they have left.

Of course, over those same years, official procedures could have changed.

Since this is a thread about meals on the Silver Meteor, I figured it would be right to ask here, as opposed to starting a new thread and cluttering the board.

Meals on 97, Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, and then is there a light dinner or snack before arrival in MIA? I'm going NYP-MIA the whole way.

Meals on 98, Breakfast out of Miami??? Then lunch, dinner, breakfast?

Meals on 97, Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, and then is there a light dinner or snack before arrival in MIA? I'm going NYP-MIA the whole way.

Meals on 98, Breakfast out of Miami??? Then lunch, dinner, breakfast?
If train 97 is on time (more or less), there will be no meal served in dining car after lunch. (no light dinner or snack before arrival in MIA).

However, breakfast is normally served on 98 out of Miami, however, I have been on the train when it was not since it was running late and chef did not have time to get breakfast prepared.

Is this going to be an issue when I take No. 98 to PHL from Kissimmee on March 10-11?

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

On the 98, the normally close breakfast after West Palm Beach.

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

Back