Look Around exterior of Amtrak stations (here's LA Union)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iliketrains

Lead Service Attendant
Apple Maps has a "Look Around" feature that allows you to put in an address and then look around to see what's all around the address. I put in the address for LA Union Station and here are the screenshots. It would be great if folks put in their favorite station's address and then post screenshot(s). Google Maps probably has the same feature.

LA Union1.png LA Union4.png LA Union2.png LA Union3.png

Yes, Google Maps has "Street View" that allows you to see and move around the areas.
I use that feature, and it is neat...however, I don't believe every location has detailed street views from all sides...

From what I've read, the Apple Maps "Look Around" feature is only available in very limited areas at present (San Francisco Bay Area, Los Angeles, and New York).

I use that feature, and it is neat...however, I don't believe every location has detailed street views from all sides...

Often, you get a street view of buildings shot from the front. You can use the function to move forward, reverse direction, even turn at intersections but most often you'll still be looking at the front of buildings. Where there is an empty lot next door, sometimes you can zoom in or move around to check out buildings' side views. Rarely will you see the back of buildings.

Often, you get a street view of buildings shot from the front. You can use the function to move forward, reverse direction, even turn at intersections but most often you'll still be looking at the front of buildings. Where there is an empty lot next door, sometimes you can zoom in or move around to check out buildings' side views. Rarely will you see the back of buildings.

Since most of the street views are done from a car, it makes sense that you can’t see the back of the buildings.
Though there have been times that I’ve dropped the little guy into a building and could see the interior, so I guess they having people walk with the cameras too.

Though there have been times that I’ve dropped the little guy into a building and could see the interior, so I guess they having people walk with the cameras too.
Yup. They have these nifty backpacks they use while walking around.

You can also link photos, so sometimes you'll see little blue dots on the map where people have linked a photo of the area. Those are fun to drop onto.

I've also seen, in large cities like Chicago, that department stores will show levels/maps the closer you zoom in. It can be quite helpful when planning a shopping trip.

Back