London to Baja California ~ across America

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maybe the two of you should book a stay on Cold Mary, late Spring it should be glorious and there is so much more to the ship than our photos show. It certainly has bags of character.

Last edited by a moderator:
Many years ago, on a trip with my parents to visit my sister (she lived in Santa Monica at that time) we took a very interesting tour. Don't know how they are today..It was quite a while ago, the Spruce Goose was right nearby...

Maybe the two of you should book a stay on Cold Mary, late Spring it should be glorious and there is so much more to the ship than our photos show. It certainly has bags of character.
I definitely will the next time I’m out there. I mistakenly assumed it would be expensive, but it’s pretty comparable to the average hotels.

It was quite a while ago, the Spruce Goose was right nearby...
Fun fact: my office is in a building right next to the hangar where the Spruce Goose was built.

The development is on land that used to be occupied by Hughes Aircraft's various factory facilities, complete with a private airport. All of that is gone now except for the Spruce Goose hangar... which is in the process of being turned into offices and studios for Google.

Fun fact: my office is in a building right next to the hangar where the Spruce Goose was built.

The development is on land that used to be occupied by Hughes Aircraft's various factory facilities, complete with a private airport. All of that is gone now except for the Spruce Goose hangar... which is in the process of being turned into offices and studios for Google.
Were you at work on the 27 & 28 December? and have you ever eaten at The Reef?

Sounds like we could have been less than a 1/4 mile apart, could have thanked you personally for help you have given over the years. 

Friday 29 December Day 16 ~ Canoga Park CA, a day to do nothing except to work our way through the cake menu at Panaderia La Paz

France ~ Sunday 23 February 2019

The day after discovering the delightful Mexican bakery La Paz, just off the cross roads of De Soto and Roscoe we had to make a second visit. The visits became addictive with at least one a day whenever we were at Milton's.

We discovered they had at least 10 - 12 types of cake we had never seen that alone eaten, and we do have try out cakes when we can. If we bought one or two types per visit, we calculated we may just get through the whole range before we leave for the UK. It was a lot of fun as the store was always busy, never less than 5 or 6 customers at any time we visited. To cope with this there were quite a few staff too, from the bakers to the servers, plus the boss always prowling with a word or two out of the side of his mouth to this or that person.

When we looked a little undecided or asked what was in a cake we had offers of opinions from both customers and staff, often there were big discussions among the regulars and staff. Sometimes we walked out not even knowing what we had bought but it was always lots of good humour and laughing.

If La Paz are a typical traditional Mexican bakery then they are treasures wherever they are.

All this eating of food that tastes great but isn't good for you brought on a story about Twinkies. How a lady in a Homestead FL supermarket had approached us with a manic look in her eyes, "do you know where they keep the Twinkies?" she looked a bit desperate. After explaining we had never heard of Twinkies and asking should we have done, she described in great detail, acting out in the aisle what would happen if you lived on them entirely. We assumed this is normal behaviour for Homestead, but when in Rome...

Back at Milton's there was a discussion as to if 'Twinkies' were as tasty as Milton's all time favourite junk food 'Ding Dongs', we thought he was making the name up. We didn't have a clue having not eaten either, so, the enormous 7 seater SUV (there would be a lot of us going to the Rose Parade) comes out of the garage and we pop down to Wal-Mart. Quelle horreur, there are no Ding Dongs to be seen. With Milton in panic mode we drive to a bigger Wal-Mart to buy what looked like a sack of Ding Dongs, it had cost around 3 gallons of gas so far.

Back at the condo we make a cup of tea, sit down and have a tasting session. Got to agree with M, Ding Dongs just have the edge over Twinkies... but still not quite up there with the Mexican cakes.

This is the problem when you have time on your hands, certain things become very important.

Last edited:
Were you at work on the 27 & 28 December? and have you ever eaten at The Reef?

Sounds like we could have been less than a 1/4 mile apart, could have thanked you personally for help you have given over the years. 
The hangar where the Spruce Goose was built is in an area of the city of Los Angeles that's now known as Playa Vista -- there are a number of tech companies in the area, such that it is sometimes referred to as "Silicon Beach" (along with the Venice neighborhood and the city of Santa Monica).

That's not to be confused with the place in Long Beach where the Spruce Goose was on display for many years.

