Luggage in Roomette

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nora_roan

Train Attendant
I have never traveled by train before and will be in a roomette for a portion of my journey (overnight on the Capitol Limited). I know space is gonna be tight, but I will be by myself and am wondering if I will be able to fit my small suitcase and carry on bag in there with me? Suitcase measures roughly 14 x 27 x 8 and the carry on is smaller. Could I just put them on the overhead bunk? I am small and could climb around to reach them if need be. Advice and tips appreciated!

Thanks again!

Sorry for asking so many silly questions, but I am pretty nervous about this whole thing. But I'm guessing its just me being a worrywart for no reason (as usual). LOL! :p

No problem. I asked many questions before my first LD trip in 2011. I tend to want to know as much as possible before hand when doing something new.

The best thing to do is put your big luggage in the downstair bin that is right next to the stairway going up to the upper level. Put your stuff you in a small bag that you will need in your room and take it upstairs with your if your room is on the upper level.

It is indeed better to leave the big bag downstairs, as the stairs are tight and steep, and getting your big bag up them would be a chore. I've done many long-distance trips, and never had a problem with security, but you can lock the bag (and should always have your valuables with you). If you are still nervous after getting on the train and seeing that everyone does just that, then you may certainly put your bag on the upper bunk if you wish. The carry-on should fit on the opposite seat during the day, and by the side of the bed at night.

If you can put everything you need for the trip in the carry-on, why not just check the larger bag? I realize not everyone gets on at a station where that's possible, LOL, I'm included in that category!

Sorry for asking so many silly questions, but I am pretty nervous about this whole thing. But I'm guessing its just me being a worrywart for no reason (as usual). LOL! :p
Not to worry, being able to ask questions is the reason that this forum was started.

Nora, if you are a bit worried don't be. A roomette is good for two and absolutely great for one. Rail travel is the most relaxing, confortable and fun way to travel. Don't forget to make your meal reservations. You know that all meals are included, right? Have a wonderful trip.

As said, if you can leave your large bag in the lower level luggage rack, and just bring your valuables (purse, camera, laptop, etc...) and necessary items to your room with you.

If you are going to or from either Washington or Chicago, you are also entitled to use the Club Acela in Washington and/or the Metropolitan Lounge in Chicago before and/or after your trip. You also board early from these locations.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for all the advice. I am not at all comfortable with leaving the larger bag in the bin downstairs. Its only about 14 x 27 x 8, so its not "gigantic". I think I'll just put it in the bunk above me in the roomette. I am sure I can get it up the stairs, other people have told me they have carried much larger items up them.

I have never traveled by train before and will be in a roomette for a portion of my journey (overnight on the Capitol Limited). I know space is gonna be tight, but I will be by myself and am wondering if I will be able to fit my small suitcase and carry on bag in there with me? Suitcase measures roughly 14 x 27 x 8 and the carry on is smaller. Could I just put them on the overhead bunk? I am small and could climb around to reach them if need be. Advice and tips appreciated!
Thanks again!
Exactly what I did coming east from Portland (PDX) Just me in the roomette, so I put my big suitcase up there and it worked out fine for me. I made up my bed early and left it as a bed the whole trip. Kind of a laidback trip for me. Not saying anyone else would travel this way, but I sure loved it.

Thanks for all the advice. I am not at all comfortable with leaving the larger bag in the bin downstairs. Its only about 14 x 27 x 8, so its not "gigantic". I think I'll just put it in the bunk above me in the roomette. I am sure I can get it up the stairs, other people have told me they have carried much larger items up them.
Do it. You'll be just fine. One suggestion - when you first board ditch the bag on the luggage rack, then once people are done boarding, go back down and retrieve it. Getting up the stairs when it's crowded is zoo-time with people wanting to go down while others go up.

I have no trouble finding a place for a bag that size without having to use the upper bunk. Leaving the upper down feels a little claustrophobic to me and greatly decreases headroom. I think the superliner is the one with a space up high to the right of the door. Your bag should fit up there just fine. On the other sleeper type it will fit on the shelf lower down but also to the right of the door. There's also a lot of room under the seats, though only about 6" height.

In general it's much better to have several smaller bags than one huge one, but you're traveling lightly enough that you don't need to worry about that.

FYI, the two bag limit is just Amtrak's unwillingness to take the time to come up with a rule that actually makes sense. They do not enforce it literally at all and really just use it as a simple CYA rule in order to force anyone trying to carry mounatins of stuff on board to check their monster bags.

Relax, enjoy the trip, and let us know how it went.

I think the superliner is the one with a space up high to the right of the door. Your bag should fit up there just fine.
Nope, that's the Viewliner that has the cubbyhole above the hall.

A bag, depending on size, might still fit/stand on the steps however.

I think the superliner is the one with a space up high to the right of the door. Your bag should fit up there just fine.
Nope, that's the Viewliner that has the cubbyhole above the hall.

A bag, depending on size, might still fit/stand on the steps however.
20b1cgy.jpg

That's Brent's "overnight bag" (i.e. large backpack) on the steps. There's definitely room for a small carry-on bag if you turn it sideways. There's also room in the closet for a laptop bag and purse. I just stuffed everything in the bottom and hung our coats up. At night, we kept our shoes under the bottom bunk.

Edited to add: we were in a Superliner roomette.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back