Lunch on 449 and Dinner on 448

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Has anyone had recent experience on how lunch is handled on 449 between Boston and Albany for sleeping car passengers? And how about how dinner is handled on 448 between Albany and Boston?

Are some flexible dining meals carried in the café car on these trains for sleeping car passengers? Or do sleeping car passengers order items from the café car menu?

It used to be five or six years ago that the café car on 448 and 449 would carry some selections solely for sleeping car passengers but that became quite inconsistent in the days of the extended stub train service. As I recall on the extended stub train service most of the time sleeping car passengers who were travelling by sleeper west of Albany ordered off the café car menu. I recall one trip on the 449 stub train sleeping car passengers got a sandwich, chips and soda but on the return trip on 448 they got a sandwich and soda but were denied chips.

We were bustituted between Albany and Boston on our Chicago - Boston trip last May. Didn't even have time to go to the coffee shop in Albany but were given a small bag of peanuts and some crackers on the bus for dinner.

Oh, dear, that is all the more reason that the next time I go to BOS, I will probably take the Cap Ltd and NE Regional. Since there is no sleeper on the NE Regional, and I can get off at RTE (Route 128), that actually works out just a little cheaper for my ticket. But I know I will be on my own for food on the NE Regional. That may be better for me than the pitiful offerings described above.

I would be interested to know what the case is right now (not still a stub train?).

Oh, dear, that is all the more reason that the next time I go to BOS, I will probably take the Cap Ltd and NE Regional. Since there is no sleeper on the NE Regional, and I can get off at RTE (Route 128), that actually works out just a little cheaper for my ticket. But I know I will be on my own for food on the NE Regional. That may be better for me than the pitiful offerings described above.

I would be interested to know what the case is right now (not still a stub train?).
Excellent idea Jennifer since ths Cap arrives into WAS in Daylight and the Late Shore Ltd. usually gets into Boston Late to Very Late @ night.

Even though the Cap serves the same Cuisine as the Lateshore, you can pick up some Good Food in Washington for Lunch and to take on the Regional to Boston that's much better than the Boxed stuff on the Eastern LD Trains or the Cafe stuff!

Back