At any rate, I was off work all that week -- the company I work for had the whole week as a holiday.

The hangar where the Spruce Goose was built is in an area of the city of Los Angeles that's now known as Playa Vista -- there are a number of tech companies in the area, such that it is sometimes referred to as "Silicon Beach" (along with the Venice neighborhood and the city of Santa Monica).

That's not to be confused with the place in Long Beach where the Spruce Goose was on display for many years.

At any rate, I was off work all that week -- the company I work for had the whole week as a holiday.
I guess most beaches are Silica Beaches.  :D

See that the tone of the thread has improved while we were away ha ha ha. Also see a new format for the forum which has altered the original posts a little, so perhaps some new features to learn.
Had to spend time elsewhere since the last posting due to a surprising amount of new work which included travel and the wonder that is Brexit. So to continue...

Saturday 30 December Day 17 ~ Pasadena, and how to build a float for the Rose Parade

France ~ Sunday 17 March 2019

Lazy morning as we had a mission for the afternoon and evening, to volunteer to help build a float with the Downey Rose Parade Association, La Canada Flintridge. The build site is 'Under the Bridge', a vast space under the I 210.
We had heard of volunteering for float building a few months before, thought it was a good thing to do and to get a better insight into what the Rose Parade means to Pasadena, Los Angeles and the entire USA.
We found an online list of various organisations that build floats, they were each different ranging from completely volunteer based (the Downey and I think one other association), and fully paid for from corporate funds. They each had different criteria which led us to choose 2, the Downey Association was the nearest. It had just one vacant shift left which suited us perfectly, 5 - 10pm on Sunday 30 December. Milton had arranged grandstand seats for 6 of us for the Rose Parade itself on the 1st January, and that was a very early start to arrive in time before the local roads were closed. Volunteering during the evening of the 30th gave us a day to prepare for a 3am start on the 1st.

Downey were an excellent choice, very friendly, helpful and prompt with all the details. We were all signed up and knowing where we had to be on the same day as we applied.

Arrived by 4pm as asked as there was an induction and then a short wait until we were allotted our various tasks. The site is far bigger then you would guess if driving over the bridge on the freeway, but the weather was cold, no very cold indeed. Being under a bridge creates an additional draught, a cold wind was even colder, but we had work to do so it would be ok.

We soon realised there were more volunteers than jobs, suppose they have to do this in the event that some do not turn up. But we were allotted a job to start us off, finish the fine detail of fish #1. By tradition and probably requirement all decorating material has to be organic, and unless I had seen it with my own eyes I wouldn't have believed it to be possible, but here's a photo to prove it.

Our first task, complete the fine detail on this amazing fish

s66533a.1.jpg

Some of the organic material - sliced lemon, sliced grapefruit, sliced beetroot, seeds, flakes of wheat, mushrooms and other things including a lot of two different types of glue.

To be continued...

Last edited:
Saturday 30 December Day 17 ~ Pasadena, and how to build a float for the Rose Parade

France ~ Monday 18 March 2019

Here's the fish in detail, who ever thought of and designed such a thing, it's a thing of wonder
s66534a.jpg

A young family from Chicago with 2 young girls explained what we should do, they spent about 15 minutes showing us all the tricks. They were lovely, down for the holidays to visit with her mum and dad. The 2 girls gave us the lowdown of the bits we didn't want to do. Rosie is like a magnet to young children due to her 30+ years as a primary teacher I suppose, they seem to want to tell her their life stories and can't get it out fast enough

The mix of nationalities and ethnicities is a big surprise too, and it worked very well too as everyone worked seamlessly next to who ever happened to be there.
s66542a.jpg

After a very cold stint we were to hand over to another couple, we were pleased to do that as standing for maybe an hour and a half almost without moving in particularly cold temperatures was seizing Rosie and Milton up.

Next couple of fish builders, very serious about their responsibility they were too. Spent about 30 minutes with them to relay all our fish building expertise.
s66544a.jpg

Saturday 30 December Day 17 ~ Pasadena, and how to build a float for the Rose Parade - Continued Part III

France ~ Monday 18 March 2019

With a joint decision we excused ourselves for 30 minutes to walk across the street for a cup of tea at MacDonald's. Can't remember the tea but the pleasure of being somewhere warm was a delight.

