LSL checked baggage to and from Boston

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AudenHoggart

Service Attendant
I'd thought checked baggage had been eliminated on the LSL to and from Boston, but I see the June 2019 timetable shows it available at Boston. Has it been reinstated (for Boston only?)

If not, how is baggage handled for roomette passengers? It's obviously unrealistic to keep very much in the roomette itself, especially if it's used by two passengers.

Thanks!

I believe that technically checked baggage is available to Boston on the Lake Shore but it has to go through New York. I think when you check a bag from Chicago to Boston for instance, it goes in the New York baggage car to New York. It is then transferred hours later to a New York - Boston train which has baggage service (I think the overnight DC to Boston train may be the only trains on that route with a baggage car). I think the reverse happens westbound. So while there is technically checked baggage it won't be on your train but will arrive a day later. That is my understanding of how this works and hopefully someone can correct me if I am wrong.

At present excess bags are handled in the Boston sleeper by one of three methods:
1. Excess bags are placed in an empty roomette (this was the case on our trip in May)
2. Excess bags are placed in the outer room (changing room) of the shower.
3. Excess bags are placed in the section of the business class car (the café car immediately behind the Boston sleeper) which has space for bags.

I was told by friend on 449 that the latter took place recently when the Boston sleeper was surprisingly sold out.

No Boston sleeper on 449 today. Anyone know the deal?

Twice within a week the sleeper in Boston for 449 has been unavailable. Fortunately both times a third sleeper was put on in New York so at least those booked BOS-CHI had their sleeper rooms ALB-CHI.

Back