Lounge Car Experiance

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ScottC4746

OBS Chief
My experiance so far as been on SLTD 1 & 2 and SWC 3 and has not been pleasent. Upstairs chargers stretched across the walkway, buskers performing, screeming children (I understand they are cooped up and releasing energy); party crowds. Are all the lounge cars like this or have I just been lucky (sic). :rolleyes: I travel in June on SWC 4 LAX - CHI and then CZ 5 CHI - EMY. Fortunately we have a sleeper if it gets too bad but on the CZ would like to have the windows curving in the roof for the Rockies.

It all depends on the crowd and the time of year. Sometimes you get lucky, and sometimes not so much. Its been a couple of years since I was in a SSL, but IIRC the refurbs are putting in outlets along both sides of the car.

We were on the CZ earlier this week from Chicago to Emeryville. The Sightseer Lounge was

an enjoyable experience. Even with a 9 hour delay, the passengers were understanding and

respectful and the crew were teriffic. The trip through the Rocky Mountains was spectacular.

Unfortunately, due to the delays, it was dark when we passed through the Sierra Nevada

mountains.

I agree that much depends on the passengers, but much also depends on the conductor and crew.

The SSL has always been loud and crazy on our trips. We can tolerate it for about five minutes before we run back to our roomette or seat like scared kitties.

I have been lucky that the Sightseers that I have been on have been fairly quiet - except when you get a noisy bunch of AU'ers together!

And many lounges now have power plugs at the side facing seats!

Hit-or-miss are my experiences. I try the SSL on every train I board, be it while using Coach or Sleeper. Give it 20 minutes. If I am not driven from the car by the company by that point, I'm in luck and usually quite happy. And by driven, I mean I've somehow nabbed an 'unwanted' bit of company in terms of conversation partner. :help:

My first long distance trip was on the SSL and I didn't think about it but it was leaving the day after Mardi Gras. I was in a sleeper and it seemed to be full of off-duty Amtrak employees who were riding from NOL back to LA after being there for a little vacation. Well. All I can report is that a good time was had by all. At that time I didn't know what I was looking at but I haven't had that type of experience since. The SWC and SSL are the trains I take on a somewhat regular basis and since I'm in a roommette I guess I usually miss the action in the other cars.

The most fun Ive had in the lounge car was on the CONO, but they call it the "party train" for a reason.

Otherwise, I have always found the lounge car to be ok. When I find its too noisy, I just go back to my seat if in coach, or room if I am in a sleeper. I dont stay in the SSL for long anyway, because I find its just not quite as comfortable as coach or the room. YMMV.

I have found that on the limited times that I have traveled on LD trains, that the SSL is always quite full, sometimes it is quiet, other times it can get quite noisy. But because I want to make sure other people get a chance to see things from the SSL, I only go in there for a half hour or so at a time. Parking myself in there is just not for me, first off, the seats are too close to the windows for me to keep my bad knee stretched out and as has been said before in this thread, the seats are just not that comfortable for any length of time.

Having never laid down in there I cannot comment on how comfortable or not it is laying down, but sitting up looking out at the sights is not as comfortable in my opinion.

They're usually pretty quiet for me. I actually go up there to read after dark, instead of turning on the light and annoying whoever's around me in coach.

It all depends on the crowd on the train. If I'm riding home on the CS (just from EMY-DAV/SAC if I miss the last CC) then I usually just bring my laptop with me into the SSL and put in my headphones. It can be a bit loud and the last time there was a guy trying to unscrew a light out of the celing so he could sleep but this is from 10pm-Midnight so it's a slightly different atmosphere than the day time.

The time before that when I was riding south was Superbowl Sunday followed by train 14 striking a pedestrian causing us to be delayed. People were drinking all the beer until it was sold out (by SLO) followed by trying to get every last piece of food once we were stopped.

Other than those examples it has been nice for the most part. No real problems... and some routes even have narration in the SSL as well depending on the time of year.

They're usually pretty quiet for me. I actually go up there to read after dark, instead of turning on the light and annoying whoever's around me in coach.
Me too... and sometimes I run in to another night-owl and have a good conversation...

My favorite time to visit the SSL is after my morning shower & waiting for the diner to open, watching the Lizards scatter as the conductor wakes them! If your SCA has coffee ready that early, it's a great place to kick back & wake up, yourself!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
there was a guy trying to unscrew a light out of the celing so he could sleep
I have yet to find the place online where it gives you an option to purchase a seat in the Sightseer Lounge! I have only seen the following offered:

1. Coach
  2. Lower level coach
  3. Roomette
  4. Family Room
  5. Bedroom
As hard as it is to believe, that is where passengers are expected to sleep also! :eek: They are not called "lounge lizards" for no reason.

OK, there may be a good reason for sleeping in the SSL (like you fell asleep for 5 minutes at 2 pm), but if you come into the SSL at 11 pm and are carrying a pillow, sleeping bag and/or blankets, I do not believe you're planning just a 5 minute "nap"! :wacko:

There are always at least 3-4 if not more people who have blankets and pillows in the SSL when I have ridden the CS on my short hop home. They spread out on the seats to try to lay down flat. I would assume they would be from coach and were not satisfied with the company or the seat recline.

No one seems to stop them and some conductor mention if you want to stretch out or be loud go to the SSL as it is the common area open all night. Seems to be more like common practice to most than just a person here and there IME.

Me too... and sometimes I run in to another night-owl and have a good conversation...

I have also had several good conversations at night in the SSL, which is something for me because I'm not at all an extrovert. One of the best conversations I had in the SSL was with the conductor on my way from Spokane to Portland He and I were the only ones awake at the time I was in there, about 45 minutes out of Spokane. He made the lounge lizards wake up promptly at 6AM and they were none too happy, but the lounge lizards' blood pressure was of no concern to him. ;)

Now switching to the PPC for a moment, those swivel chairs tend to be very nap inducing and I have caught myself dozing off more than once during the day, usually fighting it all the way as I do not want to miss any good scenery. I will often head into the PPC late in the evening and relax, often being the only one there-the Attendant will not chase you out and often will ask if you want the lights dimmed or left up when they retire for the night.

I'm sorry to hear you don't like "buskers" in the lounge car. That's one of the things that I hope for! I've heard folk duos, a beat poet, a jazz band (on the way to New Orleans of course), a country singer, and even a German duo with an acordian! It's one of the many things that I love about taking the train.

I'm not really sure what the problem is.. if you don't think they are good... either sit on the other side of the lounge.. or go back to your seat for a bit. They usually only play for about 30 minutes or so.. if that long.

Now you mentioned a "party" crowd.. if you mean loud and obnoxious (lots of profanity and such) that is something I am NOT a fan of and I totally understand your complaint. That happens from time to time... but I would say it's the exception, and not the rule.

I think Scott was simply asking if the SSL on the CZ is like that or if it's only certain routes that seem to have a loud SSL, not that SSL's should be quiet at all times.

I don't mind the impromptu jam sessions at all. That's part of the whole train experience. What I do mind is the "lounge lizards" who stretch across 3-4 seats at 2 am - and then get mad because you ask them kindly to move from one of those seats so you can sit down. :angry:

And what's with that earlier person who tried to remove a light bulb so he could sleep? For some reason, I don't think that was for a 5 minute nap only! :angry:

at least the lounge lizards dont use it like a bar

and and try to pick up every women they meet in the lounge

:giggle: :giggle: :giggle:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back