Long term parking at Kansas stations TOP or LRC

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm planning a trip on SWC to Flagstaff, AZ leaving the day after Christmas from Lawrence or Topeka, Kansas. I'm driving from Lincoln, Nebraska and need a place to leave my car for about 10 days until I get back to my starting point on the SWC. I don't want to get to the station, (trains leave about midnight) and then find no parking available at the station or close by.

Any suggestions?

What have you for a "ride" - a "rolling total" or a "Yesterday's drive-off"? This could affect a response from "anyone in the know".

One suggestion which often works is to make a deal with a local motel which has a shuttle van: You stay there one night prior to departure, and they give you a lift to the station and allow your car to remain parked in their lot for your trip. I don't know any specific motels in these towns which would agree to this, but in general it seems to work in many places.

Motel Mr. Bowen? Wow, a term from the past.

I acknowledge such is in the name for one chain of "econobrands", but beyond that, all the majors have dropped that term. Today it remains amongst some independents - and some that rent rooms by the hour!

Last edited by a moderator:
The "No Tell Motel?"
default_mosking.gif

Edit To Add: ...which probably has a surveillance camera in the lobby which is routinely "reviewed" by local law enforcement?

Last edited by a moderator:
I am not from the area but when I need long term parking, I consider the local airport and taking an Uber to and from the station.

SOMETHING tells me, the topic originator has a "freebie" in mind.

Somewhere, there must be an airport offering free parking, but darned it I know where.

I believe Amtrak lists 25 long term parking spaces at the Topeka station, and 15 at the Lawrence station.

https://www.amtrak.com/stations/top

I don't if they offer shuttle service or not but the Topeka Ramada Inn is almost next door, and within

walking distance, to the Amtrak station.

SOMETHING tells me, the topic originator has a "freebie" in mind.

Somewhere, there must be an airport offering free parking, but darned it I know where.

I could hardly expect a freebie from the airport to let me take Amtrak. I'd expect to pay the going rate, and using airport parking sounds like a good idea.

I believe Amtrak lists 25 long term parking spaces at the Topeka station, and 15 at the Lawrence station.

https://www.amtrak.com/stations/top

I don't if they offer shuttle service or not but the Topeka Ramada Inn is almost next door, and within

walking distance, to the Amtrak station.
I see those long term spaces listed also, but there's no way to reserve a space. I'm wondering what to do if I get there an hour before departure and find the lot full.

Thanks to all of you who replied.

The Lawrence station is undergoing restoration and some parking on the west side is temporarily inaccessible. But there are quite a few spots in the gravel area on the east side of the station. If you want a real-time view of the parking, go to www.lawrencetraincam.com. The station is at the left corner of the view, the cars nearest the camera are in a private lot, and the cars across the street next to the dumpster and construction trailer are where you can park.

Back