Back at the bridge fridge we waited with an even larger group of volunteers, 7:30pm on a bitterly cold Sunday evening there were no shortage of helpers still arriving.

Rosie then I took a few photos while we waited, Milton went and got a hot drink from the open-air canteen.

Tools and materials of the trade
s66547a.jpg

Volunteers, many waiting for the next assignment
s66552a.jpg

The 'Tree Frog Night' Rose Parade float taking shape
s66553a.jpg

And the Frog in question
s66562.1a.jpg

Thousands of roses and other flowers waiting to decorate the float
s66554a.jpg

Roses for the float
s66567a.jpg

We with 4 others returned to the holding pen where others we also waiting. To be fair as the float became increasingly completed the possible work space decreased. But Milton (he wont mind me mentioning it) is in his 80's and was on the point of turning blue, along with Rosie. So we decided to give it 20 minutes and if no further work was available would leave. In °C the wind chill was now below freezing, too much unless you are young.

Said our goodbyes all round and off we go, we talked all the way back to Canoga Park about this wonderful thing, the float.

Having had time to stand and watch how it was assembled, walked up and looked at many parts in detail, realised how big this float was, could see that possibly millions of different organic items including hundreds and hundreds of pounds of lentils and other tiny items were fixed by hand it was impossible not to be amazed that the floats get built at all.

This association were never less than friendly and helpful. Fully appreciative that all these volunteers (like themselves) had freely given their time and effort, and that they do this year after year out of funds that they raise.
Their purpose is to enhance civic pride and a sense of community, well worth supporting.

Sunday 31 December Day 18 ~ A recce trip to Pasadena then more company

France ~ Tuesday 19 March 2019

Milton needed to check out the lie of the land re where our grandstand was, how steep the steps were (for Norma) and exactly where was our reserved parking? He thought it was necessary as he had lost trust in our GPS (Gertie). Visited the main route, Colorado Blvd, Pasadena then saw our seating stand right under the TV cameras at the very start of the parade (how did he get those tickets?).
The section of Colorado Blvd we travelled had people strung along it already sitting and camping 24 hours before the parade starts, that's dedication for you, in particular as it was getting even colder

s66569a.jpg

Returned to Canoga Park, spent an hour moving boxes for Norma as she is emptying her old home, then back to Milton's. For Rosie and I we just had to make another visit to the Mexican bakers across the X roads, bought enough cakes to feed 6 people during the parade morning next day. We love this bakers as we discover even more new types of cake with every visit.

Late afternoon Marcie arrives, one of Milton's nieces who lives 'nearby' (2 hours away, after all it is LA). We had already met Marcie on a previous visit, full of life, good humour and a very sharp brain. Great company especially for Rosie. She stays overnight to visit the parade with her uncle, it's her first live Rose Parade visit.

Very nice evening after which Rosie and I think how lucky we are. By all accounts a great day out tomorrow, just a few days later another Amtrak rail journey on the Coast Starlight. A drive back down much of the coastal Highway 1 to follow before preparing to leave LA again on another adventure, with the great Bob Dylan popping up halfway round.

Milton suddenly announces we must leave at 2:45am, what! But he's captain of this particular parade ship so 2:45 it is.

Note: Not abandoning this travelogue again, but have to return to the UK for 4 or 5 days. After sorting a few things out we hope to take part in the anti-Brexit Peoples March in London this coming Saturday. Intend to continue here in around a week's time.

Last edited:
One of the problems that I find with "American tea" is that folk try to make it with hot water, rather than fully boiling temperatur

That's what is called "Tap Water Tea" here in The States. Fast but not too popular.

One can get hot water from the cafe car at most times, sadly it is not boiling... :D

Interestingly, I stayed at the Santa Monica hostel a few years ago, and got into conversation with an outreach guy helping the homeless. I guess if one is homeless and down on one's luck at least the weather in that area is better than most places.

Ed.

Last edited:

I have given up on trying to have any of my *good* tea on Amtrak. When I want my mid-morning cuppa, I just go to the cafe and drink Lipton out of a styrofoam cup. I've got the stainless travel mug and organic varietal teabags with me, in case I should happen to get a chance to use them, but it's an unexpected bonus if I do.

