LSL sleeper rebook

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

DLP

Im booked on the LSL Boston to Chicago in Nov. and now theres a BOGO promotion— can I rebook without penalty? It doesnt seem likely but im just checking here. Thanks!

The BOGO sleeper promotion is something new, so likely no one here has any experience. I would call Amtrak and see what they say.

Just called and thought they could re-price my reservation with the new BOGO promo and was told that I would have to cancel (big penalty) and re-book

Does that sound right? I was under the impression that if there were to be any price drops between the time we booked and the time we left that the ticket just gets repriced.

I just started a thread same topic. I was just told by Amtrak that my already booked room would have to be cancelled and then I would re-book to get the BOGO. Would have to pay a penalty that was much more than the price difference.

I thought that if your price went down that they could just re-price your booking don't know if I should call and try again. I'm not familiar with train travel

I just started a thread same topic. I was just told by Amtrak that my already booked room would have to be cancelled and then I would re-book to get the BOGO. Would have to pay a penalty that was much more than the price difference.

I thought that if your price went down that they could just re-price your booking don't know if I should call and try again. I'm not familiar with train travel

Your 2 threads were merged into the original thread since both threads pertain to the same topic.

I wondered where my thread went to. That was fast. I will try calling one more time tomorrow and see if I get the same answer. I was under the impression that Amtrak was pretty good with price drops.

I wondered where my thread went to. That was fast. I will try calling one more time tomorrow and see if I get the same answer. I was under the impression that Amtrak was pretty good with price drops.

There is likely a difference between a price drop and modification of the reservation and changing the reservation completely to the promotion. Usually there is no penalty when one modified a reservation. However, there is a penalty when one cancels a reservation or "changes" (vs. modifies) the reservation.

I would call back and see if you get a different answer from a different agent, but my guess is that you would have to cancel and re-book.

The key word here is 'MODIFY'. Tell the agent you want to modify your reservation. I would not be surprised if you told them to 'change' a reservation, they'd do a cancel & rebook. I've successfully modified a reservation to get a $200+ refund and all that was done was move me across the aisle from roomette #2 to #1. Just last week, I modified a reservation to move it back 31 days later, round trip including roomettes, no change in fare (I used Amsnag to find the same fare I had paid).

So, I'd give it a try 'modifying' your existing reservation to get a different roomette and, by the way, add a BOGO passenger. Note that you will likely have to pay some $$ if the price of the roomettes went up since you booked. If they went down, you'll get a voucher. Also, if they end up doing a cancel and rebook, the penalty for cancelling a roomette is a good chunk of change.

Plan B: Book an 'open sleeper' ticket and effectively pay the coach fare for the extra passenger.

I too seem to have bad luck booking tickets just before a sale is announced. The last time this happened I called and basically in order to take advantage of the sale, it would have resulted in a cancellation penalty and rebooking which would have cost even more. The BOGO deal sounds like it could work differently though, based on the replies in this thread.

This is a bit different than a normal modify, since the reservation has already been made for the second passenger, and this is not an availability of a lower fare, it is a new promotion. It is not unusual for a business to restrict a promotion to make them unavailable on prior sales. If you modified to another roomette, and added a bogo, you would still be faced with the fact that you have already paid for the second passenger in the original reservation. How they treat that is an unknown.

I was going to try again early this morning but that BOGO price is no longer available on the dates and trains we have booked Oh well

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back