LSL Meal (ALB to BOS) & Luggage Storage at BOS

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm looking to take the LSL from ALB to BOS for fun later on in the year. Do they serve dinner for sleeper passengers?

On a separate trip, I'll be taking the bus to BOS then the Downeaster later in the day. Can I use the baggage storage service at BOS? I know there is a $10 fee for it.

Thank you in advance.

The Boston section of the Lakeshore Ltd splits off at ALB and has only a cafe car for food, positioned between the 2 coaches and the sleeper at the front of the train. As a sleeper passenger, I'd expect they'd provide 'contemporary dining' choices to sleeper passengers. Unless you value your privacy more than a chunk of change, I'd opt to ride coach or business class rather than pay the price for a sleeper and get a free contemporary dining meal of debatable quality and taste.

As for luggage storage in BOS, I don't have a clue.

I recently traveled on the LSL from Rochester to Springfield in a sleeper. The dining car attendant (LSA) asked me (and the others with whom I was traveling) if we wanted a meal after Albany. We did not. I think if we did, the LSA would have transferred those meals to the cafe car. Since you will be boarding in Albany after the train is separated and the dining car/sleeper lounge is part of the NYP section of train 48, you will not be able to express your preference to the LSA. Possibly a box few meals will be transferred to the cafe car in anticipation of boarding sleeper passengers or sleeper passengers will be provided a meal from the cafe car.

From the Amtrak website regarding temporary bag storage:
Temporary Bag Storage
Customers holding tickets for Amtrak travel may store their items in Parcel Check service when available for $10 per item for 24 hours. Check the station detail page for the stations you'll be visiting to see if they offer this service. Customers that don't have an Amtrak ticket may store items for $20 per item for 24 hours (valid photo ID required).

I'm looking to take the LSL from ALB to BOS for fun later on in the year. Do they serve dinner for sleeper passengers?

On a separate trip, I'll be taking the bus to BOS then the Downeaster later in the day. Can I use the baggage storage service at BOS? I know there is a $10 fee for it.

Thank you in advance.

For Baggage Storage in Boston, you should have no issues, unless the Lake Shore is running very late, as the desk may be closed. Remember that the Downeaster trains arrive and depart from North Station so you will need time to retrieve your bags and make it cross town from South to North Station. If your traveling light and the weather is nice it’s a nice walk between the stations using the Rose Kennedy Greenway, otherwise an Uber/Lyft is recommended.

Further if the Lake Shore is running on time, Dinner in Boston would be much better than anything served on the Train.

Ken

Back