I have given up on trying to have any of my *good* tea on Amtrak. When I want my mid-morning cuppa, I just go to the cafe and drink Lipton out of a styrofoam cup. I've got the stainless travel mug and organic varietal teabags with me, in case I should happen to get a chance to use them, but it's an unexpected bonus if I do.

Hello Jennifer, couldn't you take a hook-on 110v water heater with you? guaranteed way to boil water even on a train.

Monday 1 January 2019 ... Day 19 ~ Pasadena Rose Parade - Part I

France ~ Thursday 4 April 2019

2:00am, Milton banged on the door of our room, bloody hell that's about 1 hour and 45 minutes sleep. Leave on time, pick up Norma and her daughter Gail, now there are six of us. Travelling with 4 sharp, intelligent, mischievous and awake women in a car for 1 1/2 hours at 3am is probably fun... for some.

Arrive at a different parking to our allotted space as that's where they directed us, but about the same distance to walk so no problem. The high wind forecast isn't happening, but it's pretty cold nonetheless. Many people are dressed as if for the mountains in winter, this is supposed to be southern California for goodness sake.
We were early (surprise) so we sat in the car and had a nap, but Rosie, Marcie and Milton let their excitement get the better of them, took a walk to see what was happening. Lots of people asleep on the sidewalks, some on mattresses, some on the pavement. To be honest Rosie thought it looked like a giant homeless peoples convention.
Saw one place open for food and drink, they were certainly going to be busy. Lots of toilets available, that's very good, and check points to check our bags before we could enter the grandstand area. This is a normal practice now at many places around the world.

We reached our seats at 7am, the parade started at 8am so not long to wait now.

Hero's of the parade

s66573a.jpg

A lot of people arriving

s66579a.jpg

Our seats are under one of the TV camera positions

s66581a.jpg

Directly under the camera boom

s66587a.jpg

Examples of SoCal dress code, waiting for the parade to start

n11781a.jpg

Next up was totally unexpected. A large black very quiet very low flying Stealth Bomber flew down the parade route very slowly, all conversation in the crowd stopped. We have only seen photos of such things before, it was a real monster from another planet, very very spooky indeed. Rosie and I sat there transfixed, I even had my camera on and at the ready but forgot to point it, amazing.
It's a bit of a shame for the parade as for all of us it was the main topic of what we remembered from the day, it is an experience unlike any other.

Start of the parade, sponsored by Honda

s66591a.jpg

An enormous marching band

s66601a.jpg

s66603a.jpg

s66617a.jpg

s66622a.jpg

To be continued...

Last edited:
I am a bit confused, what was the purpose or point of this?

You mean the purpose or point of the Rose Parade itself?

"In New York, people are buried in the snow. Here our flowers are blooming and our oranges are about to bear. Let's hold a festival to tell the world about our paradise." -- quote from one of the initial organizers (in 1890)

Somehow I couldn't quite see from Jamie's write up just what the Rose Parade was for, what it was celebrating, whether any charity or organisation benefited from it.
Nice to see folk working together and enjoying themselves!

Ed.

Somehow I couldn't quite see from Jamie's write up just what the Rose Parade was for, what it was celebrating, whether any charity or organisation benefited from it.
Nice to see folk working together and enjoying themselves!

Ed.

Didn't know anything about this parade either until it was mentioned to us about a year ago, and usually we wouldn't bother as we thought it wasn't our thing. When we learned we could participate with locals to help build a float it became interesting, to be part of what locals do for their community.

The story is above but here are a few facts for you and anybody contemplating visiting next year.

700,000 people attended the parade

TV audience of 72,000,000 (million), national and international viewers

The floats are built under various situations. Perhaps the majority are built by professional teams, there are actually 'float building' companies. The majority of these are for commercial sponsorship, money does flow from these through to various aspects of the community.

A smaller number are built by volunteers only for local projects or charities. Lookout for Part II to see where our volunteer only float came in the competition.

Some appear to be a combination of both.

The correct title for the parade is the Pasadena Tournament of Roses, it's a competition held within strict guidelines (only organic material can be used for decoration for example).

So Ed, money is raised for many types of local community purposes, it's far far bigger than maybe you or definitely we ever imagined. It's a great deal of fun with so many people in good humour, and some of the floats seen close-up are staggering considering what they are built from.

https://tournamentofroses.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/2018-2019_Tournament-of-Roses-Sales-Kit.pdf

Back